Montpellier airport access from Autoroute

nomoss

Maybe everyone knows about this but myself, but there is no longer any access from the A9 autoroute to Montpellier airport (junction 29).

A new section has been built, marked A9, which has no access to junctions between numbers 27 and 32.

The original A9 has been renumbered as A709, but unfortunately no-one thought to indicate any directions except "Montpellier" and "Nimes" where the two autoroutes divide.

I had printed access instructions from the airport website, which said to turn off the A9 at junction 29, so I foolishly jumped to the conclusion that the road marked A9 would be the one they referred to [8-)]

We still made our flight, after driving an extra 40 minutes or so, but were told at the airport that a large number of people have missed theirs since the new section was opened in May this year, as no new signs have been installed, in spite of wide press coverage of the problem, .

[url]www.midilibre.fr/2017/05/08/autoroute-a9-les-nouveaux-acces-a-montpellier-et-son-aeroport,1503926.php[/url]

Well Nomoss, it was a perfectly reasonable assumption to have made!

I have been doing the journey from the Nimes side several times a week for months, both to get to Montpellier itself and on two occasions to the airport. The 1st time I was headed for the airport I did wonder, but guessed right.

There was a report in the Midi-Libre recently (I have a feeling that Norman may have posted it) about how Hollande was down here a couple of weeks ago for some official event and on his way back to the airport, his chauffeur made the same error!

Even today, there’s still no signage.

And yes ALBF, that southerly approach over the sea and the lagoon does make you wonder what you’re about to land on!

The notice of the offence you received states the exact place where the speeding was detected.

This may be the Pointe Kilometrique (PK, the nearest kilometer marker), pointe Repère (PR, the last km marker plus the number of metres beyond it), or the geographic coordinates of the camera. The notice also states the direction of travel, so that you can find the exact location.

By going to the location on Google Streetview you may be able to spot the camera.

EDIT. Using the nice map posted by Harnser, which has full details of the radars if you click on them, you can determine which one nailed you.

Thank you both for the information.

A salutory lesson - looks as though I exit the A709 before any nasties, but you never know when a new one or a mobile is going to suddenly pop up.

I must say that having got done for 76kph (70kph limit) when 50m from the (outbound) edge of our local town, I've been very careful over my speed. Its had the desired effect I suppose.

I must say that there's a risk that you spend more time looking down at your speedometer than keeping a proper eye on the road, but other than that, no complaints.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Gardian"]Well Nomoss, it was a perfectly reasonable assumption to have made!

I have been doing the journey from the Nimes side several times a week for months, both to get to Montpellier itself and on two occasions to the airport. The 1st time I was headed for the airport I did wonder, but guessed right.

There was a report in the Midi-Libre recently (I have a feeling that Norman may have posted it) about how Hollande was down here a couple of weeks ago for some official event and on his way back to the airport, his chauffeur made the same error!

Even today, there’s still no signage.

And yes ALBF, that southerly approach over the sea and the lagoon does make you wonder what you’re about to land on![/quote]

They’ve now put some temporary signage up, but it doesn’t tell you anything about the airport or the beaches! Apparently, the Ministry of Transport in Paris is refusing to accept that there’s a problem despite protests from local government - they’ve said that they’ll review the situation in 6 months time.

It’s OK though and not a problem - apparently the number of vehicles having to do a ‘180’ has now reduced from 600 to 200 / day. (Don’t ask me how they arrive at those numbers!)

You couldn’t make it up, could you?