changing from 9kw to 12kw eletric supply

vervialle

We have an all electric house and during the winter months we used to trip out quite a bit, but we found that just turning off one non essential appliance , is preferable (cheaper!)  than changing our tariff.

Also, I  bought a double decker electric steamer which I use rather than having all the rings on my ceramic hob going and we don't trip out that often now.

Being completely non electrical, can I ask a simple, possibly naieve question. We have a 3-6kw supply, we are not presently in full time residence. In one respects this means a low tariff, but also means things trip all the time. Thinking of upgrading to next band and above info very helpful. My question is does it make any difference to your existing wiring inside the house when the supply is upgraded, or doesn't it affect anything beyond the actual connection to the house. Our wiring is very ropey and the whole house is to be re-wired, but not yet. As I  say not my strong point, so any constructive comments welcome.

Gabe

The physical change from one charging band (abonnement) to another is done at the disjonctuer de branchment (the grey box below the meter where you have to reset if the current goes over the limit). The disjoncteur is adjustable to some extent and if you only need a modest increase, EDF man just opens it up, tweaks it, and re-seals it. If you need more than the maximum that the disjoncteur can take, he will need to put on a new one for the next band. I think that the jump from 9kW to 12kW normally needs a new disjoncteur.

Being completely non electrical, can I ask a simple, possibly naieve question. We have a 3-6kw supply, we are not presently in full time residence. In one respects this means a low tariff, but also means things trip all the time. Thinking of upgrading to next band and above info very helpful. My question is does it make any difference to your existing wiring inside the house when the supply is upgraded, or doesn't it affect anything beyond the actual connection to the house. Our wiring is very ropey and the whole house is to be re-wired, but not yet. As I  say not my strong point, so any constructive comments welcome.

hi gabe

I have just brought a building split it in two my cousin has downstairs i renewed my wireing he did not when he upgraded from 3 to 6kw his wireing started to smoke and a small fire broke out he only has a tele,dvd, fridge, lighting and a water heater 3 to 6kg should be enough. It maybe due to the wireing why you keep triping excuse the pun the edf would check the eletrics if you ask them i found them quite good all the best and good luck.  

I've found EDF hopeless to deal with, broken appointments, no-one available, everyone on strike when I needed a change in power...........just like the UK then[:^)]

Our system was basic to the Nth degree: ONE 16A ceramic fuse "protected" everything.

They eventually did come and change us to 9kW from the old 3kW that tripped every time we had more than one heater going.............INCLUDING the one in the caravan heating water for showers!

There were no problems with wiring when it was changed, but that doesn't mean yours will be OK.

Ours had no earths either, but is slowly getting renewed.

Alcazar

hi

LOL ours had two ceramic fuses for 10 rooms two of which were kitchens oh and a out building the upstairs main was all comeing of a light socket and i believe the rooms were rented out as bedsits can you imagine the load put on it. we dealt with the guret office in the south east theres an english speaking person there she was helpfull.

We upped ours to 12 as it was tripping out and as far as I can make out, it is just the standing charges that increase, and not the price per khwz so I'm hoping it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run....

We also got EDF to come out and check the wiring  (think it was about 100E via Promoelec).  Prompt and helpful and organised for their colleage to come out and fix a problem with the fuse box at the same time as the puissance increase without charge.

Thankyou for all you comments, I am also changing to the tempo system as am only there in the summer and have been told anyone with gites and swimmingpool heaters would benefit from the low white tarriff 300 days of the year, and the expensive tarriff is for 14 days I think between november and march.regards

We only have 6KW and from this we run,fridge, freezer, hob,tv,PC kettle, washing machine, hair dryers, lights and pool pump have had no problems with tripping, think it must just be if you have elec heating. EDF sent me a booklet showing what appliances can be run from what KW.

We had a similar problem with things tripping out, couldn't have two things with elements on anywhere in the house, so no cooker and kettle, washing machine and kettle etc..  We didn't change the 9W thing, instead we had the three phases rebalanced and a new board fitted as part of the overall changes to the house.

No EDF involvement either though I have to say when they have made appointments here in the past they have come on time, done the work and disappeared.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for resurrecting an aging thread.

[quote user="Pangur"]

We also got EDF to come out and check the wiring  (think it was about 100E via Promoelec)

[/quote]

Could you please tell me how you organised this as it sounds exactly the service I am looking for. I think our wiring is basically sound but with a couple of amateurish "add-ons". It would be nice to avoid a total rewiring job if possible.

Thanks

It sounds relativly easy then to change the supply at the meter, but what happens when the overhead lines which bring the supply to the house are like bootlaces?

There is a small transformer about 200mts away with thicker wires feeding it, but I am concerned that the thin wires to our house wont be up to the job. Also the a couple of the poles look worse for wear- are we resposible for the cost of replacxing them if they are on our land and feed omly our house?

Hi. We had one supply changed from 6 to 12, EDF came exactly when agreed, had a quick fiddle, then all was well.They installed the Tempo box at the same time.I had asked for 15 but our existing supply wasn't up to it and it would have been up to us to pay for new electric cables- non merci !! Another time we had a supply changed from 3 to 9,they just came at an agreed time, stayed and fiddled for about a minute, that was it. Easy peasy[:)]