Cost for a complete rewire?

Collywobble

Hi,  As I am trying to err on the side of caution while estimating potential costs for renovation, the electrical costs are something that I don't have a scoobie on.

It would be much appreciated if you would let me know approx what you (or those you know of) have paid for major electrical work:

Anecdotal info is fine, as I say, it's just 'ball park' stuff.

E.G.

Complete rewire  

3 bed farmhouse or 80sqm farmhouse

xxxx Euro

or

partial rewire  etc

This would really help me get some idea of how long your particular piece of string is [:)]

Cheers

I hate to say this but that sounds very high to me. I can't give you an exact at the moment because we are going about it the hard way. [:(]Meaning, we are having an extension and the whole of the ground floor re-wired at the moment. This will not include the upstairs at all for the time being. This will also include a new electric board, TV and telephone points and re-wiring the external lights and a separate garage.

This comes to about  €3,500. We are having the electrics put in the same channels in the floor with the pipes that need replacing for the central heating ([:'(]). This is going to be done by the same plumber/electrician which may have saved a little, however, there is still a need to channel in the walls etc.. for the electrics. This includes a kitchen, large living area, downstairs loo, laundry room, small salon and a  large study/office and as I mentioned the garage.  I say about €3,500 because we have not decided on a couple of things such a central or wall lights in a few rooms.

I would say get several devis and compare. We recently had quotes on replacing the central heating pipes and a few new radiators and pipes for our extension and one was 2 1/2 times the price. When I told the artisan this he tried to tell me that his pipes were much better quality. [:D]

I did have a few devis on the electrics and they weren't that far apart outside of one. By the way this has taken me ages, my biggest problem was finding the right artisans. 

I wish you luck and if its not too late run. [:-))]

We paid 3,600 euros, but as you say, it's a piece of string thing.  I can e-mail you a copy of the bill if you are interested.  It is extremely detailed in terms of the amount of cable, sockets etc etc. so would probably be of more use than an overall cost.  PM me if you are interested.

WJT

hope your man putting electric and cental heating pipes in the same channel knows what hes doing as i thought this was not permissable as far as the regs go, then again im no electrician but i would definately not aggree to having this done. might be worth getting a second opinion before you go ahead with this

Oh dear, now you have me worried. [8-)] We have had several people come out and give us devis a few that came out to discuss and didn't receive devis but all without exception have said that they would use these channels that needed a special machine to cut through the tiles and the concrete floor in order to make them.  A few were English the rest French, the man we are using is a local French fellow. I do hope you are wrong, perhaps someone reading this could let me know.

Less than a grand (euros) for a more-or-less complete overhaul of 2/3rds of our house, BUT, we also got the guy to do some plumbing afterwards and it's turned out to be pretty leaky, so he was, apparently, judging by some other postings here, quite cheap, but that's no good if what he did is going to set the place ablaze in the next week or so.  Get references!! [:)]