Cat Terrorising Mine

I have seven cats all who live happily together and that have access to the house through a cat flap.  The problem I have is there is a new cat on the block who has decided he is going to beat the cxxx, literally, out of my cats.  I have, so far, spent nearly a 100 euros at the vet getting them treated for bite wounds.  This morning at 6.00am I was woken to cats screaming downstairs where I found my elderly 17 year old cat cowering in the corner having been attacked.  Any ideas on how I deter the stray cat  from coming in the house?  Yes I could lock the cat flap at night but doing that every night and making sure the cats are in isn't a option.

Please can anyone help me?

Deborah

Yes, this problem happened to my cats a few years ago with a huge tom coming through the flap. I waited in the kitchen for a couple of evenings and eventually gave the animal a through smacking with a broom handle, aided by my two cats who joined in then. The 'visitor' left, taking the cat flap with him round his neck and never came back. Which is a pity because he was a lovely animal.

I love woollybanana's replies and thoroughly agree the sentiment! We have, however, used a water pistol, actually one of those water 'cannons', and a sharp jet of water will make that cat run like hell. However, you will have to sit wait in the kitchen for however long it takes for the intruder to make his appearance!

[quote user="nectarine"]I love woollybanana's replies and thoroughly agree the sentiment! We have, however, used a water pistol, actually one of those water 'cannons', and a sharp jet of water will make that cat run like hell. However, you will have to sit wait in the kitchen for however long it takes for the intruder to make his appearance![/quote]

Cats mark there teritory with urine and often their subordinates [:-))]

Fill your water pistol or cannon with your own urine and mark the blighter (gosh that was polite) they will not return.

I will say no more to save embarrasment, helps if you are a good shot [;-)]

[quote user="louis"]I'll personally chop his nuts if I catch the bloody thing.[/quote]Brave words louis. I take though that you have never caught or even cornered a feral cat, much less tried to 'chop it's nuts off'.

Let me tell you from personal experience that they can bite through welding gloves and will rip you to shreds given the slightest chance. Out of the two of you I'd say it would be YOUR nuts most at risk [+o(]

When I worked in a vets in the UK we had a metal cage called a squeeze and once you caught the cat in it there was a section of mesh that moved across the cage to squash the cat so we could inject it to make it sleepy and then we used to chop its nuts off.

ErnieY I am female so I have no nuts!!!

How do you get your urine into a water pistol?

[quote user="louis"]

Yes I could lock the cat flap at night but doing that every night and making sure the cats are in isn't a option.

Please can anyone help me?

Deborah

[/quote]

Why is it not an option? It's what I do with mine[8-)]

>Yes I could lock the cat flap at night but doing that every night and making sure the cats are in isn't a option.<

make home, HOME.

There are cat flaps that selectively allow entrance. The selected cats have to wear a magnet round their collar. Ours have managed over many years. Worth a try ?

For the last three nights we have placed a large mirror in front of the cat flap and left the light on so if he came in he would see his own reflection and hopefully frighten him off.  It has worked so far and my cats don't seem bothered.

Fill your water cannon with diluted TCP solution. If you don't fancy micturating into it.

It really stinks and is extremely persistent: and cats don't like it much!

I have had serious cat problems in the garden: however a burst of water from the toy well laced with TCP makes the little buggers run away at very high speed and they don't seem to come back!

So a cat loving friend tells me, cats hate any strong non-normal smell on their coats: mainly since it threatens 'em, as they cannot identify it.

No doubt in the near future a smart**** mog will inform the local cat gang that it's only Trichlorophenylmethyliodosalicyl, and nothing to worry about.

Sadly our queen is no longer with us: she used to take on Alsations!

That's the UK sorted: now for that feeral bloody cat in la belle; who wees along the terrace in the ornamental box hedges: now he very definitely is for the nuts treatment!

Re selective catflaps - we have used for years a catflap from Staywell which uses a radio signal.  The active bit is in a small lumpy thing ("key") attached to the cat's collar and the door works off the mains with a transformer or whatever (no risk of shock).  I would highly recommend it.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="sweet 17"]What, Gluey, you're going to give him nuts to eat in the hope that he'll choke on them?[/quote]

When I collar the little sod, Sweets, he will finish up a zillion miles away..........................

Mrs Gluey and I love all animals: one of the things we absolutely love about our place is the fantastic wildlife. We even have pheasants nesting at the bottom; How could anyone shoot something as totally beautiful as that, unless they were genuinely starving?

But that mog................

[6]