Speeding fine query

James

We received a surprise 90 euro speeding fine in the post yesterday. We had absolutely no recall of breaking the speed limit, both being law-abiding and definitely not the wreckless type.. but as the infraction (58 kph in a 50 area) had taken place in an area we use regularly, we paid up immediately. Then today, hubby checked the calendar and pronounced ME the guilty party and is now really miffed that he is to get the points on his licence when it should be me! Does anyone know how many points it will incur? Is there any way that we can inform the authorities of this shocking injustice.... or is it too late? [Www]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you lose one point for exceeding the speed limit by up to 20kph. You could try writing to the address on your copy of the fine notification to correct the mistake about who was driving. Have you got french driving licenses? If not it might be better just to leave it as they don't usually bother about one point if it's a UK license.

[quote user="allanb"]"We had absolutely no recall of breaking the speed limit, both being law-abiding and definitely not the wreckless type..." Being wreckless is a good idea. Being reckless is dangerous.[/quote]

Oops! Well spotted allanb, you old pedant! I'm more than happy to be wreck-less  [:P]

Popular opinion suggests that the points are unlikely to find their way on (or is it off?) the OH's licence, which is a UK one, albeit, the new plastic-with-mug-shot variety, so going to let sleeping logs die... [:D]

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Gengulphus"]Roz - your Avis de Contravention will tell you if you have lost points. Look for the rubric: Perte de points OUI/NON. The Formulaire de Requête en Exonération gives you, in a table on the back, the precise details of how many.[/quote]

sorry to drege this up again but my OH has just received a speeding fine only 6kmh over the speed limit on the A20 he has paid the fine 45 euros on line as he was drving at the time.  Is that all he needs to do?

Perte de points has OUI typed in the box. there is a second form "The Formulaire de Requête en Exonération" what do we need to do with this form ? I believe it is only used if you are o conest the offense or if you were not driving and you wish to have the points put on anothers licence is that the case ?

[quote user="The-Lovely-Wendy"]there is a second form "The Formulaire de Requête en Exonération" what do we need to do with this form ? [/quote]

This form is to be used if contesting the fine, which I gather, your OH is not doing, as he has already paid.

You start off with a capital of 12 points, unless you are new driver, in which case you have a capital of 6 points for the first 3 years (reduced to 2 years in some instances...)

Edit:

How to lose your points:

http://www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/sric3_tableau_contraventions_et_sanctions_mars_2007.pdf

http://www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/sric3_tableau_delits_routiers_et_sanctions_mars_2007.pdf

How much????????!!!!!!!! (might be out of date)

http://www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Montants-amendes-mars2004.pdf

Claire

Its a bit confusing isn't it? As I am reading this, it says that if you only lose a point you get it back after a year provided that you don't lose another one in that period.

However, I'm not sure what its saying about how a second lost point in a year is treated.  If you lose another one within a year, does it replace the old lost one after a year so you still have one or do you now have two?

It appears to say that if you have lost up to 4 points you would get them back after a period of non offending of three years and the total lost of 12 points is only if within a three year period.  It then goes on to say, I think, that all points not restored in the three year period are restored ten years after the offence anyway.  Is that correct?

To recover your lost points:

• If the offence leads to the loss of a single point, this point is reinstated 12 months later provided no other offence has been committed during the 12-month period.
  • If another offence is committed during that same 12-month period, you lose whatever points the new offence demands and your single point is not reinstated at the end of the period.
At that stage,

• either you do not commit any offence during a 3-year period , at the end of which your full 12 points are re-instated

• or you enrol for a course, which will help you recover up to 4 points, to the max limit of 12 points (if you have only lost 2 points, you cannot get 14 points by taking the course, you'll get back to the max of 12 points). The course option is only available to the driver once every two years.

• or you do not commit any offence for 10 years and do not lose your licence during that period and your 12 points will be re-instated, if they have not been re-instated already.

[quote user="Clair"]

• either you do not commit any offence during a 3-year period , at the end of which your full 12 points are re-instated

• or you do not commit any offence for 10 years and do not lose your licence during that period and your 12 points will be re-instated, if they have not been re-instated already.

[/quote]

I am confused[8-)]

Are these for different numbers of points?

I received and paid an amande about 2.5 years ago, it said "oui" in the perte de points box but I have never been asked to surrender my license, do I have points held in abeyance against a French license and how would I know how many?

The French are supposedly imposing more speed cameras in the summer and a reduced speed limit, as there is on some bridges and in some cities, so particular care should be taken as these are not as well signed as those for other permanent restrictions.  The sighting of some of the speed limit signs is difficult in heavy traffic conditions including lorries.