headlight experiment in France

Andrewjspencer

Well I must say the recent lack of sunshine over most of La Hexagone has probably resulted in many more drivers putting their lights on during daylight hours but now the sunshine is back I must admit to seeing not one person today out on the roads with any lights on at all. Yesterday I travelled our local N12 to St.Brieuc and I would have said 80% of all vehicles in both directions had their headlights on even though it wasn't dark or cloudy. Personally I don't bother if I am just going a few miles unless it is raining or very dark.

Think it's only volvos which have them on (and perhaps the brand new cars) all the time. Here in the Charente most people just thought Sarkozy was mad, telling us to save energy on the one hand and then suggesting that headlights (or was it sidelights) should be used all the time!

Bet it becomes law though..

Hello,

I only see volvos with side lights on.

I have got a 1986 740GLE estate that has day running lights as standard and always on when you are driving the car. I think they are a great idea and would never think of pulling out the fuse to disable them as the previous owner had. I had to fit about 3 bulbs since in about 20 months but they are very easy to fit and cheap. It even has a bulb out warning system to say my light bulb has blown.

I also like it when you have the headlights on and if you dont switch them off they go off when you turn the ignition off, so no flat batteries. I drove it around normandy for six months and did 5,000 miles while renovating our cottage near Villedieu. We will be moving to France soon and I will re-register my volvo if possible as well as buy a French left hand drive in France James.

I've noticed a lot more people using lights in daytime this winter, compared to last year before this advice. I think it's fantastic.

TOH took a while to get used to it. It's often a case of me reminding him (sigh, tut!). I want them on if its a dull day, no matter how short the journey.

I've said this before I think, but my dad worked for the Police for 10 years before retirement, and he said it was an eye opener for him, how many times drivers and pedestrians/witnesses to accidents said "I just didn't see it"  'it' being a huge dangerous machine hurtling towards you.

It may be 6 months after the initiative started before any figures about the hoped for reduction in accidents are released.

tresco (Charente Maritime, 17)

[quote]Hello, I only see volvos with side lights on. I have got a 1986 740GLE estate that has day running lights as standard and always on when you are driving the car. I think they are a great idea and wou...[/quote]

It is illegal to drive with side lights on in France, when you re-register your Volvo you will have to have them disabled, not any easy task it may involve a new chip, re-writing some software or just painting the bulbs black, depends on the model

Dave

It does depend on the model (my 850 allows for them to be turned off - but I don't), but I've been driving lights-on Volvos in France for the best part of 20 years and I've never been challenged. Since the 700/800 series the dipped beams have also been on, but dimmed.

Hello,

If it is illegal, I will just pull out fuse number 25 to disable them.

Whats illegal about having the day running lights on considering they are double filament bulbs?

The rear lights are the same brightness with the lights on, even with headlights on or not. Or is it that the headlights have got to be on? In which case it would be on dipped beam as the main headlights have only got dip beam or main beam.

Thanks James.

Read recently(sorry can't remember where!) that they've had a year long trial in one department for keeping your headlights on for safety reasons.

This resulted in 25% fewer accidents. So after such a positive result, they're sort of trying it nationwide.

There have been adverts in the national press, advising drivers of this, but it is not law & you won't be stopped if you DON'T have them on.

Hopefully someone from that department will confirm this!

On a slightly different note, take care when driving on the N12 & N176! The police & gendarmes are hotting up on speeding. Mobile & static cameras, also they're hunting in packs!

Thank God for cruise control!

Cheers

JayJay

[quote]Read recently(sorry can't remember where!) that they've had a year long trial in one department for keeping your headlights on for safety reasons. This resulted in 25[/quote]

Bit late with the news I'm afraid. This nationwide voluntary demand of running cars on dipped headlights was run from November 2004 until this March

I think it's over now or almost and results will then be collated. Well that's my reading of it, so few people seemed to take part around here that I personally don't think the figures will add up to much unless the government want to pursue it more permanently, in which case the figures will show what a success it all was. 

agree with Miki - I would guess that no more than 25 % max of people around here took part in the experiment. I thought that it was due to expire when the clocks change at the end of March.

One good outcome was that my van ins co sent me a voucher to have my lights checked - but then I will have paid for it in the premium !!

John

not

[quote]Did french volvo's have headlamps that were always lit? Do they?[/quote]

All did (after about 1970, due to laws in Sweden) but later ones have the option of changing the pattern of lights for different countries. I've never had a French Volvo, but the UK LHD ones never made many concessions to the UK market. In the 200 series the windscreen wipers went the wrong way...

Our old neighbours in the late 1980's had a tank of a Volvo estate and I can't remember them having constant lights, although it would have been a good idea for her to have had them, just to warn other motorists of her prescence on the roads. My was she an erratic driver. I never was in the car with her, but often had the dubious duty of following her.

My Saab used to have an 'always on' setting, switch off when ignition off.  (OK by me I think it adds to saftey)

However my citroen has a 'switch the lights on if its dark enough ' setting.

I dunno how that would cope with the regs. French car innit ?

John