Super glue

Jonzjob

This is probably aimed primaraly at us blokes, but for the more handy fairer sex too?

If you are fed up with having a little tube of superglue that you can't use after you have had it for a little while then here is a tip for you. It won't endire you to the OH, but it will save yer expensive glue.

Keep it in the fridge. Simple init. Just find a corner where it won't stick out (sorry about the pun, errrr, no I ain't) and store it with the top upwards. That way the glue won't block yer little hole and it's ready to use when you want it. It will last for a heck of a lot longer than the stuff you keep on a shelf in a cupboard.

Also, when you come to stick yer family treasures back together it will stick much better if the 2 surfaces are damp and if it's a small surface and you lick yer finger and damp the surfaces with that it's even better. After all it was designed to stick soldiers together when they got shot up and blown apart in the war in Vietnam. Not-a-lot-a-people-know-that....

[quote user="Jonzjob"]If you are fed up with having a little tube of superglue that you can't use after you have had it for a little while then here is a tip for you. Keep it in the fridge.[/quote]

JJ,

I've been  that for years! (and I am a member of the fairer sex [:P])

Good tip but even if you can't keep it in a fridge ALWAYS make sure you clear the hole (blowing is usually effective - no don't put your lips on it ! - or use a paper clip or a pin) and store it upright. You could leave a pin in it but as long as the hole is clear in the first place it's not necessary.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Jonzjob"]If you are fed up with having a little tube of superglue that you can't use after you have had it for a little while then here is a tip for you. Keep it in the fridge.[/quote]

JJ,

I've been  that for years! (and I am a member of the fairer sex [:P])

[/quote]

Funnly enough Clair, that had not passed me by [Www]

GG one of the first times I ever used it was not long after I had joined IBM and I was repairing a 3420 tape unit, one of those you see in the filme with the big lookps of tape in the vac coloums bobbing up and down. I stuck a small bit back on and stuck my finger and thumb to it. My tool case was just out of reach and the release stuff was in it. Nobody else in the soundproof computer room of course[:-))]. It took me about 10 mins to unglue me form the unit! I NEVER got stuck like that again and I managed to keep the skin on my digits too! [:$]

After throwing away the first and last tube I ever bought because it had gone off I have never again had the need for the stuff, there is always something better suited to the job in hand already on my shelf which has not gone off.

I use poyurethane foaming glue for almost everything these days, I have a dining chair in cramps as we speak, whenever I buy anything with handgrips or sleeves like a brouette out come the bottle as these days these things are never fixed properly in place.

My late father was trying to fix back a decorative plastic bauble onto their bed headboard when he became bonded, he called in my stepmother to release him, she was a nurse but is a bit of a blonde so he said "whatever you do dont touch my fingers, just go and get a bowl of warm water so we can release me". Being the curious woman that she is she promptly came over and stuck herself to the job without first getting the water[:D]

My Father had to tear himself free, patch up his wound before trying to extricate her, I say trying as after seeing his suffering she insisted that he call 999, my father refused fearing the speculation of the neighbours and hacksawed apart the headboard and took her to casualty.

I remember being on day release at the tech when a concerned group of lecturers and caretakers were leading a semi-naked apprentice who was bent at 45 degrees down the stairs, a loo seat was superglued to his ar5e!

Not at all a new product, new marketing perhaps, the basic product has been around for years but is not really of any use on modern cars.

It has been available under that name for many years under that name in Oz and NZ.

I wonder how many similar unwanted and unecessary things are going to be bought and given for trivial jokish reasons this Christmas?

[quote user="AnOther"]Good tip but even if you can't keep it in a fridge ALWAYS make sure you clear the hole (blowing is usually effective - no don't put your lips on it ! - or use a paper clip or a pin) and store it upright. You could leave a pin in it but as long as the hole is clear in the first place it's not necessary.

[/quote]

Good advice mate, but what about spray foam and Gripfill type products what's the secret of keeping the application tubes on these things clean

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="AnOther"]Good tip but even if you can't keep it in a fridge ALWAYS make sure you clear the hole (blowing is usually effective - no don't put your lips on it ! - or use a paper clip or a pin) and store it upright. You could leave a pin in it but as long as the hole is clear in the first place it's not necessary.

[/quote]

Good advice mate, but what about spray foam and Gripfill type products what's the secret of keeping the application tubes on these things clean
[/quote]

Foam, wash the tube in acetone before it sets.

Gripfill, put a piece of plastic bag on the end of the tube under the nozle thread.

Simples [:)]

[quote user="ThĆ©iĆØre"]

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="AnOther"]Good tip but even if you can't keep it in a fridge ALWAYS make sure you clear the hole (blowing is usually effective - no don't put your lips on it ! - or use a paper clip or a pin) and store it upright. You could leave a pin in it but as long as the hole is clear in the first place it's not necessary.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Foam, wash the tube in acetone before it sets.

Gripfill, put a piece of plastic bag on the end of the tube under the nozle thread.

Simples [:)]

[/quote]

Cheers Tell.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]Can anyone tell me why I totally fail to stick things together with 'No Clous Ni Vis' (I assume the same as UK 'No more Nails'). I follow the instructions and an hour or two later the glue line may as well be lard for all the adhesion I get. This is sticking a length of wood to a sheet of plywood, so nothing exotic.[/quote]

I had to re do some stair nosings the other day, the carpet fitters had used solvent free no more nails or similar. It had just dried like toothpaste, completely useless product.

The trade use gripfill for a reason. The new modified polymer adhesives are very good and can be used in so many places, even under water, (that is applied under water).

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]Cheers. I'll have another try.

The instructions seem to say that you have up to 10 minutes to position the pieces and then you press down hard for 10 seconds. How long after that do you have a reasonably sturdy joint?

I'm gluing 4" strips of 3/4" pine to a sheet of ply.[/quote]

Albert, I wouldn't trust the ten second bit too much, when you place the wooden strips onto the ply, slide them around a little in the area you are gluing them onto, this will give you an even coverage of glue, also remember if the glue is too thick; it will not set very quickly. Although it's not always possible, the best method of is to clamp the pieces in place, if you can't, then glue the strips onto the ply and put a couple of small pins into the wood to hold the strips in place. Before it sets wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth. After the glue is set set you pull the pins out or use a nail punch to bury them. Depending on air temperature glue should set in an hour or so. Good luck