Speeding fine query

James

Hi,

I received my speeding fine today for doing (enregistree) at 58kph in a (limitee a) 50 kph limit. The fine is 135 euros reduced to 90 euros if paid within 15 days. Is this right?

I thought if you were speeding by less than 20 kph that the fine is 68 euros reduced to 45 euros if paid within 15 days. Which is correct?      Thanks James.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Thanks for all of your replies.As you say it is correct.  I talked to them on their helpline and sure enough the fine is 90 euros as it was a built up area. Had I of been speeding outside a built up area I would of been fined 45 euro in the end.

Ah well serves me right. It's my first fine etc since passing my test at age 21 in late 1999. Posting my fine tomorrow.  James.

[quote user="James"]

Ah well serves me right. It's my first fine etc since passing my test at age 21 in late 1999. Posting my fine tomorrow.  James. [/quote]

You can even pay it online with your bankcard - this is what we did last summer when my OH fell foul of a hidden policeman with a speed-gun.

Sue

Hi Sue, with regards to paying the fine online we prefer not to pay online if at all possible due to having to give your card details. I did look at the process for paying online, and it looked very easy to do, and you can print of a receipt as well which is very good.    Thanks James.

Mea culpa - today; no other traffic; dusk; missed the sign; long way from sign to habitation; only people about me and the gendarmes...

73kph in a 50 - first offence in 22 years... drats

Polite Gendarme said 90 euro fine... does he mean €90 if paid within 15 days, and what happens about the points with a UK licence which he saw and seemed happy (well, OK 'happy' probably not the right word) about?

Is it the guilotine or just a few months in the Bastille for me?

Naughty boy..............................thats nearly 50% over the posted limit.,[Www]

You will almost certainly get points (plural) for 23k over the posted limit and they will insist on a licence change.

(please note that I said almost certainly)

Were you on your bike or in a cage ?

In the cage! Not in any hurry, had stuck to every limit up till then (Saturday, lots of Gendarmes out around our way) and just missed that particular town sign. Really cross with myself!

Presumably I will get a nice little letter in the post soon. Never having had one before will it ask for my licence to be sent off anywhere? If so do I change it to a French one first and if so how do I do that... Oh dear, so many questions!

By the way Bugbear, why 'almost certainly' for the points - is there some discretion?

Edit - Thanks all, several replies received while typing this post.

[quote user="Beemer1150"]

By the way Bugbear, why 'almost certainly' for the points - is there some discretion?

[/quote]

Not so much discretion as variation. I think it's based on how they are feeling at the time and whether they like you or not...............[:)]

Re-reading the posts which crossed with mine - particulary SD's - throws up another query:

'... two points and a 135€ fine, reduced to 90€ if paid within three working days (fifteen days if it is a fixed radar ticket sent by post).

Check your ticket for any instruction on exchanging your licence.'

It was a mobile front facing radar (and presumably camera -  it was a black thing on a tripod) and I didn't get a ticket at the time - presumably it will arrive by post, but will I have only 3 days to pay? Sounds a bit tight and relies on the postal system. Also does this mean the licence/points business is independant from paying the fine?

Radar/camera on a tripod is classed as a fixed unit and you do not have to be issued with the ticket at the time of the offence.  That means it will arrive by post and you'll have the normal fifteen days in which to pay the fine.

These tickets are issued by the central fines processing unit at Rennes and show the points penalty awarded.  For French licence holders, their 'points capital' held on the central licence database is automatically updated with the penalty.  However, this process cannot be applied to foreign licence holders and in these cases, it is usual for a single point to be waived - but you might scrape by with two....

I suggest you pay the fine and wait to see if there is any follow up....[;-)]

Which is where my little device could come in handy, alerting you to the speed limit if you happen to miss it or your concentration wanders [;-)]

Your €90 fine is already 2/3rds the cost of the unit but it's a bit like a burglar alarms isn't it where a goodly proportion are bought AFTER the first robbery ?

Of course, if you have a Sat Nav it will normally perform a similar function although in a somewhat larger form.