New tyres

Hereford

Hi

Can some kind knowledgeable person please explain the difference between the two following options on fitting four new tyres.   The tyres have to be ordered (uncommon size) but on the website you then choose an option for when you go to have them fitted.  Copied and pasted fom website:

Forfait contrôle géométrie + réglage parallélisme des 4 roues x1

?   

OR

Forfait montage pneu (montage, équilibrage, remplacement valve) de diamètre 15 pouces ou moins x4

?

Second one is for fitting new tyres, balancing and new valve on up to 15" rims.

The first one I think is in addition to the second and does not include the fitting because they list it as one unit, it is for 4 wheel alignment check plus adjust.

I may be wrong but I dont think it is one or the other, its the second one or both.

See if you can ask the question about disposal of the old tyres, some will try it on with an additional charge or will put your old tyres on the back seat.

The first one includes the (I don't know how it is called in English) where they check tyre alignment. Is that what is called ?? Tyre alignment ???? Norauto charge 67 euros for this on top of fitting the tyres..

The second one is just fitting the tyres without the alignment.

I've just been through this myself....well without the alignment.

"The normal practice" around here is to try and scam as much money out of the customer as possible and make up fantasy lies if questioned, which they probably wont be.

Try and get a statement from the web seller and then dont take any K-rap if the tyre fitter trys it on.

A strategy that works here is to ask anxiously "you will let me take my old tyres with me wont you as my neighbour wants to buy them" then they will tell you that there is a charge of €5 to take them away and a hastily made up story of how their fitting price is subsidised by the scrap value of the tyre at which point yuu give in and tell him that you would not dream of depriving him!

Thank you so much - we sort of thought that was what they meant but were not sure.  Have not really decided whether to order online and book a fitting at the same time with the company (Feu vert) or whether to just go to, for example, Leclerc Auto and get them to order the tyres, then fit them.  The existng tyres clearly say 185/55 (as does the bill for them) so assume it is safe to order that size.  It does not seem that the size can be bought off the shelf so will need to order them.

Thanks a lot anyway, most helpful,  it will not be cheap for 4 tyres so want to know what we are doing.

The déchetterie here wont accept tyres or amiant, everything else is OK, as a consequence the piles of tyres over silage in the fields get bigger and bigger.

Back in the 90's there were 2 guys in my area, borderline doasyoulikeys whose business was collecting old tyres from the tyre fitting places, they got paid £2 per cover to take them away IIRC and they would then take them to a reprocessing facility in South Wales where they got a few pence each as well, but before doing so they would first dump them on a Kwik-fit forecourt on a Sunday and get paid once again to take them away.

I got the job of installing the CCTV in a couple of the depots, they started UV marking the tyres when they were removed and it was not long before they made their way back. The ultimate recycling!!!

Equally important as the size is the speed and load rating suffix, a number like 91J, come CT time they should check that the correct tyres are fitted, when you buy at Leclerc, Roady etc they wont let you buy anything less and sometimes use it as a scam to sell you more expensive higher rated tyres, buying on the net you could make a mistake.

Plenty of 185/55-15 tyres here.

https://www.quelpneu.com/

Unless your tyres are wearing unevenly it's highly unlikely that you need the tracking (or parallelism) checked, normally you'd only do that if you'd replaced components of the steering or front suspension so they are just trying to inflate the bill.

You should of course always use tyres of the specified speed and loading rating - or better - but that said not once in what must now total something like 25-30 CT's have I seen a tester check the tyres for anything other than tread depth and damage, I doubt they have the speed and load information available anyway and will absolutely guarantee they don't for an MGB and around 2/3 of the tests have been on those.

Come to think of it I've never seen a tyre fitter check speed and load ratings before mounting tyres either.

Tip: watch that the bug.gers do fit new valves, unlike UK it doesn't seem to be regarded as standard practice here and more than once I've had to remind a fitter to replace them.

One time the OH's KA had a slow puncture and when I put some soap around the valve and wiggled it the entire valve actually broke off in my hand. Looking at it closer it was badly perished and I suspect it may may have never been replaced in it's entire life which must have encompassed several sets of tyres.

My déchetterie is perfectly happy to take tyres but only two at a

time but with three different cars available to me getting shot of an

old set is not a problem [;-)]

I have tended to use Euromaster for tyres. I order the tyres online and have them fitted at their nearby tyre bay. I have always had good service at very competitive prices. They always dispose of the tyres, fit new valves and also check the car’s lights, fluids etc.

The last time I bought tyres I needed them fitted within 24 hours and I tried my nearest garage. The price quoted was much lower than I had been expecting and I will use them again in the future. (they kept the old tyres for disposal as well)

Why people order online then hunt around for the cheapest possible fitter is beyond me, I can’t believe they get value for money and the alternatives are, well, so convenient.

It depends Brit.

I got a quote from my local garage and the four tyres that I wanted were 120 euros more expensive fitted compared to Norauto.

I went to speedy and they always have promotions. They were doing a deal on Bridgestones TURANZA T001 EVO (- 40 %) which just happen to be the 3rd best rated tyre in a recent review in the UK.

295 euros all fitted compared to a lesser tyre from my local garage all fitted for 420 Euros.

My Saab now runs so quiet, it is unbelievable.

Pays to shop around.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]It depends Brit.

I got a quote from my local garage and the four tyres that I wanted were 120 euros more expensive fitted compared to Norauto.

I went to speedy and they always have promotions. They were doing a deal on Bridgestones TURANZA T001 EVO (- 40 %) which just happen to be the 3rd best rated tyre in a recent review in the UK.

295 euros all fitted compared to a lesser tyre from my local garage all fitted for 420 Euros.

My Saab now runs so quiet, it is unbelievable.

Pays to shop around.[/quote]

I’m not arguing that it doesn’t pay to shop around but what I’m saying is, when doing so don’t ignore the local option.

Like E-T suggests it's Tracking or wheel alignment but, can't understand why this should need be done because I can't see how the alignment has changed just by putting on new tyres. Caster angle maybe, but surely not not tracking unless you have clouted something hard and bent a track rod.

That's a bit harsh.

If you do something which knocks the tracking out you'll know about it instantly because it will displace the steering wheel from it's normal straight ahead position, something violent enough to do that could even set off the airbag !

[quote user="AnOther"]That's a bit harsh.

If you do something which knocks the tracking out you'll know about it instantly because it will displace the steering wheel from it's normal straight ahead position, something violent enough to do that could even set off the airbag !

[/quote]

Really? Your answer surprises me. Most tracking problems become apparent through tyre wear, the driver being totally ignorant of the situation from his position behind the steering wheel.

I did state quite clearly, for those who can't read.( If you had clouted something hard), which could be a pot-hole or maybe the kerb then yes you tracking would be out of alignment, and yes I too have done just that. I would assume though that uneven tyre wear could be to do with the caster angle being out of alignment. Towing in or towing out can also affect tyre wear.