Down the pan?

Sorry to bring the tone of this forum down, but can anyone advise me what to use in the toilet pan to remove bad staining and calcification if you are not on main drains and are using a fosse septique.

Normally, back in the UK we would dose it with a strong bleach, but we understand that this would be detrimental to the fosse action.

So if anyone in the same situation has a solution, we shall be very pleased to hear of it!

Lautrec

I wouldn't use anything like spirits of salt if you have a fosse system, too risky. Its highly dangerous too especially in a confined space or with pets and kids about whilst you are doing it. I'm afraid we have resorted to good old elbow grease,plenty of scouring pads (not the metal ones) and bleach,cif etc and it works,remember to wear the rubber gloves though.

Hi we inherited one just the same, I used the original blue harpic in the dark blue bottle you can get it in le clerc it took a few good attempts of leaving over night and some elbow grease and it doesn't damage the fosse , just in case i fed the p**p munchers with a couple of 'off yogurts!!and all is well.

Hi,

Cheap flat cola or vinegar works by disolving the lime build up - you'd need to leave it overnight preferably and may need to repeat - but it works a treat.

You can also soak shower heads in a small bowl of the same to dislove the limescale.

Good Luck

hi

it`s easy , just scoop out with an old cup some water from your loo , replace with bleach , let it soak and then scoop out the gubbins and flush...

or use the one that says " sans danger pour fosse septic" on the bottle.!!!!!

dave

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. It all boils down to; Taking a chance with the Spirits of salt. Rubber gloves and a pumice stone! or my favourite, flat Coca Cola! The only trouble witht the latter,is that it makes the coke taste pretty horrible afterwards!

In my experience (we live in a hard water area) bleach etc will bleach the limescale but not remove all of it. Spirit of salts will but you should tape the toilet seat down and not use the room for several hours, and be very, very careful. The pumice stone doesn't 'scratch' the pan so perhaps a combination aproach of that and something else is best. Vinegar does work and is cheap but on a thick build up may take a few goes.

Good Luck.

PS Its a very satisying job to do when you are very cross with someone !

Well Ron it's because you're going to be filling up yet another land fill site.

Brico Depot do a stuff called Oxygen which is based on phosphoric acid just like coke and I would recommend this as the first option.

Dave is correct in saying that you can use almost anything, even dairy hypochlorite, in your pan as long as you don't flush it into your tank.

Exactly what you can and cannot flush into your tank varies according to individual circumstances. To find out exactly would involve a calculation that took into consideration:

1) The buffering capacity of the tank (large tanks wiith few solids have a better buffering capacity than small tanks with a lot of solids).

2) The current PH of the tank.

3) The acidity/alkalinity of the substance used.

4) The alkalysing effect of the limescale removed

5) Whether you have taken a previous recommedation of mine and stuck a bit of tufa rock in the tank. 

There's a few more variables like the prescence of chlorine that I really don't have the time to go into right now but what I am trying to say is that it can all be worked out scientifically but usually it aint worth the bother.

Like I said in 90% of cases being 100% scientific is a waste of money but it can be done. If anyone is having problems that traditional  wisdom cannot overcome  PM me and if I'm not away on a research contract elsewhere I will help.

"The only trouble witht the latter,is that it makes the coke taste pretty horrible afterwards!"

It tasts that way before too, or even better try the coke lite and you can have a dose of 'aspertain' aswell (try a google search on aspertain, very entertaining?). When we moved into our place 8 months ago the loo looked a 'little tarnished'. So we tried vinegar, bakng sode and goodness knows what else. Eventually we found out that the 'tarnish' was almost 3/4 inch thick and the only other option to a new pan was a screwdriver, scraped knuckles and a lot of patience, all done by my lovely wife, and we now have a shiney white pan, BUT we are not totally sure exactly what lurks round that bend, so I may well finish up removing the pan and go completely round the bend ( I realise that I may just be leaving myself open for abuse here?) to get rid of anything that lurks there. After all if you think about it that pan has got to be one of the cleanest places in the house because any time any cr!p is put down it it's washed away with a couple of gallons of water !

John. 

hi

the best thing is ,found this out by accident is the local ....sorry for my spelling again " aude - de -vine " , the local donot know what to call him really a self sufficiant wine growing destillery odd  job man ,      Joseph   keeps giving me gallons of the stuff , I only dug a few tree stumps out for him au-gratis .because i cannot drink diabetic i pour it down the bogg , just thinking about cleaning my teeth with it. white or what

dave

[quote]hi the best thing is ,found this out by accident is the local ....sorry for my spelling again " aude - de -vine " , the local donot know what to call him really a self sufficiant wine gro...[/quote]

the best thing is ,found this out by accident is the local ....sorry for my spelling again " aude - de -vine "

Dave, would that be "Eau de Vie" ? powerful stuff indeed!

Gill

Regarding my opening post regarding W C's. On looking on the shelves of Leclerc, I noticed that they have three or four sanitary products for cleaning the pan, including Harpic, which are fosse septique friendly.

So we have bought three of four different ones and will see if they do the trick. But eventually, I thing the rubber gloves and pumuce stone, will have to be used first. Thanks for all your comments!

Lautrec.