Should we try the SPA

We are hoping to find a rescue dog this year.  There is a lovely English woman not ever so far away who does a good job running a pet rescue.  If she doesn't have a dog that seems right for us, I wonder about the SPA.  I've been told they are depressing to visit and probably have lots of hunting type dogs.  Also, our dog will need to be OK with cats.  The SPA may not have enough time to get to know their dogs and not know their history.   Any thoughts?

YES GO...... Even if you dont find the right dog for you at least you will of tryed ... I have visited my local one a few times now , I dont find it depressing in fact the oppersite the people there have been kind and loverly to the animals the place was clean and at the least the animals are being fed , cared for and off the streets..... Ours had a hugh mixture of types of dogs ......The sad fact of life is you cant get to know the type of dog you have untill you get it home but like you say at least the staff will have spent some time with it and know a little of its nature and history.... but even if you brought a shop brought puppy you have no way of knowing how it will turn out really ,,,

Good luck I hope you find the one for you

Our Charley came from the SPA in Cloyes sur Loire.   He is adoreable with such a character (even if he didn't speak English at the time), but he is happily bilingual now and we are delighted to have him here with us.

Do giv the SPA a try.   Browse their websites and see the animals yearning for a kind loving home.    The dog for you is waiting there to be discovered!!

[quote user="Llantony"]We are hoping to find a rescue dog this year.  There is a lovely English woman not ever so far away who does a good job running a pet rescue.  If she doesn't have a dog that seems right for us, I wonder about the SPA.  I've been told they are depressing to visit and probably have lots of hunting type dogs.  Also, our dog will need to be OK with cats.  The SPA may not have enough time to get to know their dogs and not know their history.   Any thoughts?[/quote]

Do not waste time - go tomorrow. We ended up with a very fun Belgian Shepherd dog.

We got our rescue Podenco cross (he's like a greyhound/black Lab cross but with big, sticky-up ears!...he's in my photo on here! The Spanish use them for hunting and they are very badly treated in Spain) from L'Europe des Levriers, via Magnolia who was fostering him. Inspite of his unfortunate start in life, he has settled in well and is adorable. He regularly goes for walks with our Dutch neighbour and her SPA rescue English Setter, who she got a few months ago. Her dog is 7 years old and was very traumatised. However, within a very short time, within a loving enviroment with plenty of excercise, he became a normal dog again and is now a beautiful looking dog with a very loving, friendly nature. It's wonderful to see them run free together in the field beside us. I would urge you, if you can find it in your heart to offer a rescue dog a caring, secure home, to please give one of them perhaps the only chance they so deservingly need. While the transition time for you and the dog to get to know each other may take a little time, the rewards are priceless! It is difficult to choose a rescue dog and you do have to be prepared to have patience as most of them will come with some issues. Try to choose one that you think will suit your lifestyle. At least, if it is an adult dog, you will have an idea of size, possible breed (or an idea of what type of cross!), temperament, etc. When you take him home, remember to show him that you are the boss (no matter how sorry you feel for him!) as you need to show him, in the words of the Dog Whisperer, that you are the "pack leader"! Keep him on the lead, invite him into your home, after you, and show him around in the same manner. We insist that our dog sits and waits even before he is allowed out. It does work! Good luck and best wishes.

Phoenix Association based in the Dordogne always have dogs waiting for adoption; their website www.phoenixasso.com has pictures of some of their current menagerie.  Theirs are all rescue dogs, many from the SPA, but will have spent time with the Association's foster carers who can therefore assess how the animal is with children, cats, chickens etc.  And any dog adopted from them makes space for another unwanted pooch, whether from the SPA or elsewhere.....

Val

Yes, I've seen the Phoenix website.  There was dog I really fancied but we were going to UK for Christmas and, understandably they want to home dogs asap to make space for more.  Just as well: he was a little dog with a withered front paw, his name was Louis.  It was several weeks later that my husband said 'just as well we didn't have that dog'.  It had just dawned on him that our French neighbour is a lovely little guy with a withered arm - and he's called Louis!

Hi Llantony - Trev came from the SPA via Christine Animal on this site.  The SPA was sad because there were so many animals there, but they understood my worries and spent time assessing Trevor before I had him (tested him with female dogs, children etc).  He stiil had problems when he arrived, not house trained, not good at letting people into the house, but nothing we couldn't work on.  If you are worried about falling in love with something unsuitable then call them first and ask them to show you some dogs that meet your requirements.  Some will already have lived with cats etc.  They want to find homes for their dogs so I'm sure they'll spend some time trying to find you the right dog.  Go for it!

