biting kitten

mooky

My kitten is five months old, and has some siamese in her. She is very very pretty to look at , but she bites all the time. It is now a bit tiresome. No tickle tummys, no stroking? She crawls down my bed at night and bites. What can I do to prevent this. Or is it just her. I've had many kittens before and they haven't done this all the time. I don't know what to do. Thanks 

Our cat (battersea special) is believed to be half siamese (or as the vet in UK put it - he's got a bit of the oriental in him!).

And yes, he was a chronic biter.   Still bites OH occasionally but never me.    Whenever she does it, pick her up, plonk her on the floor (don't fling obviously, but don't be mamby pamby about it, but firm and matter of fact), say nothing and walk away.   Ignore her for a good 5 minutes.   Continue to do this for as long as it takes.     If she is anything like mine she will learn quite quickly.  OH didn't do this consistently with our cat, hence he still feels free to munch up OH but not me.   If it's really bad a VERY firm NO! (almost a shout, but not toooo scary worked also).   If the tail twitches angrily for several moments after the reprimand and dump on floor, then she is starting to get the message !!

Worth a try, can't guarantee it though !!

I think she acting like you are mom and she needs you to teach her the boundaries of polite feline behaviour.

If she bites, take her firmly (but gently!) by the scruff of the neck and give her a gentle shake, just with her front paws off the ground... or your lap... or wherever she happens to be and you say "no". Then put her on the floor and ignore her. I've had several rescue kittens who've play-bitten and used their claws and I've not tolerated it. All of them stopped very quickly and none of them have been scarred by the experience. [:P] Remember that cat bites if they're deep enough will turn sceptic very quickly so nipping that draws blood is definitely to be discouraged.

I'm ignoring your mustard habits [:P] but am delighted you are otherwise so wonderful. [;-)]

[quote user="mooky"]

Yes she keeps drawing blood from me, and bites my face.

No I am not a mouse nor a man but, a very feminist, lovely, lively, luscious WOMAN, who licks mustard like most men lick loppipops.

[/quote]

You might wish to rephrase your post if you don't want late night callers of the dodgy kind. On the other hand...[6]

Others are right, admonish in a cat way with deep angry voice.

Watch a female tiger or a leopard with their cubs!

Bite her!

It's called Aversion Therapy. And, it works.

You bite me: I bite you. I'm bigger than you: I can hurt more!

You are in this case the surrogate Mum. Behave like one.

No need to draw blood, of course; just a sharp nip.

Simple animal pyschology: "If I do X, I get smacked on the head! It hurts! I won't do that anymore!"

Kittens and puppies are the same as children: that's how they learn.

So I have to bite her and hit her on the head. I don't know if I can do that. I've never done that to my kids. I can't do that I am a woman of the cloth, and a retired social worker. I'll get put on the cats offenders register! I was just about to write p***y offenders  but that sounds rude.There is a picture of the little darling on the thread, cute kittens. She looking at me as if she is going to have a bite. Which bit am I supposed to bite? I would be absolutley no good on I'm a celebrity would I? Oh crikey I can't even spell lolipop .

When my kitten (now long gone - she died at 18 years of age) used to bite me, I would bite (quite gently) the loose fur at her throat, shake my head with her fur in my mouth and growl quietly. Sounds weird, I know, but she soon got the idea that her behaviour was not acceptable to me, and gave up biting me! She understood that as I was bigger and stronger, it wasn't a good idea. I suppose the message was 'I could kill you, if I wanted to'. They understand every word, cats!

M

[quote user="mooky"]So I have to bite her and hit her on the head. I don't know if I can do that. I've never done that to my kids. I can't do that I am a woman of the cloth, and a retired social worker. I'll get put on the cats offenders register! I was just about to write p***y offenders  but that sounds rude.There is a picture of the little darling on the thread, cute kittens. She looking at me as if she is going to have a bite. Which bit am I supposed to bite? I would be absolutley no good on I'm a celebrity would I? Oh crikey I can't even spell lolipop .[/quote]

That's twice

Have a third go at the spelling of l-------

[quote user="mooky"]

Yes she keeps drawing blood from me, and bites my face.

No I am not a mouse nor a man but, a very feminist, lovely, lively, luscious WOMAN, who licks mustard like most men lick loppipops.

[/quote]

Being a very feminist, lovely, lively, luscious WOMAN,    hey!       you can make as many spelling mistakes as you like!

[quote user="mooky"]Which bit am I supposed to bite?[/quote]

Any bit that definitely has not been washed by a raspy little tongue that immediately beforehand was rasping a crappy little bum. [+o(]

In other words, don't bite - do the shake and drop thing. If you must cause pain, "nip" the kitten's ear with your nails as ears are sensitive. Always include the NO as you'll eventually want the NO to be sufficient deterrent.

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="mooky"]Which bit am I supposed to bite?[/quote]

Any bit that definitely has not been washed by a raspy little tongue that immediately beforehand was rasping a crappy little bum. [+o(]

[/quote]

Of course, since her tongue lives in her mouuth and she has been biting you and drawing blood, you are already infected by dozens of nice little spirocotic bugs![;-)]

So wash her damned leg first then! [:D]

I did as instructed and gave her a little nip on her neck. She went Eeeek and scratched me in the face! We had a nice walk in the woods today, she follows me everywhere. Little darling!!!! I don't know why the last bit is in capitals. As we speak she is sitting on my lap looking at the screen.