Winter Tyres/Snow Chains???

Joanne

Perhaps just to add one point.

The compound used in winter tyres gives (according to ADAC in its various tests) better grip in temperatures from +7°C downwards - obviously with some differences between specific makes.  They should not then be considered as just snow tyres, but better as all-winter tyres.

There's quite a lot of variation between makes of tyres too.  My first set were Hankook winter tyres, I got a deal with my car for a set of tyres and alloy rims.  They worked OK but a lot of road noise and my perception was higher fuel consumption though that might be due to other factors like using sitcky winter diesel, Anyway, I changed last season to Goodyear Ultragrip 8, cost €90 each but quite big size.  Boy are these good, much better in snow and ice than the Hankooks and no appreciable increase in noise.

Points to note with winter tyres is that they are 'worn out' when there is (I think) 4mm tread left, as opposed to 2mm for ordinary tyres.  Also they are only good for 4 years as the rubber degrades. You can take these points how you like, it is what I was told by a tyre dealer so might be bull.  I needed to replace mine after 4 years anyway so it wasn't an issue for me.

I don't believe it's bull Pierre, A friend with a tyre shop was under contract to the police and their tyres had to be changed at strictly laid down times as the rubber degraded so did the grip. I always remember a school mate with his 10y old Michelin XZX's how proud he was till he wrote it off through lack of grip on a damp road. The tyres were so hard you couldn't mark them with a finger nail!

Nice to know you rate the Goodyear's' my first experience of proper winter tyres was from Midland tyre and rally services, they sent down some tyres Continental's winter contacts.  We phoned them and said what's this rubbish, we wanted mud and snow's. Try them he said, very popular in Scandinavia, tried them, liked them and stuck with that brand. The tyre blocks have a steeper draft angle so as they rotate they self clean. I was able to drive where no one else had been for 10 days including some unlucky person with their removal lorry full of stuff stuck at the bottom of a hill

Pleased to see how long they last.

Any tyre be it winter or summer is going to really struggle in snow with less than 4mm of tread depth and yes the compound does degrade even in storage, I have a brand new super sticky set of Yokahama AO32R's on my Caterham, well they were when I laid her up in 2004, they wont have a fraction of the grip that they should when I get to use her again.

another missive from my canadian chum sums up some of the later comments on here.

4) tyres over 5 yrs old are useless. The rubber degrades enough to be practically inefective and dangerous.

All those adverts you see for 2nd hand cars "spare tyre never used" ....

The suzuki we are having "issues" with has the original spare tyre still on the back, it was a teenager last birthday! Solid as a rock.

A spare tyre should be thought of as an absolute emergency, and the original replaced at the ealiest opportunity. Having said that, a lot of new cars have the skinny spares anyway, which makes sense. And rentals tend to have a can of, what's it called, fix-and-inflate? rather than a spare.

Sorry if I'm repeating any details (but I've skimmed some of the posts). I understand it thus:-

Snow chains will be useless for thundering down the motorway to the resort. You are not supposed to go very fast in them, so you don't "need" to get them in the UK. (see point lower down)

On some mountainous roads you must have them. However, if the only mountainous road you plan to use is into the resort and then do nothing til you leave, remember that they will get that road as quickly as they can. I'm not suggesting that you could chance it if they haven't had fresh snow for days as that would not be responsible of me.

You mustn't use them when there isn't any snow, they are more likely to break and damage your car. (If there was 100 yards of tarmac and then deep snow again, you'd have to decide whether to take a very slow chance or not)

Most of the big supermarkets in mountainous France will sell you a pair a lot cheaper than the AA or Halfords. Unless you have very big wheels. I once hired a car with big wheels and I couldn't get cheap chains.

Even if the road is clear of snow, a bolshie gendarme can stop you on "you must have chains" roads and demand to see them. (This is why I can't suggest that you chance it)

In 10 years of owning a cottage near a resort, I don't think I've ever had to put them on in France, but like the others, I've got lots of different sized sets. I always buy the cheap ones because I change car before they wear out. Nor have I been challenged by a Gendarme.

I know this has been said. If possible practice in day light... in the supermarket car park if necessary (But if possible, read the instructions and play with them in a nice warm bar, then go out and practice on the car). I did have to put them on in North Devon once and couldn't remember how.... it was horrible.

All good sensible advice.

I have snow chains, never used thembut when I'm going to say the Alps I put them in the back just in case, I got mine from Germany, quite heavy but only around €70 with free delivery ...in Germany otherwise another €60.  I got them sent to a work colleague who struggled in with them one day [:P]

One small thing to add is that I put 2 pairs of strong gloves and a couple of torches in with the chains.  Why 2 pairs? well inevitably I'm with my son going skiing so he can do a chain too [:D] and a torch, well you can bet that when you need them it will be dark

Oh yeah, after you fit the chains, drive 100 metres or so then stop and thighten them if needed,  but you all knew that didn't you