Headmistress of school

Mishtoon

Hi,

I am the original poster to this thread (hasn't it gone on a long way!!)  There has been lots of discussion about how best to discipline children at school.  Just to reiterate that the child in question is 6.  His teacher is an adult and, to my view at least, badly and seriously lost her temper and quite violently shoved my child across the room, not once, but twice.  Since this incident another (French) mother has told me that she once went on a school outing with said teacher.  One little boy was playing up and this teacher picked this boy up (6 years of age again), held him against the wall and shouted (this mother used the word 'hurler') into his face 'If you don't stop that, I am going to kill you!'  !!!!!

I am sorry, but this teacher is out of control, is unable to control her temper with very small children.  I don't care what anyone else says, shoving small children across the room and screaming at them that you are going to kill them, amounts to abuse

I have also since learned that she is moving to look after, from September, the Petite Section.  So we are talking 3 year old children here.  How will she behave with them?

I do not mean to criticise the hard work, training, stress, long hours, that teachers have to put up with.  But to my view they know what the choice is that they are making, surely?, when they train to become teachers.  If the stress is too much, get out.

My husband and I believe in carrot and stick, if you like, for discipline.  We set clear boundaries for our 6 and 7 year old.  They get rewards through outings or pocket money if they help clear up mess and toys, make their beds, are kind and helpful to one another and us.  We set tasks appropriate to their age.  We also make it clear that certain behaviours are not acceptable, kicking, biting, hitting each other or other children is not acceptable.  If we don't instil this rule here and now, when they are young, then who else will teach that to them?  I believe that my children respond really well to the loving, supportive environment that we create for them, we are not perfect but we try very hard to set the right example.   They are given lots of positive messages when they behave well.  To my mind, this is what is lacking in society and the teenagers some of you have written about (burns others, punching, etc) are surely in part a result of messages received early on?  I do not condone smacking as I feel I cannot teach my children not to do that with other children but do it myself to them?  But I use it as a 'stick' ie: 'If you hit your sister again, would you like me to hit you?'  I try to get them to think about whether they'd like it done to them.  Of course they wouldn't. 

All we as parents can do is our best.  Children don't come with a manual, they are all different with differing personalities, backgrounds, experiences.  I just try to be as good a role model for my children as I can.  I am sure when they grow up they will tell me of things I did not do so well but that comes with the territory!

I do not feel that my son's teacher has set a good example by behaving as she did.  I feel that instilling the right behaviours in children starts at home and should be in partnership with the school and that means teachers maintaining their cool with small children, no matter what.   

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo Opas...what it comes down to is how this child was treated in front of his mother. If there was an issue prior then the parents should have been contacted and informed, immediately,  not treated to a display of 'watch how I chuck your kid around the room'.

She should be sacked. I still say she'd be lucky to be standing if it had been my child.

She should pick on someone her own size.

[quote user="Mishtoon"]

Hi,

I am sorry, but this teacher is out of control, is unable to control her temper with very small children

I do not mean to criticise the hard work, training, stress, long hours, that teachers have to put up with. 

[/quote]

Mishtoon - I have only just read this thread and, having done so, I am 100% with you.

I wonder though, as per the two lines above from your most recent post, why we are almost apologetic when we criticise the likes of teachers, doctors and nurses? They, like police officers and every other profession, have to be accountable for their behaviour. It appears that this lady has certainly over-stepped the mark. If the evidence is there, she should be sacked.

Mel 

Yes, what I cannot get over is how she did it in front of me and leads to the question what does she do when the parents are not there??

I intend writing to the Academie about her.  I have given this a lot of thought.  I did not want there to be any trouble resulting from any action I take on my child but with him leaving the school, I cannot see how there can be.  And she will only carry on doing it with other children and sometimes someone has to take a stand.

Thanks for all your comments and feedback.  It has helped me reach a conclusion.