Speed after March 07

Frederick

It would appear that in March the DVLA will be set up to exchange driver details with all our European cousins ... so those who have bought an old French plated banger to use to  avoid the congestion charge in London as one newspaper did to prove a point ...watch out !......... I wonder ....will the French Police now be more interested in dealing with those with British plates  who use France as a  " race track to the sun "  in 2007...Personally I dont care how long I take to get from the channel port to my place and usually have a long lunch in the process .....but given the speed of some of my fellow countrymen ...the cost of their holiday could just go up this year !

Never done it before, but perhaps I should take my French reg car over to London and enjoy speeding, congestion charges and illegal parking while I can?  What fun.  Must buy a new GPS with all the speed cameras loaded so I can speed past them.

Or will all that be backdated???

David

This is the current situation as described by a serving police traffic officer:

UK Safety Camera Partnerships currently don't chase up foreign registered vehicles. What they do do though is to create a record of the offence on PNC under the vehicle's registration mark. What this means is that, should you ever be stopped by a police officer whilst driving the vehicle after such a record has been created, you stand to get arrested under the PACE Act 1984, (assuming you don't have a UK address) and taken straight to court to be dealt with...and if its much after 3pm, you might get an overnight stay!  If you do have a UK address, and you're driving a foreign registered vehicle, a whole new can of worms could be opened! 

Lots of ports now have ANPR cameras (number plate readers that link straight into, amongst others, the PNC database) which would highlight such a vehicle as 'driver wanted in connection with speeding offence'...colleagues at Hull tell me that a number of ex-pat Brits have been collared in the past few months coming in from Zeebrugge/Rotterdam. And many counties now operate ANPR on a roving basis.

The loopholes are slowly being closed! 

So it's good news.

After March, the DVLA will be able to obtain your name and address from the French national vehicle database so that the police can have the opportunity of pursuing outstanding speed camera fines without having to arrest you. [;-)]

Oh, and they're also being given the powers to impose on the spot fines for foreign drivers.....

Dear Sunday Drive PACE stands for Police and Criminal Evidence Act.  Sorry not possible to go straight from one's car to the Court.  You have to be arrested taken to the custody suite cautioned 'given your rights' and then held for interview and then later (perhaps) court.

As a one-time lawyer I do not with the greatest of respect have much confidence in the Police in relation to PACE for there are codes to PACE and just because the Police do not follow them does not make them illegal or so their Lordships in the Court of Appeal say.....................I should know been there have the T shirt and came away just in a sense of dismay that what was 'quite a good legal system' is now gradually slipping away.

Still once more I digress and that certainly is a New Years Resolution that I will abide with for this is supposedly a forum to help others and not to utilise for one's own personal views?

Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, we are discussing an arrestable offence. Accordingly, the police officer's quote rightly stated that you would be arrested - he clearly did not feel the need to introduce an additional complexity by describing in detail the complete PACE procedure which would have occured as a result of this event (as you have done).  He also went on to explain that if the arrest process could be completed before "close of business" at the Magistrates Court, you would then be taken "straight there" to be dealt with.  Failing that, you would be held in custody overnight until the next session the following morning.

Perhaps a separate thread to debate any shortcoming of the PACE Codes of Practice would be more appropriate....

Dear Sunday Driver no thanks as to PACE as to the CA I appeared for someone as was not there arguing my position.

For too many years I was a supporter of the system believed that we had got it right.

Now you cannot remain silent without of course an inference being made.

Forget breaches of PACE the Police are always right.

Forget Guildford forget Birmingham forget the Newsagent killing in Cardiff forget everything.   And dare I say forget the first arrest in Ipswich.  Fishing is now the name of the game but of course all of this is housed or cloaked in reasonable suspicion.  You try arguing reasonable suspicion.  As in all things it depends.

It bluntly stinks and I say that with friends one of whom is a DCS and attached to a body that I will not mention here.  He was with us yesterday and was expansive on the subject.

