No More BBC i Player in France

There has been talk about this for months (I think it was May that I first saw it). Some VPN services have already been block. There was talk about using your TV licence number as a 'log in' to get round the issue of licence payers going abroad for a couple of months but I don't know whats happened to that idea.

Personally we use a DNS service which can be set on any device including Humax boxes and Smart TV's and no software is involved. We have access to all the 'IPlayer' type services and it works quite well. The beauty of this system is the 'data' is not going through a third party, it comes directly from the BBC servers. It's also a lot cheaper than many VPN services, less than £5 per month even cheaper if you buy a years worth of access in one go.

However as it says it will be like playing that game of "Whack-a-Mole" because as soon as one gets block another will replace it. I was wondering how you go about getting your money back if you have paid for a years worth up front and they block your VPN?

I've never used iPlayer so I won't miss it either.

Is there really that much on UK TV or radio that you can't just record it in the first place? (Humax for example).

We rarely watch any live TV (I know that's the idea of iPlayer) but we record anything we want to watch (which is the whole point of having a HDD in the receiver) and have never found a need for iPlayer.

I don't know why the UK broadcasters can't just come up with a system for allowing viewers abroad, who don't have a UK licence, to subscribe instead enabling them to access via the internet, and do it legally. I presume there are other restrictions placed on them such as not being allowed to broadcast outside UK.

[quote user="sid"]

I don't know why the UK broadcasters can't just come up with a system for allowing viewers abroad, who don't have a UK licence, to subscribe instead enabling them to access via the internet, and do it legally. I presume there are other restrictions placed on them such as not being allowed to broadcast outside UK.

[/quote]

You might just find that the French broadcasters and their protectionism has a lot do with that situation. After all if it was available, who would watch French television? Apart from a few self styled I'm more French than you immigrants. [:D]

I have both French and UK tv licenses and what really galls me is that I can watch French television all over Europe with a 60cm dish (mounted on top of camper) as well as Dutch and German with no fall off of signal but as soon as you get outside of the UK footprint then no UK tv , unless you have a $ky contract.

This must be against the freedom of movement in Europe. I know the license fee is to pay the BBC for there over staffed offices etc but something needs to be done....

[quote user="elamessa"]I have both French and UK tv licenses and what really galls me is that I can watch French television all over Europe with a 60cm dish (mounted on top of camper) as well as Dutch and German with no fall off of signal but as soon as you get outside of the UK footprint then no UK tv , unless you have a $ky contract. This must be against the freedom of movement in Europe. I know the license fee is to pay the BBC for there over staffed offices etc but something needs to be done....[/quote]

You can watch some programs on the IPlayer but very few and the reason for not being able to see them on satellite is the same. These days most of the BBC programs are made by external companies and they hold the copyright and licence to these programs. Many programs like Top Gear and Morse (as an example) bring in a lot of money for both the BBC and ITV because other countries have to pay for the right to show them. It's not to do with your licence thats just to be able to use a TV in the UK although the money goes primarily to the BBC it is about broadcasting rights. As these (French and German) satellites get older (they use the same satellite at 19.3e) and are replaced you may well find that their beams are reduced as well making their reception more localised. By the way the Sky channels are also on the narrow.

The BBC did offer a pay to view service for Iplayer abroad but they stopped it some time back.

I would like to know, and perhaps somebody like Idun can tell us as she watched French TV in the UK that as most French TV channels have "catch up" if French TV though the internet is blocked in the UK.

[quote user="elamessa"]This must be against the freedom of movement in Europe.[/quote]Is that what you really think freedom of movement is about, the availability - or otherwise - of a particular TV channel ?

Breathtaking if you do and what next, a complaint to the court of human rights that you can't buy Tesco pork and leek sausages or Melton Mowbray pork pies in your local Carrefour !

You might just find that the French broadcasters and their protectionism has a lot do with that situation. After all if it was available, who would watch French television? Apart from a few self styled I'm more French than you immigrants.

Err, maybe the 60 million French viewers, I'm sure that they would enjoy and appreciate UK TV were they to be able to recieve it but I have been trying really hard to foist off my Skybox to every French family that I know especially with children in education but all I get is the automatic ferme Non-non-non-non-non.

I barely Watch any TV now, it was all French until a year or so ago when I got the Skybox then it was a UK fest, I have now got my French channels through TNT par antenne and was surprised to find that with the right setting up the majority of the films and series shown in the week come on with an English soundtrack.

With three recorders  going 24/7 and a combined potential capacity of  something in excess of 600 hours of programming I won't be shedding any tears if I can't access the iPlayer

In mot tways ANO we are so alike but in others like the above we could not be more different, vive la difference! I have now lost my recording facility by ditching the Freebox for TNT par antenne, it was no loss as in 8 years I had recorded 2 programs, neither of them had I actually subsequently watched.

Once you have rid yourself of the addiction of watching series, or télé-réalité or whatever it is these days in my experience there is absolutely no need for a recoding device, films and documentaries always come round again fairly swiftly. 

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Nick P.

If you don't watch UK TV or French TV what type of immigrant are you ? Are you more American ?[/quote]

Who said I don't watch UK or French TV? Considering I intimated in my comment that I thought French TV was a pile of poo, that might have given you a clue. I bet you were one of those kids who the teacher made sit in the front of the class 'cause you didn't pay attention. Also I'm not an immigrant, just a long stay tourist.[:P]