Help with giving tablets...

Rose

Dear all - as you may know our cat has been a bit under the weather and we now have to give him 3 tablets two times a day.  We can't hide them in his food as he has to eat the dry food given to us from the vet and he eats around the tablets... we're currently wrapping a towel around him (to stop him clawing me!) and I hold him while OH tried to pop the little devils in his mouth.  It takes ages for him to take just one and he just refuses to open his mouth... now if he sees us approaching he runs away...

Any ideas as to how we can adminster them in a quick and easy way?

Many thanks [:D]

Have you tried dipping them in butter?  If you do this and start off by seeing if he will just eat them but if not then you will have to resort to the more physical way but they go down easier and also it is a more pleasant for him.  Also if you do have to go down the forceful route then give him something nice before and after the tablet.  Cheese is a good treat as most cats like it.

Gail

This is a problem isn't it, especially if a cat is not tame!  I have a device called a "lance pilule" which is supposed to shoot it down their throat, but doesn't always work either and they soon get fed up with it, normal.

Like Gail I use butter, but crush the tablet first into powder, then mix it with the butter and rub it all over his lips.  He is then obliged to lick it all.  But you have several to give a day, quite a job!

[quote user="Rose"]

We can't hide them in his food as he has to eat the dry food given to us from the vet and he eats around the tablets...

Any ideas as to how we can adminster them in a quick and easy way? [/quote]

We have a similar situation with our extremely aged and poorly cat who is a master at not eating tablets; so we buy special wet cat food in 'barquettes' from the vet. At meal times when Badger is hungry I place 1 tablet in a morsel of wet food and serve it to him in an otherwise empty bowl, repeat until tablets are consumed then give the rest of the cat food.

Cannot guarantee results but it works at our house - thank goodness.

Sue [:)]

We use the towel method to restrain our cats (& stop the 6 inch long & 1 inch deep cuts that would result otherwise).  I would also suggest that whoever is doing the "tablet inserting" to get his jaws (the cats, that is) as wide as possible & get all 3 tablets down at once.  Food afterwards will make him associate the regime as a prelude to something good.

We had a cat that had to get 8 tablets a day, for over a year - after about a month he would arrive in at tea time & sit on the kitchen bench, exactly where we would give him is medication & wait patiently for his tables before eating. 

Good luck!!  [:)]

I do sympathise - forcing a cat to do anything it doesn't want to do is not an easy task. Vets have a technique for administering tablets. If all else fails and no other suggestions help it might be worth getting the vet to demonstrate. They have a way of getting the cat to open its mouth, then they hold it shut and get the cat to swallow - I think they stroke its throat (not sure) and the cat swallows. I remember thinking my cat was looking slightly surprised afterwards!

There are two methods I have used in the past but both involve giving the cat something it wants to eat.

I once managed to train a cat to take a tablet from the end of my finger. This was a very spirited tortoishelle and I think we had given up on trying to force her to take a tablet. The cat was on a diet of liquidised chicken. I used to have the chicken in a bowl in one hand ready to give the cat so the cat could see and smell it. I put the tablet on the end of my finger in the other hand. She took the tablet from me and then I gave her the chicken. It was a long time ago (over 20 years) and I'm not sure how I got her started but once she got the idea it worked and was easy.

More recently with another cat I micro-waved very lightly from frozen a small amount of fish fillet so that it was liquidy (we were in the uk and could buy small blocks of frozen coley fillet but obviously any fillet would do)and then crushed and mixed in the tablet. I sometimes kept a little unadulterated fish to give after the tablety fish was eaten.

Hope you find a way - Good Luck.

Lorna.

[quote user="ali-cat"]

We had a cat that had to get 8 tablets a day, for over a year - after about a month he would arrive in at tea time & sit on the kitchen bench, exactly where we would give him is medication & wait patiently for his tables before eating. 

Good luck!!  [:)]

[/quote]

EIGHT for a year!  OMG... thank goodness you trained him well!  We'll try the butter trick tonight and see how we get on... he likes butter.  Normally he's as dopey as anything but put a tablet near him and he just refuses to co-operate... I think though (as he's a pig by name and nature) some lovely butter will do the trick! [:D]

thanks for all the good advice... I'll let you kow how we get on!

I can vouch for using pate.   We hide the tablet inside a blob of pate and its gone in one!   Ours are also partial to camembert or brie which you can easily disguise a pill inside.   It works on the principle of what they can't see they won't fret about, and they are both so blooming greedy that they don't give the offerrings a second glance if they think they have had a good result!

My method is via the throat, only because they sniff the tablets out in anything, including smelly cheese.  I then immediately follow it up the tablet with a choc drop (of similar) as (a) a reward and (b) a way of getting them to swallow the tablet, which can linger in their throat.

The idea of wrapping in a towel is a good one.  Poor you, having to catch the cat first.  Poor cat.

Oh he's a tinker... I can see we're going to have a fun few weeks!!!

so far... no to butter, no to cream , no to cheese...

we've tried crushing and cutting...

no to chicken and no to chicken in gravy... what kind of scense of smell does this cat have!

We thought we'd cracked it with some mackerell... until he happily spat the tablet out again at the end...

We went back to chuck it down the thoat with the towel around him... and he just point blank refused to open his mouth... and yes we tried putting butter on his lips and nose and shoved the tablet in... and he spat it back out again!

ARGHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry... it's a tad frustrating!... Now where's he gone now...

