Looking for a car

Frenchie

Frenchie, I have no car to offer you, only my sympathy and to say I hope you find a car soon.

It's very upsetting, isn't it?

Against my better judgement, I had my car fixed (after a fashion) following an accident last year and even now, I haven't re-instated the air con on account of cost.

And, of course, it's boiling hot now and I have to drive with all the windows open.

As Wooly says, it would be nice if you could offset your wreck against a new car?

Je pense à toi........[kiss] 

Interesting article Wooly. 4 out of the top 10 manufature pretty well all their vehicles for Europe in the UK. Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mini. Also interesting how badly the French and German manufatured vehicles faired. My Honda's never given a hint of a problem, whereas the missus' Audi S4 (costing twice as much) spends more time at the dealer than anywhere else.

Velcorin, I can bear out what you say about the superiority of dependability of Far Eastern cars. 

After years of driving Mercs and Volvos, even the OH is now finally convinced that Mazdas and Hyundais (the two makes we have owned) are every bit as dependable as the more expensive brands.

On top of that, I find them a real pleasure to drive; nice and light on the steering, usually excellent fuel economy and hardly ever need anything doing.

On the minus side, in France, these imports seem to attract a premium when you have to order parts.  I have got around that one by ordering parts from the UK and having them brought over.

Worse than that, it was actually when the chauffeur kept neglecting to put the plaid rug around my legs when we drive out in the winter...........

I mean, a very little service like that and he refused to do it!  Oh la la, what is the world coming to, mon dieu?

Hondas for Europe are all built in Swindon, Toyotas in Burnaston, Nissans in Sunderland, Minis in Oxford. Buy British! Interesting what you say about Mazdas, they are all Japanese built Ford models ('cept the MX5/Eunos).  

Velcorin, I have had Toyotas with the orignal Japanese engines and in fact I bought a second-hand Japanese engine from Japan for a Carina I had.

Wooly......gardener?  Purlease.........even Lady Chatterley had a gamekeeper!  Or do the niceties of social stratification entirely pass you by?[:P]

(aaarrrggghhhh Frenchie - main thing is you were not injured - OUF. I've got Henry for sale, but it is a Opel  (Vauxhall) Zafira, petrol, and in central UK- but has been a brilliant friend for 10 years!  Hope you find a great car soon. Here I have a Toyota Yaris - and we get on very well. xx

I loved my little Micra and if it hadn't been for her I'd be dead.  Never  gave me a moment's trouble.  It may have been made in the UK but the diesel engines (and a number of other parts) are Renault or used by Renault so any old mechanic in any village will be able to fix and service it.  You'd pick one up for your budget still quite new at your local dealer and it would probably come with a year's warranty as my 2-year-old Note did.

Sorry to hear about your crash Frenchie. Hope you were OK - not even a nasty jar to your back?

Intersting article that; we have an old Porsche and an old Saab in UK. Both are very reliable, and neither costs a lot in repairs. When they do go wrong, both go to places where the owners are nuts about each marque, and they eat sleep and breathe them. Low cost repairs and lots of TLC! My Polo also is getting a bit elderly, but has needed very little in repairs; our local garge keeps her running sweetly. :o)

Hope you find a good car soon, Frenchie.

Back from the different garages.. [:(]

I need to carry on looking ..

A Micra? would like it.

It seems the expert didn't give a lot for my car according to different garages. May call him . [:(]

it was in good condition and only 80 000 km ( diesel engine) . Bought it new in 2005. it was a " série spéciale" .

The different garages said many people look for this type of small diesel car with air con etc.. Said would sell it for about 5900. And the expert gives me 4500 !

[:@]

Thanks for your posts you all !

Of course, if you could bear to have the steering wheel on the wrong side, you'd be fine.  Cars are still loads cheaper in the UK.

I looked up some second-hand Micra prices here and they are truly nuts.  Two and three year old cars which have lost only 20% of their value.