VISITING THE UK

thomas16

Suppose I have to let the cat out of the bag now as there has been some confusion (SundayDriver?). When I first read this post I was also confused!!!

ON TF, I AM THOMAS16 - I can categorically state that I am not the husband of this Thomas16 as I haven't got an E-type, a LR or even a pad in TH, just an old tranny and an even older cottage in Charente!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="zeb"]Suppose I have to let the cat out of the bag now as there has been some confusion and when I first read this post I was very confused!!! On TF I am Thomas16 - I can categorically state that I am not the husband of this Thomas16, I know that as I haven't got an E-type, just an old tranny![/quote]

Zeb

That's no way to talk about your wife.[:)]

gosh you really know how to make a person feel good!  we  moved  here a few months ago..  we bought a new car and it was imported LEGALLY  we innocently went to the uk on english plates with a valid french insurance. we are home now. and now we will change all the plates of all our cars and hope this will be the end of it but thank you for all  your help.

[quote user="thomas16"]

we bought a new car and it was imported LEGALLY  we innocently went to the uk on english plates with a valid french insurance.

[/quote]

Hello, maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I'm interested  in how it all works - how do you define 'imported legally' if you haven't got French plates?

• 2 weeks later...

HI MY HUSBAND GOT BACK SAFE AND SOUND.  AND YES IT WAS AN OVERSIGHT, WE THOUGHT WE WERE COMPLETELY LEGAL, BUT HAVE NOW LEARNT OUR LESSON.  WE HAVE SINCE HAD THE LIGHTS CHANGED ON MY CAR WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE 300 EUROS, PLUS THE MOT EQUIVALENT, ETC(I AM ONLY A WOMAN AND DO NOT KNOW THE CORRECT WORDS FOR ALL THESE THINGS) BUT NOW ALAS I HAVE TO CHANGE MY PLATES, WHICH I DONT WANT TO DO AS THEY ARE PRETTY RARE OLD PLATES, ANYHOW SO BE IT,  BUT CAN U ASSIST, OR ANYBODY WHAT IS THE FIRST STEP TO CHANGE THE PLATES, AND ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE MY D. LICENCE, BUT I READ THAT UNLESS I HAVE BROKEN THE LAW I AM OK NOT TO CHANGE.HELP, PLEASE, I DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING ELSE WRONG.

THANKS

JEAN

If you want to avoid clampers get yourself one of those old Citroëns that had the hydraulics to raise you up when you started the engine (De Gaulle in the 60's springs to mind of the model). On Vroom Vroom last night they showed how its impossible to clamp them once you have "descended" after turning the motor off.

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"]Hang on ....

Tower Hamlets?

E-type Jag (I take it)

Discovery?

Is there a posh area in Tower Hamlets? I thought it was all tower blocks, Somali and Bangladeshi poor folk....

[/quote]

Yes, actually there is more than one posh area.  I owned a Regency house in Bow (Tower Hamlets) in a well-known conservation area much used for location filming.  The average house price five years ago when I left was around £500k.  Probably nearly double now.

When an untaxed banger was abandoned outside my house neither the council nor the police wanted to do anything about it.  I had to go round to my local councillor's house and make a damn nuisance of myself before anything was done, so I'm surprised they took any notice in this instance.

I've just completed the registration in France of my third imported car.  It's not at all difficult.

Patrick 

[quote user="thomas16"]

HI MY HUSBAND GOT BACK SAFE AND SOUND.  AND YES IT WAS AN OVERSIGHT, WE THOUGHT WE WERE COMPLETELY LEGAL, BUT HAVE NOW LEARNT OUR LESSON.  WE HAVE SINCE HAD THE LIGHTS CHANGED ON MY CAR WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE 300 EUROS, PLUS THE MOT EQUIVALENT, ETC(I AM ONLY A WOMAN AND DO NOT KNOW THE CORRECT WORDS FOR ALL THESE THINGS) BUT NOW ALAS I HAVE TO CHANGE MY PLATES, WHICH I DONT WANT TO DO AS THEY ARE PRETTY RARE OLD PLATES, ANYHOW SO BE IT,  BUT CAN U ASSIST, OR ANYBODY WHAT IS THE FIRST STEP TO CHANGE THE PLATES, AND ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE MY D. LICENCE, BUT I READ THAT UNLESS I HAVE BROKEN THE LAW I AM OK NOT TO CHANGE.HELP, PLEASE, I DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING ELSE WRONG.

THANKS

JEAN

[/quote]

` ONLY A WOMAN` [:'(]

I suggest you take a good look at the Driving /Vehicles in france section.

Seeing as you imprted the Discovery , you already know that bit.

If your car is older , you need a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer.

Visit the impots.

get a CT (MOT) 

Go to the prefecture with all your paerwork , fill in another form , pay some money et voila!

Deb

Thomas16

Regardless of the recent events which occurred in the UK, you urgently need to consider the current legality of your vehicles in France.

You mentioned that you brought the Discovery over seven months ago.  You do not say how long the Freelander or the Jaguar has been here, so I'll assume its the same length of time. If that is the case, then the cars have not been legal for driving on the French roads for the past six months, so you need to take immediate action to regularise the situation.

Firstly, VAT becomes immediately due on all imported vehicles, so you'll need to visit your Hotel des Impots with your V5C registration documents and invoices/receipts to obtain VAT paid certificates (quittus fiscales). The QFs are free of charge and also act as temporary registration documents authorising you to drive the cars in France on their english plates for up to a month whilst you re-register them. Without these documents, its illegal to drive them over here.

Next, you need evidence that the vehicles comply with french type approval.  For the Discovery and the Freelander, you should already have EU certificates of conformity in the owners manuals.  If not, then contact the manufacturer who will issue them for a fee.  You will also need to contact Jaguar for an attestation of conformity for the E-type.

You will need to take the Jaguar for a CT test (costs around 56 euros). If the Freelander is over four years old, then it'll need a CT as well. All of the vehicles will need the headlamps adjusting or replacing for driving on the right.

Finally, visit your prefecture and fill in a demande de certificate d'immatriculation for each car and hand them in together with your QFs, certificates of conformity and (in the case of the Jaguar/Freelander) your CT certificates.  You'll also need to produce your passport and a utility bill. They'll issue you with a new carte grise for each car, then you take these to your nearest cordonniere shop (key cutting/handbags) and have your new number plates made up.  These must be rivetted onto the cars - no screws allowed.

The registration fees for the two Land Rovers will be a few hundred euros each, but the Jaguar will be cheaper as its over ten years old.  Finally, make sure you've sent the tear off export declaration slips back to the DVLA.

That's the simple import process in a nutshell - you're all legal now [:)]