French Government vote to stop Amazon selling discounted books

Lehaut

Can I, in my innocense (and ignorance) ask a question whose answer is not clear to me on these posts.

Can you lend (or borrow) an e-book like you can a real one?  In other words, can you download a book , which you have bought, onto another device?

Thanks.

Clair, stp, don't forget to look in your PMs?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]Can I, in my innocense (and ignorance) ask a question whose answer is not clear to me on these posts.

Can you lend (or borrow) an e-book like you can a real one?  In other words, can you download a book , which you have bought, onto another device?[/quote]

The simple answer is no, you cannot borrow or lend an ebook purchased on Amazon or iTunes, nor transfer it onto a device other than the one it was downloaded for.

If you download a Steven King book from Amazon, you cannot read it on your iPad, because the the book is formatted to be read on an Amazon-friendly device (a Kindle, or a Kindle for PC for instance). To read it on your iPad, you would need to make another purchase, this time from iTunes.

There are ways and means to remove the restrictions, as I mentioned in a previous post, but this goes against the T&C under which you make your purchases.

I have read your PM and I have replied.

Actually, you can share or download books onto more than one device relatively simply. OH and I use one Amazon account for all our ebook purchases and can both download books from that to any one of the devices we have registered on that account, including iPads, iPods and various Kindle readers. There is a Kindle app. for iPad and iPod.

Clair is right that this can't be done between formats or suppliers with the same ease, but it's not impossible.

Oh, Betty, I have had to SMILE at your optimistic assessment as to what I can do!

Nevermind the several devices, I'll be glad just to be able to download into the one device.

Anyway, have to wait till Christmas and speak nicely to Santa.  Have got to fork out on a new computer in the meantime.

So....anyone got any recommendations for a portable at reasonable price?

Also, is it worth paying extra for a 17 pouces (I know, that word amused me when I first came across it [:D])?  I won't actually be taking it anywhere out of my bedroom except ocassionally on to the verandah when it is nice and warm there this winter.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Actually, you can share or download books onto more than one device relatively simply. OH and I use one Amazon account for all our ebook purchases and can both download books from that to any one of the devices we have registered on that account, including iPads, iPods and various Kindle readers. There is a Kindle app. for iPad and iPod.

Clair is right that this can't be done between formats or suppliers with the same ease, but it's not impossible.[/quote]

I was trying to keep it simple! [:D]

As long as it's from the same Amazon account, no problem with sharing and reading on the appropriate device.

If you are an Amazon Premium subscriber (49€/yr), you can also "borrow" any digital book for up to 1 month (the Premium membership started off as a means to get a 24h free delivery of your Amazon purchases and was extended to book borrowing last year.)

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]Can I, in my innocense (and ignorance) ask a question whose answer is not clear to me on these posts.

Can you lend (or borrow) an e-book like you can a real one?  In other words, can you download a book , which you have bought, onto another device?[/quote]

The simple answer is no, you cannot borrow or lend an ebook purchased on Amazon or iTunes, nor transfer it onto a device other than the one it was downloaded for.

If you download a Steven King book from Amazon, you cannot read it on your iPad, because the the book is formatted to be read on an Amazon-friendly device (a Kindle, or a Kindle for PC for instance). To read it on your iPad, you would need to make another purchase, this time from iTunes.

There are ways and means to remove the restrictions, as I mentioned in a previous post, but this goes against the T&C under which you make your purchases.

[/quote]

This is not the case. In my Amazon Kindle library I have the option to download my books onto my Kindle, PC (& Kindle via USB), iPad and iPhone, you just need the free Kindle app on each device.

[quote user="Clair"]You're right Jay, and I did mention needing to have "an Amazon-friendly device (Kindle, or a Kindle for PC for instance)"... [:)]

[/quote]

So you did. The Kindle is not really that "friendly". My wife has a Nook and all the books she buys and those I download (from other sources) are not protected so you can "loan them" to others. As you rightly point out the protection can be easily removed from eBooks bought from Amazon so they can be transferred to other devices.

[quote user="Jay"]The Kindle is not really that "friendly". [/quote]

I do find it awkward to create collections on the Kindle, and I am astounded at the fact the Kindle does not sync with the Kindle apps on my iPad and PC, but thankfully, I mainly use Calibre, which makes it a lot easier to manage all my ebooks.

I am not familiar with Nooks at all. I don't think I have even seen a picture of one... [:$]

I too use Calibre, excellent program and it's free.

My wife has the Nook "Simple touch" with built in light. Nook have their own book reader program for the PC etc., much the same as the Kindle app. I will be investing in a Nook with the light for myself soon. At only £49 it's cheap compared with the Kindle with a light at £109. Pics of Nook:

http://uk.nook.com/buy

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Jay"]The Kindle is not really that "friendly". [/quote]

I do find it awkward to create collections on the Kindle, and I am astounded at the fact the Kindle does not sync with the Kindle apps on my iPad and PC, but thankfully, I mainly use Calibre, which makes it a lot easier to manage all my ebooks.

I am not familiar with Nooks at all. I don't think I have even seen a picture of one... [:$]

[/quote]

Don't be astounded Clair - dare I suggest you're doing something wrong! Kindle sync's seamlessly and VERY easily across all my devices - PC, iPad, and Android. Simple.....

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] dare I suggest you're doing something wrong! Kindle sync's seamlessly and VERY easily across all my devices - PC, iPad, and Android. Simple.....

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Oh please, do share!

How do you sync collections across your devices when even Amazon says it can't be done?[8-)]

Edit: on second thought, don't bother... I'm not that interested...

[quote user="Jay"]I too use Calibre, excellent program and it's free.

My wife has the Nook "Simple touch" with built in light. Nook have their own book reader program for the PC etc., much the same as the Kindle app. I will be investing in a Nook with the light for myself soon. At only £49 it's cheap compared with the Kindle with a light at £109. Pics of Nook:

http://uk.nook.com/buy

[/quote]

Thanks for posting that.  Interesting prices for a first dip of the toe into these ebook waters?

Especially for the uninitiated and the skint!  And yes, I certainly count myself one of those unfortunates [:)]

[quote user="WendyG"]I am not technically minded at all, but I have managed to have get all the books, newspapers etc on my Kindle onto my tablet via Google play - using the Amazon Kindle App.  [/quote]

I suspect we're not discussing the same thing [:)].

If you file your books in collections on your Kindle or on your Kindle for PC (thrillers in this collection; horror books in that one; comics there; biographies here; etc...) these collections do not sync across your devices, unless the exact same collections are created on all the devices.

And although your books will be listed on your various devices as they're meant to be, they will not be filed unless you download them individually.

Collections are a fairly recent update on the Kindle for iPad (my iPad is does not support them as it's now too old for the newest iOS.)

Edited for clarification.

• 2 months later...
Yes, Clarice.; they are trying to 'protect' local bookshops from competition, and, I suspect, the small publishing houses which would be badly hit by the self publishing enabled by Kindle.

My humble opinion for what it is worth is that they are trying to hold back the sea, Canute style.