Installing a staircase

zeb

Friends wish to install a staircase to grenier/bedroom conversion. At present the access to the grenier is via an exterior staircase therefore the work entails sawing and repositioning the existing ceiling joists.

Are there any websites/books etc which explain in detail how it should be done? We have already suggested getting a menusiere in but our friends want to do it themselves! The existing joists arn't that huge and the staircase will have a quarter turn at the bottom.

Any advice would be appreciated and I will pass it on.

grrrr....have a new french keyboard and it's driving me mad!

My husband has just read this and was horrified. Unless your friends are experienced carpenters/builders with an already good knowledge of roof/first floor constructions I suggest they get a professional in, the work would then be guaranteed and done properly whereas they could cause havoc and invalidate their house insurance and to be honest no artisan would want to come in and try and repair any damage done. Remember too that a staircase takes up more room than you think especially for exiting at the top and a sloping roof can make it impossible.

I don't agree with Val - it can be a DIY job.  

My husband has done two loft conversions single handed (well, I don't count) and they were fantastic.  Not just in appearance - they are as structurally sound as anything we could have paid someone to do.  You do have to measure very carefully when ordering the staircase, but both of our lofts/stairwells had sloping ceilings and by careful placement of the staircase/opening, you can make sure you allow for headroom.  If you are a competent and experienced DIYer it should not be beyond your capabilities and will cost a fraction of what you would have to pay someone - and in my experience you get exactly what you want and you are in control of the quality of workmanship, which is not always the case when you employ someone. 

This website http://www.stairplan.com/wheredoistart.htm will help you work out the rise and going that you need to fit the space you have.  I can't advise you on cutting the joists - my H isn't here to ask, but he has done it and the attic floor and staircase is as solid as a rock, so it can be done.   As I remember,  actually installing the staircase was the easy bit - one minute you have a gaping hole in the ceiling, the next you have a proper upstairs that you can walk up to. 

Bon courage, Diana 

Thanks for that Diana, the put down from Val2 was expected and I actually won 5 euros from it!!

I forgot to say that our friends are quite experienced renovators and have done much of the major work themselves and they aren't daft either!!

How can one posting produce so much misleading information?

"Friends wish to install a staircase to grenier/bedroom conversion. At present the access to the grenier is via an exterior staircase therefore the work entails sawing and repositioning the existing ceiling joists.

Are there any websites/books etc which explain in detail how it should be done? We have already suggested getting a menusiere in but our friends want to do it themselves! The existing joists arn't that huge and the staircase will have a quarter turn at the bottom.

Any advice would be appreciated and I will pass it on."

In a later posting you say that your friends are experienced renovators - presumably they should then know how to build and install a staircase - what was the point of the original posting?

"My husband has done two loft conversions single handed (well, I don't count) and they were fantastic. Not just in appearance - they are as structurally sound as anything we could have paid someone to do. You do have to measure very carefully when ordering the staircase, but both of our lofts/stairwells had sloping ceilings and by careful placement of the staircase/opening, you can make sure you allow for headroom. If you are a competent and experienced DIYer it should not be beyond your capabilities and will cost a fraction of what you would have to pay someone - and in my experience you get exactly what you want and you are in control of the quality of workmanship, which is not always the case when you employ someone. "

The only way you will save a large amount of money on a staircase installation is if you are going to build the staircase yourself and then install it. If you are going to order the staircase yourself you will pay 19,6% TVA. Assuming that your property is more than two years old you will only pay 5,5% TVA to a professional doing the whole installation.

"have a go most building work is just common sense"

Fairly dubious advice Dave, the useful part of your posting is the link. From the books on there, I have "Constructing Staircases, Balustrades and Landings - William Spence - a very good book with excellent diagrams. The only downside is that being American all dimensions are Imperial.

Val2 is quite correct in her comments - unfortunately there are now too many "experts" around who know how to do half of the job. Fine when they confine this to their own work but probably not when advising others.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Have been down this road over the last several months. I'm not disadvantaged when it comes to DIY, but this is a little beyond my capabilities. I had a carpenter who we have successfully used for our shutters etc. but his price seemed unnervingly high. Visited Lapeyre who offer a design and fit service including various styles/ woods/ 1/4 turn top and bottom etc who could do the same type for almost 1/3rd of the cost. However, you have to cut the the access hole to upstairs yourself.

Have decided for the moment not to go with either, but am hoping another carpenter I have arranged will come in with a better price. I would suggest your friends explore all possibilities and only if they are competent to go ahead with self installation. There is some satisfaction in having other people swear and curse when it goes awry, even if you do have to pay for it.

Aitch 

You guys were a bit harsh on Val2 there. If they are very competent they may be fine, but she didn't know that.

At Lapeyre you can get a staircase with a quarter turn in Pine for roughly 300E, or a hardwood one, say Oak for roughly E700.

Even having seen these kinds of prices, there was no hesitation for us in paying for design and installation. The staircase to me is like the biggest piece of furniture in the house, never mind the structural questions, which I don't have a clue about

It took two artisans 3 days to fit ours, (Elm). Previously to that it had been designed to fit in the space, and then each piece cut out at the menuisiere (sp?). No two piece is the same, it curves beautifully, is rock solid, and looks as though it was always there. Cost 4000E (you guys may as well know, as people in our commune seem to!!!!). We have made a few mistakes, but after 18 months i'm happy to say I love my staircase, I still stand and stare at it, it's a thing of beauty

tresco