End of 5.5% VAT rate for renovation ??

Smiff

We won't know about any last minutre reprieve until at least beg of December earliest about this,has happened twice before when there was a deadline to stop the scheme. Unfortunately anyone with work in progress which has come under the lower rate will have to pay the full rate for all invoices dated 1.1.06 onwards if the scheme is finished and this will cost them a lot more thanthey realised in the beginning so folks need to budget now to finish off their renovations if this is the case even if the devis stated 5,5% TVA, the impôts will want the full lot.

Very good to know as we are replacing 55 year old windows in our house and really need the 5.5%.  We had asked that the windows be completed before Xmas.  The date was accepted and devis written up with 5.5.   Now, I will just make SURE the work and all billing is complete before Xmas.

Not happy about the news (if it does transpire), but definitely need to know.

Lori, your window fitters should have mentioned on the devis about the 5,5% only until 31.12.05 and that all invoices after that date will be 19,6% unless the scheme is continued. I have been putting this on estimates since the beginning of the year to warn people.

Hasn't this been the case each year since the scheme started? Due to end on the 31st December each year and then a continuation announced closer to the end of the year.  I would have thought the balance of probablities is that the scheme will continue because it's been very popular.

Personally I wouldn't rush to order work earlier than planned.  I wouldn't bet money on the continuation but I don't think that the French economy is in such robust health that the government will risk upsetting French builders.

Only time will tell.

Have just been told by an artisan who is quoting for our renovation that the 5.5% has been extended until the end of 2006 however he has been informed that is probable that this rate will be indefinately! Thank goodness for that as we have loads of work and the thought of having to pay the higher rate really meant we had to re-think what we would do first.

Hope this helps, at least some good news for those of us who have yet to finish their renovations.

Rita

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

we've been told by our architect that the 5.5% is due to end on 31st Dec like everyone says, but this is not 100% positive yet as the final descision still needs to be made.  the 19.9% is due to start on Jan 1st but again, not definate, this only applies to old properties though. Not new builds.

As long as the contract is signed this year then you will get this years rates.  That can't change!

[quote]Have just been told by an artisan who is quoting for our renovation that the 5.5% has[/quote]

My builder has publicly stated that if the lower rate of TVA is abolished on 31.12.2005, he will publicly burn his tools in the Village square on New Years Eve.  I told him it will save us building the usual bonfire

The thinking is that France will not tinker with the TVA rates until there is a continent wide alignment of TVA and what it is applied to.  We assume that the TVA alignment excludes the Sun reading British

"As long as the contract is signed this year then you will get this years rates.  That can't change!"

I don't think so.  TVA rates apply at the time of payment, not at the time of accepting a contract.  So unless you have a contract that specifically says the contractor will carry all risks if the TVA rate changes then you are stuffed if the rate goes up.

There has been NO decision yet about ending 5,5% TVA here and that is official from CAPEB and our accountant confirmed it as well this morning. ALL invoices dated from January 1st 2006 will be charged at the full rate if the scheme is finished and not at 5,5% because of the date of the devis. Homeowners should be wary of this because it may cause financial problems for their builders if finances run out as 14,1% extra is a lot of money on big projects.