Facts about Triangles & things

MrCanary

According to lists in the shops of just about every ferry you cross the Channel on, there is a multitude of equipment that should be carried on vehicles in France.

Can somebody separate the facts from the fiction please? For example, I heard that triangles are no longer a legal requirement. Is this the case?

According to my 2007 guide from the AA and in other publications I have, the Warning Triangle, being compulsary in the event of a Breakdown, is  therefore a  legal requirement.  For obvious reasons, spare Bulbs are adviseable as are Flourescent jackets and  a First Aid Kit.  I never travel anywhere without all the above. The AA and no doubt the RAC supply a complete European Kit which will cover all eventualities. These can also be obtained from Halfords but be careful about the Bulbs as there are are 4 different types dependant on the vehicle you drive. I managed to obtain a Full Bulb kit from the AA for £6.99. Also  a  GB Sign and Headlight deflectors.

David

There seems to be a lot of mythology about what is a legal requirement and what is not.  In theory, warning triangles are not actually compulsary as hazzard flashers are supposedly OK.  However, having been with a broken down vehicle on one of those windy motorway exits with narrow hard shoulders, there was at least one occasion when I was glad to have it!  For myself, I would not get too carried away with the legalities or otherwise.  For instance, you are expected to offer assistance if you see an accident and somebody injured so you could get caught out if you didn't have a First Aid kit - but then, do you know how to use one?  When I bought a car here, a spare bulb kit came with it so it's obviously pretty standard here.

So, regardless of the law, I always carry :

Spare bulb kit; First Aid kit; Warning triangle; high visibility jacket and a fire extinguisher and I always have and "F" plate on the car (GB for you) and headlamp adjusters when going to the UK. (Also oil, a jack, and windscreen wash, a torch and mini tool kit).

As other posters have said, just be prepared.

Triangles are useless on busy roads with heavy lorries passing, they just get blown over or away as was my experience last year. For years I have automatically carried a spare fan belt even though its for a different make and model, but at least I had one until having a new modern car suddenly realised there is no belt to see and have been told its a series of belts etc now. In 18 years here we have never been checked on these items when pulled up for contrôles.

Mel

Carrying a warning triangle is not obligatory if the vehicle is fitted with hazard warning lights.  However, a triangle is required if you are towing a trailer.  Having a traingle onboard is good sense though, particularly if you've broken down just around a bend where your hazards may not be visible.

Carrying spare bulbs is not obligatory, but if a bulb blows, then an offence is commited, so carrying them is good idea.

Carrying a flouro vest is not obligatory for vehicles under 3500kg.  However, if you visit Austria, Belgium, Italy, Portugal or Spain (or Germany if you're driving a company car) then you'll need sufficient vests to kit out all everyone in the car.  As mentioned earlier, having them is a good idea for safety reasons.

First aid kits are not obligatory.  In case of a road traffic accident, elastoplast or insect sting cream may be of little use, so phone the pompiers....

Hazard flashers are not much use when, as happened to us, the alternator packs in with no warning and some time later the battery goes flat on a stretch of unlit motorway at 11pm. It's a strange sensation as the headlights dim, the radio goes off and then the engine dies a little later. I always carry a triangle and reflective jackets. The reflective jackets are definitely mandatory on motorways in Spain by the way.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Carrying spare bulbs is not obligatory, but if a bulb blows, then an offence is commited, so carrying them is good idea.[/quote]Good practice for sure however, with some cars, notably Audi but probably others too, it's no longer actually possible for an owner to change a bulb, it's a dealer job. Just how bizarre and daft is that ?

To pervert that well known phrase from an ex senior policeman turned TV garage door salesman; "Hardly a Major Contribution to Road Safety"....[:-))]

Still, I suppose when the Gendarme pulls you up you can at least show him you have a spare even if you can't fit it.

Perhaps we should all carry a hurricane lamp and some paraffin in case the torch batteries are dead, the alternator has gone and the reflective jackets are not very visible. Just a bit of sarcasm about how stupid some of these requirement are with modern vehicles and a first aid kit which as stated, isn't much good when you have someone unconscious with terrible head/body wounds or broken limbs and an elastoplast to help them or a finger stool.

