Missing Number Plate

elamessa

Make sure that you have your carte grise with you when you go, I know that you are always supposed to have it with you,but make sure that you do.

They will ask for it when you get the plate, or at least that is what happened to us when we changed plates.

[quote user="idun"]Make sure that you have your carte grise with you when you go, I know that you are always supposed to have it with you,but make sure that you do.

They will ask for it when you get the plate, or at least that is what happened to us when we changed plates.[/quote]

Carte Grise is always in the car so will have it when we get there.

You could phone ahead to your garage and say you're on your way to get a plate made up.  That way, in the unlikely event that you did encounter an officer of the law, you would have some recourse it they decided to fine you.

I'm sure a temporary plate wouldn't hurt but I doubt it's much better than none at all, except to advertise the fact that you were aware it had fallen off.

Sorry, I see that everybody is posting at the same time!

Currently a plate has to be installed on your vehicle professionally/agrées by rivets; the days of plastic screws are over; a difficult exercise to achieve if you leave the vehicle at home. The carte grise etc will already be in your vehicle before you put the keys in the ignition.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Currently a plate has to be installed on your vehicle professionally/agrées by rivets; [/quote]

Not sure that's quite right. Our local Carrefour supplied the plates and the rivets for me to fit at home.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"][quote user="pachapapa"]Currently a plate has to be installed on your vehicle professionally/agrées by rivets; [/quote]

Not sure that's quite right. Our local Carrefour supplied the plates and the rivets for me to fit at home.

[/quote]

Carrefour presumably authorised to make up plates; Leclerc dont do it in Parthenay but there is a boutique next to the east entrance. Set of rivets four of them cost around € 4,50; you are fortunate to have a proper rivetter at home. The use of a rivet is not mentioned in the Government Regulations;

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexteArticle.do;jsessionid=9380235EF9DB6FB0315BE99C6DEEC191.tpdjo05v_3?idArticle=LEGIARTI000020243065&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000020243054&dateTexte=20110308

the relevant Article only specifies the requirement to be fixed "inamovible"; ie permanently fixed. The rivet is reputed to be a permanent fixture but this is of course a subjective evaluation and would depend on the quality of the rivet and he expertise and equipment used in the installation. The professional installation of the plate would remove any direct liability regarding the permanence of the fitting. Indeed most punters will not have a rivetter on hand, so the modest charge of € 5/6 for professional fitting will ease any potential anxieties. As plates now remain with the car for life and are not now changed when moving to another department the long term permanency of the installation is advantageous.

We're now into the realms of subjective evaluation of the simple fitting of a number plate.....[blink]

I have plated up five vehicles since I came to France and none of my plates has ever fallen off because of failure of the rivets or though lack of expertise in using the equipment.

I buy cheap plates from a keycutter kiosk and the guy throws in the rivets for free. I have a rivet gun which I bought from my local SuperU for 8€. 

The rivets are colour coded to match the plates and are likely to be exactly the same quality as those used by the 'professionals'.  The rivet gun is a simple device, of good quality, and its use requires no particular technical skill.

Five minute job followed by a nice cuppa.....[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

We're now into the realms of subjective evaluation of the simple fitting of a number plate.....[blink]

I have plated up five vehicles since I came to France and none of my plates has ever fallen off because of failure of the rivets or though lack of expertise in using the equipment.

I buy cheap plates from a keycutter kiosk and the guy throws in the rivets for free. I have a rivet gun which I bought from my local SuperU for 8€. 

The rivets are colour coded to match the plates and are likely to be exactly the same quality as those used by the 'professionals'.  The rivet gun is a simple device, of good quality, and its use requires no particular technical skill.

Five minute job followed by a nice cuppa.....[;-)]

[/quote]

All sounds very plausible SD.[I]

But personally I wouldn't trust  unqualified 'Barrack Room Lawyer' types with a soldering iron @ € 2.50 let alone a precision rivet gun @ € 8.

Does it use compressed air or explosive caps? Sounds dangerous!

Where can I buy one of these €2.50 soldering irons?

A few of my rivets have already failed so soldering sounds a much better idea [6]

Was it ever a legal requirement for plates to be rivetted or is it just another of these myths perpetuated by well meaning but indoctrinated Frenchmen and people on forums?

My neighbour is convinced that the gendarmes are going to kick my door down in the dead of the night to verbalise me because some of my plates are not rivetted on, some of them have the wrong colour rivets (I kid you not!) and horror of horrors I have different makes of tyres on the same (non) axles of my vehicle.

Obviously while a BSc qualifies one to provide expert guidance on a wide range of issues, simple rivet fixing of number plates requires a Doctorate at the very least.

This has been confirmed by my daughter, also the proud holder of a BSc, who confirms she hasn't a clue regarding the fixation of number plates via the rivet method.

[quote user="Chancer"]

My neighbour is convinced that the gendarmes are going to kick my door down in the dead of the night to verbalise me because some of my plates are not rivetted on, some of them have the wrong colour rivets (I kid you not!) and horror of horrors I have different makes of tyres on the same (non) axles of my vehicle.

[/quote] That's a fully paid expenses trip to devil's Island......Ooopsss it's been shut down !

[quote user="Chancer"]

Was it ever a legal requirement for plates to be rivetted or is it just another of these myths perpetuated by well meaning but indoctrinated Frenchmen and people on forums?

[/quote]

My UK reg Mist Wagen failed a CT because the plates were held on with double sided tape but "no prob" said the man, "you're going to re-reg it anyway".

When I purchased my latest set of plates the rivets were provided for the job to be done at home - lest I use UK RHD rivets?

John