DRIVING FROM FRANCE TO SOUTHERN SPAIN

Jaydeez

Hello

We are intending to drive from our home in Southern Charente to Southern Spain (Vera Playa) in March next year.  This will be our first drive into Spain and Michelin tell me its approx 900 miles door to door.  A bit much for one day so we hope to pitch up at a hotel south of Madrid down towards Albacete (will be going via Biarritz, Burgos Madrid etc).  This is where your advice will come in.. Hotels on the roadside are very prominent in France, Hotel B & B, Formule 1 etc but I seem to be unable to find the equivalent on Spanish websites.  Does anyone do this particular drive ? Are hotels available just off the main roads ?  Is the journey arduous etc..  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Would prefer to book in advance rather than just try and turn up at one hoping they have vacancies, especially as there are three adults and a dog.

Regards

John

[quote user="Jaydeez"]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Would prefer to book in advance rather than just try and turn up [/quote]

Paradores can very useful for stops such as yours; they come in all shapes, sizes, prices and locations. But I don't know about the dog situation.

Here   are some details anyway.

Sue

Edit: That'll teach me to check before I post - the prices are a lot higher than they used to be!! Sorry!

We did a virtually identical trip a couple of years ago.  We stayed overnight just north of Madrid in a hotel that my parents have used on a few occassions.  It has secure parking which is useful if you have a car load of stuff and it's immediately off the main road that you will be coming down so easy to find. They have English speaking staff which is useful if your Spanish isn't up to it.  The only downside was that they don't have a restaurant and the only resto we found open at a reasonable time (ie not Spanish eating times) was the Chinese, having been driving nearly all day we just wanted to eat then sleep.  The town is called El Molar.  If you are interested I will find out what the hotel was called.

Edit: I've just re-read your post - not sure if they take animals.

I spend the winters in southern Spain from SW France. The trip is much easier and more pleasant taking the Mediterranean route rather than via the Burgos/Madrid route over the central meseta. It’s arid and very, very boring. Madrid is very nerve wrecking to get through. There are some roadside hotels but not as many as the coastal route. That way there are some interesting stopping places such as Figueres. The route is longer in kilometres, costs more in tolls but much more attractive, warmer and relaxing.

You can find many dog friendly hotels in Spain here:-

www.hotdogholidays.com

We do this regularly from Normandy and spend a night just before the border and a second one south of Madrid. We stay at the Parador hotels in Spain; if one of you is over 60 you get a substantial discount. We use the one in Chinchon, it is a fabulous hotel, and there is a good, cheap café down the road if you don't want to wait for Spanish dinner time. We find the drive round Madrid OK if you use the M50.

regards

Lisa

We travelled from Northern France to just south of Valencia in February of this year and stayed in IBIS hotels with our three large dogs.  The dogs were welcomed - fee is 5 euro per dog but at all three of the hotels we were only charged for one.  ETAP also accept them.  The route (A7) we took had plenty of service areas to stop with room to walk the dogs.  We stopped every two hours to water and exercise them.

Good luck

Suey