Blue Parking Spaces

Mayennaise

[quote user="Cassis"]Blue zones normally indicate free parking for a limited time.  You need a parking disc, which you can buy from supermarkets and bars/tabacs, to indicate the time you arrived. 

Here is more info:

http://www.expat-stuff.com/driving/parking_time.php?
[/quote]

.........or you can get them free of charge from Insurance Agents, just pop your head round the door and ask!

Chris

That's interesting. I know nothing about blue parking areas but have seen them and thought they were similar to our permit holders parking where you have to purchase 'your' allotted parking. So I have avoided using them, obviously I would have been penalised if I had without the relevant disc.

I park on blue slots all the time. The designated "Payant" slots are labeled as such and require a ticket but as far as I know blue is free. Put it this way I have always paid for a ticket when parking on a payant but have never done so when parking on a blue slot. I have never had a ticket.

Go for it.

Blue parking bays have to be used with a permit.  If you have a permit, then they are free... once you have paid for the permit.  Mine cost 30F I think.  It is getting a bit faded.  You have the time allowed to stay marked on your disc which can change at different times of the day.

Our blue bays here are only policed in the summer.  When I was walking by them the other month, the police municipal was doling out PV's.  Someone had a parking permit that allowed all day - he was from another region - and he got one.

There is certainly a sign with the operational times written on close by.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Cassis"]Blue zones normally indicate free parking for a limited time.  You need a parking disc, which you can buy from supermarkets and bars/tabacs, to indicate the time you arrived. 

Here is more info:

http://www.expat-stuff.com/driving/parking_time.php?
[/quote]

Thanks Cassis for the link.  It is very useful but I am not sure whether or not one has to obtain a parking disc for each town or if the same disc can be used in all towns.  Our small local town seems not to have blue zones but plenty of free parking, sadly it is a bit short on shops.  I shop sometimes in Coutras,  or Riberac or Libourne.  Someone who lives in Riberac had given me to understand that the blue bays were reserved for town residents only who received the discs by mail from their local authority.  The reply stating that a bit of paper with the time left on it would be OK would imply that one disc would be enough but I would like to know for sure.

Anne

One disc fits all - it's just to indicate the time you parked.  Wardens are more likely to spot a proper disc and read it than a piece of paper, otherwise I'm pretty sure a note on the windscreen would do as well. 

If Riberac has some strange "residents only" blue bays then this should be marked on a nearby sign.

They are as stated, to be used with the disc indicating time of

arrival. There should be a sign on a post telling you how long you can

park for free, after which time you may get a fixed penalty fine.

There are more and more '15 minute' blue parking spaces springing up.

In our local village they appeared overnight down one side of the road

down which two cars can just pass. The locals reacted predictably. They

started parking on the other side of the road instead, leaving the blue

bays clear so that cars could drive over them!

Was in the centre of Coutras today so I went to the Presse and got my parking disc.  It is in a plastic wallet thingie and cost one euro fifty.  It might have been free at the Hotel de Ville but I was too lazy to walk over there.  Thanks all for the info.  Sorted![:D]

Anne