HELP Lost Keys

Poppy

Have lost the only set of keys for my old Nissan Micra. Cant even get into the car. Has anyone else experienced this in France. Don' t know whether to go to a garage or a locksmith [8-)] Of course being Monday all local garages closed so cant ring around.Any help would be great its driving (excuse pun) me mad searching for the keys.

A decent carrossier (panel beater) should be able to get into the car without much problem, (my husband is one, so I know that [;-)])probably better than a car mechanic. But what will you do then anyway apart from hot wiring the car, you still have the problem of not having the keys. You will have to have the key barrel changed, and the door locks.

Depending on the year of your Micra, if memory serves me correctly, the key is also matched to anti-thief ignition device.  As an earlier reply hinted at, your problem is to start the vehicle and not just to gain entry.  If time is not of the essence why not just find out where the nearest Nissan dealer is and contact them tomorrow.  I feel sure they would be helpful to you then. Having lost keys in the past myself  I can understand if you feel that the last thing you want to hear at this precise moment is don't worry about it now.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Don't worry Llwyncelyn the weather is so bad here that it might as well be an English bank holiday monday.

Afraid you have confirmed my worst thoughts Mary about replacement locks. I guess I will just feel better if I can get the car open.

Keep telling myself not to worry that won't help [:)] but it was saturday night when realised they were missing and of course can't do anything until tomorrow. Off to have another search you wouldn't believe where I have looked [blink]

I don’t think trying to get into the car would help you unless you think you may have locked the keys inside.

As Weedon suggests a trip to your nearest Nissan dealer might be the best way forward.  The following is from the Nissan UK website (Request information > Ask Nissan section – enter “replacement keys” in the search box):

Question:

How can I find the key code of my Nissan vehicle?

Answer:

The keys to every Nissan vehicle are given a special security code, to prevent the keys being replicated by a third party. For this reason, someone asking for the key code is asked to prove their ownership of the vehicle before the code can be given. Your local authorised Nissan dealer can give you the key code of your vehicle. You should be prepared to present proof of ownership, of ownership of vehicle, such as the vehicle registration log book (V5) or original sales documentation. To find details of your local authorised Nissan dealer, please follow this link. 

I’d recommend you take proof of ownership with you.  Maybe best to order 2 sets!

Can only think I had them in my hand when unpacking shopping and dropped them in freezer with the frozen chips.

Have got a microwave but don't use it for chips, don't use it for anything now but did check the keys weren't in it [blink].  Did use it a lot in UK to dare I say it reheat shop bought pies and meals but cook from basics in France.

Know what you mean RH, I only have ordinary keys, two sets now [:D] Had visions of it costing more than the car is worth to replace keys or even locks.

Many moons ago....

I had a brand new Transit van & I dropped the keys off a pontoon into a Marina. Took 6 hours to call the RAC, get into the van, tow it to the local Ford commercial dealer, who were just finishing for the day, telling me that he "bloke who knows how to program the immobiliser" wouldn't be at work 'till Monday (this was Saturday), take a Taxi back to the Marina, buy which time, of course the tide had gone out & there were my keys sitting by the pontoon....

Of course, they had locked my van away in the garage - for security reasons (this was a Saturday evening by then, remember).......

Such was life in Pompey.....

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

We don't because we don't have a microwave to thaw them out quickly if we are in a rush.

[/quote]

[:D] If anyone hasn't read your post in the Food & Wine section CA they will wonder about your obsession with microwaves![:D][:P][;-)]