Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Everything posted by Mishtoon

  1. I have spoken to the farmer and explained that we would be prepared to cut but that it would take time.  We don't have the finances to pay someone.  I said we wanted to remain on good terms, wanted to resolve things amicably and had in fact already cut loads of bushes back (which he must have been able to see before he sent the letter).  I've written off to the Huissier to express my frustration as I have tried to resolve things amicably with him and am confused about why he has seen fit to send us a 'formal' letter.  Perhaps he doesn't feel we are doing the work quickly enough but the border is a long border with many many trees and bushes and we simply can't cut it all down quickly.  I've explained that to him, he seemed happy with that.  But now to receive this letter puts our relationship onto a different footing which I really didn't believe was necessary.  There you go. We don't want to fall out with him, it suits no-one to do so, so we will cut down the said trees and bushes, but just not all in one go. Many thanks for all the advice!
  2. Thanks for your speedy responses. As far as we are concerned, the trees were in the 'state' they are now when we bought the house in 2006 ie: lots of established bushes and trees along the border. Many of the trees which are long-established figs, walnut trees, cherry trees, are overhanging the border and are within the 2 metres of the boundary. We have also questioned why he wants this drastic cutting back/killing of lovely trees now. He did not raise it with the previous (French) owners of the house. I have no problem at all in cutting bushes and younger trees back and taking out trees which are dead and really could do with being removed. What I have a problem with is cutting healthy, older trees which are beautiful. To cut these to a height of 2 metres means in effect killing them as to take them to 2 metres means just leaving the trunk. That's what I want to understand - whether the law requires us to cut everything closer than two metres, irrespective of how long it has been standing there. We don't want to fall out with him and it's not in anyone's interests that we do but at the same time we don't want to be pushed around by a pushy farmer because we are English and perhaps he feels, ill-informed about what the law requires us to do. Sorry for the long ramble!!
  3. Hi, I would appreciate some advice on where we stand legally on the following. Our garden borders our neighbour's garden (a farmer). He keeps cows in the field in the winter. There are long-established trees plus bushes (such as butterfly bush) on our side of the boundary which are overhanging his field. We have received a Sommation from the local Huissier to say that we are obliged to cut everything on the border to a height of 2 metres. My question is this. Are we obliged legally to cut absolutely everything to a height of 2 metres? The reason I ask is that some of the trees are very attractive, long-established trees that have been there for many years (perhaps 30 years). They were planted before we owned the house. Does the law that requires us to keep the 'plantations' to 2 metres in height apply to everything or only to trees and bushes planted after a certain date? Many thanks for any help.
  4. Thanks for that. I was hoping that wasn't the answer but feeling it probably was!! Many thanks
  5. Hi, We have a house in France with trees all around the border.  One side adjoins a farmer's field.  He normally keeps cattle in this field in winter.  Some of our trees are overhanging his land.  The trees are quite close to the border.  I wondered whose responsibility it is to cut the overhanging parts?  He has complained about them and says they are affecting his cattle?   Many thanks
  6. Thank you NormanH for the update. Kind regards
  7. Hi, You are right, there are genuine people out there. We were some of those people ourselves also. Also re. the last posting - 6-12 months not being an option?? Does it have to be a minimum 12 months? I was not sure. Many thanks again,
  8. Thank you for the postings. Puts you right off the idea of renting it out, doesn't it?!! Many thanks,
  9. Hi there, We are considering letting our house in France out longer-term for 6-12 months. But there seem to be lots of scary stories out there, for example, that you may not be able to evict someone at the end of the rental period if they have no where else to go. If we do rent it out, we want to go in with eyes open. Any tips/ideas/experiences anyone? Many thanks
  10. Hi Madeleine, How very very bizarre, we are also just outside of Devizes!! How weird is that!! If you want to meet up, pm me and we can arrange it. Mine are 8 and almost 10. Maybe there's a 'market' for this in the vicinity!! bye, Mel
  11. Thank you one and all for your great suggestions. I am going to try Salisbury as someone else mentioned that to me too. We are North Wilts but perhaps we could find a French student who wants to learn English and we could talk half French/half English for mutual benefit. Thanks again everyone!