A few years ago, I bought a new Mercedes Benz and whilst rooting around with the owner's manual, I found a first aid kit in a little flip up cubby hole in the rear parcel shelf.  

The kit itself was amazing - proper field dressings, surgical scissors, quality rubber gloves - the full Monty.

No good to me though - I can't stand the sight of blood....[;-)]

Hi

Not always necessary to use dealer to change bulbs on Audi, it rankles with me anyway that basic tasks like changing bulbs is a dealer job at £80 per hour. I had an A4 saloon and now an Avant and whist it is tricky to change headlight bulbs it is possible.

Usual scenario driving home on a dark winter evening and a headlight blows, off to France early next morning so need to change bulb. After initial look under bonnet appeared no access to rear of light unit so Googled the problem and found a forum with instructions on how to change front and rear bulbs, amazing what you can find on internet. To change headlight/ front lights it is necessary to partly dismantle air intake to get access to the rear bolts holding headlight unit, it's then a case of unbolting the complete light unit, replace bulb and then refit unit. At the rear the access is via a fixing bolt hidden behind a circular piece of boot trim close to the lighty. Just unscrew one bolt and the whole rear light unit is released, fit new bulb and reverse procedure to refit. You will need a long reach screwdriver that takes interchangeable bits as most bolts these days require a star head screwdriver

Actually, thinking a little more about it this is nothing new at all !

On my MGB for instance, and similar to a huge number of 60's, 70's and 80's UK vehicles, to change a bulb you must first prise off the chrome trim, then undo 3 small self tapping screws, remove the light unit, change the bulb, then reverse the process.

Some ealrier cars would in fact have had sealed beam headlights where a blown bulb meant a whole new light, something I'm sure every dilligent motorist carried as a matter of course !

In contrast, on many later vehicles the job was simplified because you often had easy access to the rear of the lights from under the bonnet.

It appears then that we have come full circle [blink]

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Oh, is that all?

Sounds like man's work to me!  [;-)]

Angela

[/quote]

Are you allowed to say such things in today's world? I'm sure there must be some piece of legislation that you are breaking, if there isn't it wont be long before someone invents another piece just to add to the red tape.

I must admit it is a bit fiddly trying to hold a small torch in your mouth, a screwdriver on one hand and the other hand holding the light unit so it doesn't fall on the floor, reminds me of Twister, getting into all sorts of contorted shapes with ones friends. Oh happy days!!

If my memory serves me right to change the front bulbs took about 20 mins, rears take about 10 mins. I dare say the minimum charge in a main dealer is 1 hour or about £80 so think of the saving and the satisfaction.

Paul

Cars seem to be as simple as aircraft to service these daze Paul. When I was an aircraft elecky in the R.A.F. the normal rule was 2 hands no eyes, 1 hand 1 eye or 2 eyes no hands! Don't 'arf make you good jugling with one hand and just like playing blind mans buff!!

I don't have the faintest idea how to change a headlight bulb on our Citroen C8?

I can suggest a useful addition to emergency kits if anyone is interested and these are the LED lights that are now so common on bicycles.  They are useful to put along the road behind you (as was said, trinagles blow over) and you can always clip one to your fluorescent vest.  They can be seen form a long distance away.  I carry them on my m/bikes and cars.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

A few years ago, I bought a new Mercedes Benz and whilst rooting around with the owner's manual, I found a first aid kit in a little flip up cubby hole in the rear parcel shelf.  

The kit itself was amazing - proper field dressings, surgical scissors, quality rubber gloves - the full Monty.

No good to me though - I can't stand the sight of blood....[;-)]

[/quote]

SD,

I think that you will find that a full first aid kit is mandatory in Germany, and it must be replaced if the seal is ever broken for whatever reason. Part of the driving licence procedure is, I believe (could be wrong), first aid capability.Also I believe that it is also mandatory to stop and assist if someone is injured in an RTA.