Yes, go look, we adopted our Lou Lou from the SPA in Marsac. It is saddening to see and hear so many dogs crying out for a home (and cats too) but go and see what they have.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/Lisleoise/Family%20and%20pet%20photos/ArchivedPhotos056.jpg[/IMG]

• 1 month later...
Well, we didn't get as far as the SPA, neither did the dog.  Phoenix saved her from the pound or she would have gone to SPA.  We thought of a slightly bigger dog but there she was.  A small poodle type, very cute.  I say a cross between Shawn the Sheep and a teddy bear!  Very nervous at first, cringed into the floor if we reached towards her.  Getting better all the time.  I'd add a photo if I knew how.

I would give them a try. We have been after a puppy for some time now (OK well since the new year). The reason we want a puppy is because we have cats and chickens, the latter have the run of the garden (and the house given a chance) and it would be heartbreaking to find a dog, bring it home, only to find it chases the cats and kills the chickens. Hopefully with a puppy we will be able to introduce it to the rest of the 'family' and train it to leave the animals alone.

Our first puppy from the SPA in Carcassonne only stayed with us for about 20 hours then went to the vets and died 4 days later through Parvovirus. The SPA did refund the fee and pay for half the vets bill. You can read about it in another thread HERE.

We will be getting our second puppy next week. This time we have insisted that he (the other was a female) has all his jabs plus the incubation period afterwards before we collect him. We don't want to go through what happened last time again. So he will have been there for 2 extra weeks but well worth it.

If your reading this Pads he is the little dumpy fella with the red fabric collar.

It is depressing when you visit and the noise is unbelievable, all that barking etc. Take your time and if you don't see anything the first time go back every week or so until you find the one that fits you and you bond with and which bonds with you, you will know what I mean when you find the right dog, something just clicks. Don't be rushed or obliged to take a dog, its bad for you and even worse, bad for the dog. They usually have an excersise area that you can ask if you can take the dog too for a play away from the other dogs, well worth doing.

One thing I have always done in the past with the exception of the last puppy was to book a vets appointment after collection for a full 'MOT' as it were. It wouldn't have stopped what happened to the little puppy with the parvovirus as it probably was not detectable at that time but its worth doing, can save a lot of heartache.

Hope you find what your looking for and good luck.

Llantony
- really pleased that you got a rescue dog.  When I read your first posting about wondering whether to go to the SPA as you'd heard they were 'depressing to visit' ... can you imagine what they're like for the poor little dogs that have to live there ?   Yes, it's not fun to go there, but surely the idea of saving one from that life is worth it ...

We got our gorgeous boxer from our local SPA - but as I feel we were still mourning the passing of our old boxer, I feel she rescued us rather than the other way round !  [:D]

Our Charley gave from the Loire  SPA at Grandes Betonnieres (???) - I think thats how its spelt!    This is a new place and they were still building it when we were there so they are'nt all depressing - the saddest thing is knowing that humans cause the misery and heartache that force these poor animals into such places, but if you can rescue just ONE and give them a loving home its so worthwhile.

And nicest thing of all was seeing the genuine care and love shown to the poor animals.   The monsieur in charge had a tear in his eye when we said "Yes!" we wanted Charley, because he had grown fond of him over the long months he had waited for his new family to come along.

This is Charley a little while ago sprawled-out on the path sunbathing, doing exactly what he does best.   Snoring!!

[IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/moya011/IMG_1308.jpg[/IMG]

We made a difference to Charley's life yet there are too many others out there needing a kind, loving family to belong to so if you can help PLEASE DO!!!   

• 2 months later...

Hi, thanks to all who replied a while back.  I didn't mean to be unkind about the SPA, they do a great job  I'm sure.  I just had the feeling that they were overwhelmed and might not have a chance to get to know the animals so they can tell prospective adopters about problems, bad habits etc. For instance, I had to have a dog that was OK with cats.  Also they do send animals out un-neutered, even pregnant, and apparently sometimes ill.  I guess it's lack of money.

I am delighted with my pooch, tho we had envisaged a slightly larger dog.  I called her a 'poodly type mutt' but we've just taken her for a haircut and she is a real miniature poodle!  I rather preferred the scruffy mutt.  She is a sweetie and, though still nervous of some people and still cringes to the floor if frightened, she is now normally a perky and very happy little dog.  She does hate to be left, understandably, and barks non-stop if we leave her in the car - but I guess she is worried she'll be abandoned again.