Piggy... here boy... [8-)] [blink] [:-))] [:D]

Sorry Rose, can't help here. I have a similar problem getting hold of one of our cats to apply frontline etc. The last time I grabbed her tail and now she won't come anywhere near me. But on the other hand, surely the cat must drink. Can you break up the tablets into his water/milk?

I would go back to the vet as he/she will probably be able to give you this in a liquid form then you can use one of those pipette thingys they sell to swish down his throat! MUCH easier than tablets (you might be able to grind up the tablets and mix with water to use with this)! Our vets would have happily administered tablets for us each day if we had wanted. We found them to be very obliging and they charged very little when we needed to see them on a daily basis at the end of our pussycats' lives!

Hi

I have had experience of having to force feed tablets to cats in the past! If all else fails and you have to resort to the wrapping in a towel and force feeding then here is the way I do it. If you have a helper then it should make it easier, although I found that my helper wasn't much help so I found it easier on my own! Decide who is going to hold and who is going to force feed.

Wrap cat firmly in large towel and hold firmly, partly under your arm or infront, with same arm firmly over towel and round the front paws. Other hand also firmly round front paws. You can wear thick (leather) gloves. It's best if you can position the cat on top of something, like the washing machine, and place the cat so it's back is at a wall, or with it's back infront of your body, so it can't back out. It's just easier than trying to grapple on the floor!

Now, the other person must put one hand over the cat's forehead and with thumb and first finger, firmly prise open the cat's mouth at each corner (it's mouth will automatically open). This may sound harsh but it doesn't hurt the cat and, if you're firm and confident, it works well. Then, with your free hand pop the tablet, already coated in a little butter or tasty cat food as far back into the cat's mouth as possible and quickly, physically shut the cat's mouth (before it gets the chance to move the tablet forward in it's mouth). Firmly hold it's mouth closed and tilt it's head upwards and keep stroking it's throat. If you feel it wants to swallow, gently relax your grip around it's mouth to see if it is going to swallow. If it does, job done, if not, retighten your grip and keep stroking until the job gets done! Best if you can get it done first time so the cat won't get too stressed about it so don't be frightened to be firm and confident in your actions.

This may sound complicated but with a little practise you can get into a routine and it need only take a couple of minutes. Also, sometimes you have to be "cruel" to be kind and remember it won't hurt the cat and hopefully, it won't be on the tablets for too long!!

Hope this helps.

OK... exasperated of the dordogne here!  [:(]

We've tried everything suggested and so far it's us 2 Pig 4... We've found photos on the internet of the method you describe and he just flat refuses to open his mouth.  We've done this before so many times with other cats but this little chap is not going to play ball!!! [:@] He's even stopped struggling in the blanket... most probably to maintain his concentration on keeping his mouth shut! [blink]

I took this picture earlier after our third attempt this morning... can you see, Tikka is laughing and Pig is sticking his tongue out!!! [:$]

I guess the only thing left is for us to do now is return to the vet... he hasn't had any tablets yet today... I wish he could understand how important it is! 

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/ppspecs/tongue2.jpg[/IMG]

Put tablets in small wad of butter.

Put butter in freezer for 20 mins.

Pre-chill fingers immediately before taking pills out of freezer to slow down melting of butter on fingers.

Our cats sleep on tables etc so they're at a good height for pill administration.

Walk briskly up to cat - ideally while it's asleep.

At no point make eye contact with the cat.

Partner in crime holds cat firmly by scruff of neck - cat submits (mother cat does the scruff of neck thing) and doesn't fight.

As much.

As scruff of neck is held, get partner-in-crime to tilt cat's head upwards as you pull jaws open and throw the buttery tablets down back of throat.

Partner continues to hold cat by scruff of neck while you hold cat's mouth closed and rub it's throat.

Stand back.

Check for ejected pills.

Pick up ejected pills.

Sob quietly.

If no pills are ejected, partner releases cat.

Partner stands back. Quickly.

Cat departs. Really quickly.

[:D]

The more briskly and quickly you can do this, the better. As Anna said, firm and confident works. It is definitely best to take them by surprise. I can even do our cats single-handed (and several of our cats have 16 legs when alarmed) if I get this approach right.

PS: love your upholstery fabric, Rose. [8-|]

I really empathise (wish we closer so I could help!) but it is a fact that if you are firm and prise their mouth open in the way I descibed (pressure in each far corner of their mouth), every and any cat will open their mouth...they have no choice, it will happen automatically. If you persevere and are determined you can succeed with this method. Only other alternative is to seek help from your vet.

Good idea Gail. I should have said I'm in 24320 Nanteuil Auriac de Bourzac, near Verteillac. So not far from you Gail! We used to have friends near Grand Brassac but they went back to UK last year. Also, our daughter's boyfriend lives just outside Grand Brassac! Small world! Had a few good nights down at Renamont too!

Yeah!!!! Phew!!! We did it!!!  [:-))]

This time I was quite stern... Now Pig... we are going to do this and you are going to have these tablets... It took me holding, OH opening mouth and son popping said tablets in... but all three went in... followed by a bit of chicken for being a good boy! [:D] [:D] [:D]

I can't believe it was so hard...he's had worm tablets for years!  Fingers crossed he'll now understand that it's not so bad and we'll be able to do the rest without problem!

Thank you all so very much for the advice and the really kind offers of help... I can't thank you all enough!!!

(he's now sat beside me giving me a look that would turn cream!)

p.s. good job too as I think we're about an hour from you... 20 minutes south of Perigueux... [:)]