Astra 2E/2F Technical Thread

Q I think the point being made is that the dish is aligned to 19 degrees but it is receiving the channels from a satellite at 28 degrees......perhaps those on 19 degrees are on a wide beam which enables quite a deal of movement of the dish whilst getting reception so the dish may be closer to 28 degrees than 19 degrees.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="PaulT"]Q I think the point being made is that the dish is aligned to 19 degrees but it is receiving the channels from a satellite at 28 degrees......perhaps those on 19 degrees are on a wide beam which enables quite a deal of movement of the dish whilst getting reception so the dish may be closer to 28 degrees than 19 degrees.[/quote]

Well I have a dish pointing at Astra 1 @19.2 deg so I will plug it into my Humax box today and see but personally I don't think so, I think he is getting French TV.

Thanks both, Q, PaulT is spot on UK chanels.  From the setup menu you select the satellite from a drop down list, whilst selecting Astra 2E I didn't expect to actually get a single channel because of dish position but the TV just got on with downloading 200+ channels, hence my confusion. Surely this shouldn't be the case that it actually worked?

I connected my dish that points 19.2 deg to my Humax box and got nothing (having done a reset of course). I am just wondering if you have it pointing at 28.8 deg but think it is pointing at 19.2 deg. The frequencies on Astra 1 are quite different to Astra 2 for UK TV. Below is a link to the channels available @19.2 deg.

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra1l.php

I also have an LG TV with satellite receiver.

When you enter France as your country it defaults to Astra at 19E, but you still have to confirm and enter to search.

However you can change the satellite selection before any search, so select 28.2E and then search (with dish pointed at 28,2E), and you will get all the channels from that cluster.

I suspect that this is the action taken by the OP's youngling.

That is nearly correct, 28.2E was the satellite selected from the list but the dish wasn't moved and has been in place for 9years on the Astra1, 19E.  The next step was to move the dish but as the tv found 200+ channels and time was getting short and dusk was falling we left it. 

Still with the Sky box retired and lots more channels and regional channels guest will no doubt be happy. I will tackle, or try to, some french channels another time but I didn't expect any channels until the dish was moved to 28.2E

Not much point in trying to get French TV by satellite, unless you are intending to sign up for Canal+.

You will get all the 20 main channels either from the Barrou transmitter, or if you prefer Tours local telly rather than Bourges, then point the aerial towards Descartes!

Hi All,

I'm back again for any updates people in the Var may have relating to BBC, ITV etc.

We have a house in Flayosc 83780 and have shipped a 1.3m dish down there. It has been mounted in the garden and also purchased a new Golden Media 0.1db Octo LNB (yet to be fitted) Has anyone had any luck recently with picking up the missing terrestrial channels on Sky/FreeSat?

We currently have 2 x Sky+ boxes and 2 x Manhattan Free Sat boxes.

I've not been down since my last message in late May but will be going there in 2 weeks time so any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Over and out,

[quote user="BJSLIV"]Not much point in trying to get French TV by satellite, unless you are intending to sign up for Canal+. You will get all the 20 main channels either from the Barrou transmitter, or if you prefer Tours local telly rather than Bourges, then point the aerial towards Descartes![/quote]

We have French satellite via Orange and we get Canal+ free for two hours per night on Astra 19.2. Most English language series and films can be watched in English if you want including Morse etc. Most game show series originated in the UK so you know the formular and its great to play along improving your French at the same time. You need to remember that there are still large areas of France (particularily down south) where no terestial TV is available and if you don't have 4mbs plus internet speed then you need a dish.

[quote user="Théière"]That is nearly correct, 28.2E was the satellite selected from the list but the dish wasn't moved and has been in place for 9years on the Astra1, 19E.  The next step was to move the dish but as the tv found 200+ channels and time was getting short and dusk was falling we left it. 

Still with the Sky box retired and lots more channels and regional channels guest will no doubt be happy. I will tackle, or try to, some french channels another time but I didn't expect any channels until the dish was moved to 28.2E
[/quote]Theiere (sorry, no accents today) assuming it is only a simple dish with a single LNB, it must only be pointing at Astra2 sat and not Astra 1 19.0 If you are getting the BBC etc then you will get no French TV on this dish. If you do get French TV as well, it means that there is another dish setup going on. Danny

Thats exactly what I was thinking but was worrie I might be wrong.

The easy answer should be simple, what is the first channel number on the TV. If it is pointing at 28.2 and is using FreeSat then it should be BBC1/SD on channel 101. If it is French Satellite TV then it should be France 1/HD on channel 1 (not101)

[quote user="Danny"][quote user="Théière"]That is nearly correct, 28.2E was the satellite selected from the list but the dish wasn't moved and has been in place for 9years on the Astra1, 19E.  The next step was to move the dish but as the tv found 200+ channels and time was getting short and dusk was falling we left it. 

[/quote]Theiere (sorry, no accents today) assuming it is only a simple dish with a single LNB, it must only be pointing at Astra2 sat and not Astra 1 19.0 If you are getting the BBC etc then you will get no French TV on this dish. If you do get French TV as well, it means that there is another dish setup going on. Danny[/quote]

Yes I agree, despite selecting the Astra 2 satellite from the list on the TV, it must be still receiving from Astra 1 because that would be common sense, maybe the LG is a lot smarter than the owners [;-)]  My other HD sat system which I couldn't find Astra2 would simply say no signal if you tried the same (selecting Astra2 satellite on the tuner and dish pointing at a different one)

Either way, throwing off the shackles of Sky opens up a whole new range of channels, I have now found a new religion and have a set of shiny new saucepans and a garden set.....................[:)]