Look at the AER on CA appeals and House of Lords appeals and look at referrals from those good folk in Leamington.

Of course everyone press wise at Ipswich were being told to behave themselves and the guy was not guilty until otherwise proven.  Do you have a view on that issue?  What chance does he have when ex-wives etc were posively encouraged to remark upon his character.  Of course all of this is in the public interest.

Of course perhaps he has confessed or DNA is to the fore but surely even you would agree that the press reporting both at Ipswich and at Southam was unforgiveable.

I did promise earlier not to move from the subject area and I have and I apologize and for my sins I will no longer contribute to this forum. Guilty M'Lord.

This thread started off by discussing forthcoming changes to speed enforcement.

So, what is the purpose of all this rambling on about PACE and Guildford and Birmingham and Cardiff and all those good folks in Leamington?  What has Ipswich got to do with speeding? [8-)]

I note your New Years resolution - all I can say is Roll on Tomorrow.......

Can anyone explain why threads on this forum, concerned with speeding, so quickly descend into bad-tempered exchanges, if not downright rudeness?

And yet.............there are those whose avatars apparently preach speeding on a motorcycle[8-)]

Just asking..........................

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]...there are those whose avatars apparently preach speeding on a motorcycle[8-)]Just asking..........................[/quote]

A rather sweeping comment here! [:)]

My
avatar is a reminder of what I used to have and enjoy... It could have been a Smart or a 2CV, all cars I used to own and enjoy!

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

Can anyone explain why threads on this forum, concerned with speeding, so quickly descend into bad-tempered exchanges, if not downright rudeness?

And yet.............there are those whose avatars apparently preach speeding on a motorcycle[8-)]

Just asking..........................

[/quote]

Can you be more specific FA, as I can only recall myself and Sunday Driver having avatars with bikes on them. I haven't even commented on this thread so I'm really interested to know just what you are on about.

Explain please how a picture can "apparently preach speeding"..............................................

[quote user="cooperlola"]Gary's bike looks like it's on a circuit (may be wrong) and Sunday Driver's looks delightfully sedate and as if it's in touring mode to me.  Moggie is zooming down the pit straight at Le Mans - nothing illegal there![/quote]

Correct, Coops, Triumph Daytona on a track day at Donnington Park.

But to respond to the other part of your comment, Mr Anglia, I don't think this is peculiar to threads about speeding.  Once the basic point is made, so many threads descend into sniping and backbiting.  Maybe they should then be firmly closed? - but not deleted, please.

Sorry I've just noticed that you don't actually have an Avatar yourself Mr Anglia, perhaps you would like to use this one of mine.........................................................

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Speeding.jpg[/IMG]

Does using one wheel make you go faster then?????????[:P]

Thinking of dumb question, there used to be a TV program called Top Gear (I think) and they once showed how to reset a tyre on its wheel by using a lighter... Someone at work actually asked if this was the way to pump up a flat.....[blink]

[quote user="Clair"]Does using one wheel make you go faster then?????????[:P]
Thinking of dumb question, there used to be a TV program called Top Gear (I think) and they once showed how to reset a tyre on its wheel by using a lighter... Someone at work actually asked if this was the way to pump up a flat.....[blink]
[/quote]

It's done by the off-road boys and started in Iceland. You squirt lighter fluid into the tyre and then light it. It re-fits the tyre but I personally wouldn't want to try it...........................[:D]

[quote user="Gary "]

[quote user="Clair"]Does using one wheel make you go faster then?????????[:P]

[/quote]

It's done by the off-road boys and started in Iceland. You squirt lighter fluid into the tyre and then light it. It re-fits the tyre but I personally wouldn't want to try it...........................[:D]

[/quote]

Its all to do with the fact that you radically reduce your tyre pressures to increase footprint area and get more grip when driving in snow, or sand as we do. There is a greater tendency to roll a tyre off the rim when turning, I have never tried the lighter fuel trick in the desert, never had a tyre roll off the rim - yet!