  12. Thanks Teapot, I'll try that too!! Best regards, Mel
  13. Hi Panda, Yes would love that. I think it may take a bit of time to get them warmed up to talking in French but it's worth trying. I am going to continue to try to find other people who may want to link up and see whether also find a venue. But starting informally would be just fine. If you pm me some details then I'll get in touch. With many thanks, Melanie
  14. Hi there, We have recently returned to live in England - to Wiltshire and I am looking for a French family we could join up with in order to continue our very well developed French!! (myself plus husband plus children). This might seem a bit of a strange request but I thought perhaps there may be someone out there who may know someone living near to us. Many thanks,
  15. Thank you so much, that is a great help. Kind regards, M
  16. Hi, We would like to rent out our property for 6-12 months (we are in the UK). We have someone who wants to rent the house however we do not know them and so we particularly want to do everything properly and above according to French law etc. Can anyone please give me an outline of what I should be doing eg: example of contract, what checks do I need to get done on the house beforehand, what are we obliged as owners to do, what are they obliged as tenants to do, etc. Basically anything and everything we need to watch out for. Many thanks,
  17. Hi everyone, Thank you for your kind replies.  In the end we decided to have him cremated.  We were just so devastated when in the vets that the thought of bringing him home and burying him was too difficult to think about.  But he went so peacefully.  The vet was fantastic and we just watched him go to sleep, it was a peaceful end and I'm glad we took the decision as he wasn't happy at the end and was suffering.  He was a truly well loved member of our family and my children are devastated.  I had to sleep with my daughter last night and she was crying out in her sleep all night.  All in all he was a very much loved pet and he will be missed every day.  But I just try to keep focussing on all the funny things he did and the great life he had, which he did.  There will always be a part of him here in this house and of course in our hearts.   Thanks again. Mishtoon
  18. Hi, Unfortunately our lovely dog of 11 years had a stroke on Sunday, his second, and let's just say that he's extremely poorly and we've come to the decision to have him put down.  We think it's the kindest thing.  I won't write too much as it's very upsetting. I want to be prepared before going to the vets.  Do you know if there is a law against us burying him in the garden here in France?  Or are we obliged to have him cremated? Many thanks for any advice.  
  19. Hi, Sorry if this has appeared on a post before, I can't see it.  I just wondered if you knew what the constant 'chirruping' sound is that I can hear here in South West France?  I saw a reference on Chris's website which made me think it might be a stag beetle?  I can only describe it as a chirrup with intermittent breaks before it starts up again. Many thanks, Mel
  20. Hi there, I live in 47.  Need some work done but it needs to come with a devis so I need to find someone registered, either english, French, Dutch, whatever, I don't mind.  As long as they are legal and above board and do a good job! The work involves taking off plaster in a shower room after we had a leak from the roof.  Then it all needs replastering and retiling. I also need someone to fix the pipe that burst and lastly we need a new water heater put in. Perhaps I need a registered plumber for the second part. So, either one person who can do all of the above or two separate ones. Any recommendations? Many thanks,
  21. Thank you to you both for your rapid responses.  It is much appreciated. Have a good day! bye,
  22. Hi there, I didn't quite understand your last comment when you said that the agent commercial also needs a carte professionnelle.  Could you clarify that?  Do you mean that if they are working as a self-employed person, ie: not paid a salary directly by the agent immobilier, that they need to go through the same process as the agent immobilier to obtain the carte professionnelle?   Is there a website anywhere that you know of, that goes into greater detail about setting up as an agent commercial? Many thanks,
  23. Hi there, We are thinking of switching to Teleconnect.  We wondered if anyone had any experience of them and whether you had encountered any problems that we should be aware of.  Alternatively, is the service good.  Any thoughts/feedback appreciated. Many thanks
  24. Hi there, Thanks for your response.  Yes, the car had a controle technique done when we reregistered it here in France but now we want to sell it on..  What you are basically saying is that the CT is valid for six months, unless we sell it within the period 6 months to 2 years after the CT was done (which seems barmy to me, but then we are in France!!) Thanks for your help.
  25. Hi, I have a question which is probably in the Forum somewhere but being a bit lazy to search for ages..........  Can I ask the question here.  If we are selling our used (older than 4 years) car, are we legally obliged to get the control technique done before handing over the vehicle to the new owner?  Or can the new owner buy it, take it away and get the control technique done straightaway??  Who is obliged to do it, us or them? Many thanks
  • Create New...