Lost radio code

Jo

I have a Ford mondeo 2ltr 1999, with all this cold weather my battery has died[:(] it was an old one so no surprise and I'm quite happy to buy a new one BUT I have lost the original code for the radio/cd and know if I change the battery I won't be able able to use it, not too concerned about the radio, but I need the cd player.  Does anyone know how I go about getting a copy of the code? Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't write it in that handy little space in the instruction leaflet[:$]

IF the original battery is not totally dead, connect the new one to your battery leads with a pair of jump leads, then being careful not to dislodge them, swap the batteries around, that way you have continuous connection and the code will not be lost.

If the battery is dead, and the code is lost, try ringing Ford, you never know they may help you, certainly Renault did when a friend lost his code.

Good luck

[quote user="Racerbear02"]IF the original battery is not totally dead,

[/quote]

It is SO dead we've had the funeral[blink]......Good idea ClarkKent but the original sale documentation was on the back of an envelope[:-))] private sale!

An old fashioned battery charger clipped to the cars battery leads while you fit the new battery will provide enough power to keep the radio live and prevent loss of the code.

I say an old fashioned one as many modern intelligent chargers will stop output if they do not detect a viable battery connected to them.

Alternatively, there are special gadgets on the market for this situation. A wee 12v transformer fitted to a cigar-lighter plug will provide enough power while you swap batteries. Make sure that if your fag lighter socket is live only when the ignition is on, that you have the keys in the ignition on position while you swap batteries so the power can get to the right circuits.

Oh and be careful with the car keys - fords from that era sometimes have a habit of cycling the central locking if power is lost when changing a battery when you fit the new one. Keep the spare keys in your pocket.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Bellac87"]

pull the unit out note the serial number on it, if it starts with M followed by 6 numbers send it (the serial number!) to me and I'll check the code using the same software used by sites that offer a paid service

Mike

[/quote]

Many thanks Mike, the code worked[:D][:D] I now have no excuse not to listen to my french lesson cds[:(]