Renault won't start , any ideas?

Gardener

Not thinking, I started my car in gear and it lurched forward and stalled. Normally embarrasing but not serious.

Now it won't start at all, dead as a dodo.

The warning lights come on and then some go out ( have checked oil etc).

Garage is coming tomorrow to take it for repair but would like an idea of what it could be before I get the inhaling of breath and shaking of head from the garagist tomorrow.

[quote user="Gardener"]Not thinking, I started my car in gear and it lurched forward and stalled. Normally embarrasing but not serious. Now it won't start at all, dead as a dodo. The warning lights come on and then some go out ( have checked oil etc). Garage is coming tomorrow to take it for repair but would like an idea of what it could be before I get the inhaling of breath and shaking of head from the garagist tomorrow.[/quote]

Do you get a clicking noise when you turn the key?

Does the hooter work?

Do the lights work?

I ask as sometimes when the battery finally gives up the ghost these things are clues to a dead battery, and yes batteries do sometimes just collapse, often a cell will give out and there you go ( or not as the case may be) no power. Good luck. 

The chap from the garage has been out and used jump leads to start it. He said to leave it running for 30 mins ( I gave it 40) and then restart it. It hasn't restarted.

I'll try rocking it now and see if the lights etc work

Thanks both for your help.

Engine won't start:

Multiple possible problems.

1.    Earth Strap between battery and engine frayed or broken:

2.    Lead from battery frayed or broken:

3.    Solenoid Open Circuit:

4.    Ignition Switch Open Circuit on Starter Contact:

5.    Solenoid Power Contacts Burnt Out:

6.    Starter Motor: Connection between loom and Solenoid frayed or broken:

7.    Power lead to Solenoid frayed or broken:

8.    Starter Commutator shorted, burnt or broken:

9.    Brushes burnt, broken or sticking: 

10.  Battery gone short circuit between plates caused by excessive sulphating.

11.  Battery dry; electrolyte level too low:

12.  Connections between battery and earth and/or power leads corroded causing high contact point resistance and arcing:

13.  Ditto. loose: ditto:

That'll do for starters: could be anti-theft device too.

Only right way is to take a meter and check out the viability of each section.

Multiple motor outlets normal approach: new battery: new starter: new alternator.............................

The fact that a jump started the vehicle narrows the field!

I guess during my time in the trade, I was far too honest: we tracked the problem and solved it: rather than change everything in sight until the problem was "Solved"!

[Www]

Thanks

It had been running fine no battery or any troubles until this afternoon.

As stated the lights and indicators etc work, the radio won't though now 'cause it needs a code [6].

I have looked around the battery and can't see anything obviously loose or broken, but then the underneath of a car bonnet is as unknown to me as Middle Earth.

I will get the garage to have another look tomorrow starting with the battery and report back.

You don't say what model it is.

I take it that everything is normal except the engine doesn't turn over.

From experience I would agree that it sounds like an earth strap broken or loose. Do the electric windows (assuming it has them) work smoothly, or jumpily?