UK standard plug sockets

The Legrand catalogue shows you can get BS standard plug sockets (the legrand number is 084234)  I only want 1 or 2 for visiting guests. When I tried to order them at the local CEF they reckon Legrand are not supplying them anymore. As (I think) you had to order a box of 10, does anyone have any left over from any renovations? I currently use a 5 gang UK socket extension, but don't fancy the paperwork if the house burns down.  Or if anyone knows of anywhere that has a stock of them I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

I am not sure they are 'legal' in France.

I would suggest guests use 2-pin adaptor.

If there were to be a fault and you had UK standard socket outlets fitted then I would not sure where you would be legally.

I am willing to be corrected by others with more insight but I know I would not fit them in our house for the above reasons.

John

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

The Legrand catalogue shows you can get BS

standard plug sockets (the legrand number is 084234)  I only

want 1 or 2 for visiting guests. When I tried to order them at the

local CEF they reckon Legrand are not supplying them anymore. As (I

think) you had to order a box of 10, does anyone have any left

over from any renovations? I currently use a 5 gang UK socket

extension, but don't fancy the paperwork if the house burns down. 

Or if anyone knows of anywhere that has a stock of them I would

appreciate it.

Many thanks

[/quote]

I suspect the hard-wired sockets would engender more paperwork if (God

forbid) the worst happened than would the 5 gang UK socket extension !

I'll have a rummage and see what's in the packing cases in the barn... Are you thinking of surface or flush-fitting ?

p

Technically speaking no problem whatsoever (I am an qualified UK electrician however have since 'moved' careers).

However as far as I understand UK sockets/light switches/T&E wiring is not legal/certified under french regs/norms.

Why not just change UK plug tops to french plug tops?

So why make a problem where there need not be?

John

Legrands "BS16" sockets are perfectly legit (as the are "NF") and (I believe) you are allowed 1 per property (ish - I have never been asked to instal one).

And yes, they are bl**dy expensive and a grossiste will want to sell you an entire box as noone else is gonna want them!

Don't be tempted to use a UK-sourced socket as they will not be NF'd.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Yes Nick, it's the "BS16" ones I'm looking for.  I was quoted 11euro each hors tax and they would only sell me a box of 10, then they said they were'nt available anymore.

I have done much of what was said above, e.g. changed plugs on most of my stuff. (All those nice molded plugs you get with your PC stuff have been binned)  I was thinking it would be nice to offer at least one guest room with one BS16 so those people who arrive with mobile phones/mp3/ipods blah blah etc thingys don't have a problem plugging them in. I might just by a load of the 2pin to 3pin connectors next time I pass through a ferry/airport.

Thanks anyway

The adaptors are only OK for low wattage items-ie.shaver/phone charger and are not suitable for a powerful hair dryer.Better to make up a short extension lead with French plug and English socket.

I have a LeGrande double socket with english and french options in my bedroom which we fitted over ten years ago and they are perfectly legal to do so. Again, there is a limit to the number per property but you should not really need more than one. My husband is a registered electrical installer here and has offered them to clients in the past where they have something that cannot be changed to a french plug. You will only usually find them supplied by a proper distributer and not a DIY shop.

If you think about the adaptors they will probbaly only be available in England for those planning a holiday abroad and at airports and ferry terminals in Europe but of course at a stupid price.

I bought mine from CPC in England, they were very cheap and came bundled with an American adaptor as well which had swivel terminals and hence could also be used in Australasia.

CPC are a mail order outfit as opposed to the electrical wholesalers mentioned before, QVS, CEF etc.

Regarding the maximum current I have regularly overloaded mine on a 2.2 KVA welder and 3hp compressor without them getting hot, the limiting factor being the small French male terminals not the larger English female ones so I am reasonably happy to continue to use them for power tools etc that I still use in the UK from time to time.

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

Thanks Val_2   ... have you got any names of stockists? I tried CEF as I've not even bothered to look in the DIY sheds as I know I wont find them there

[/quote]

Try any of the REXEL group outlets. Our electrical suppliers are part of this group but trade under a local name inthis dept which wouldn't be elsewhere.

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

If it is of any use, I can do the mosaic module for 9,50€ HT (& P&P) each - no minumum qty. PM me?

[/quote]

hi Nick

ok I bough down to your knowledge on French ( and UK leccy ) ..... but thinking on a legal thing ..... what would happen if say the fuse blew in a uk  hair drier .... but because of the way French leccy systems work  this could be still live  with the fuse dead .....ok someone dies ..... just thinking here .... let them supply there own ... be safe

would welcome your thoughts if you follow my thinking

Dave

Well Dave...

I don't lnow. The sockets are legal and are accepted by CONSUEL (in limited - ie. 1 - quantities). As such and assuming they are properly installed, no blame could be attributed to the owner of the property.

I guess that, if the live & neutral were "backwards", the dryer could still be live, but who would dismantle a hairdryer whilst it was plugged in? If they did that, they deserve to die.....

Not directly linked to the original query but worthy of comment nonetheless.  Whilst in the process of surveying houses in France, I have been faced with at least 2 that have been entirely rewired with UK cabling and fitted throughout with UK three pin sockets.  I am astounded at the arrogance of some building owners who have done this and wonder with a certain degree of bewilderment what an English housebuyer would think if he was faced with a house in Tunbridge Wells completely wired with French sockets!  The mind truly boggles. When I pointed out to one of the vendors that this was a breach of French building norms and also rendered their insurance entirely invalid she just shrugged and said that it was far more convenient to her to plug her hairdryer in without fiddling about with adaptors. What can you say?

[quote user="powerdesal"]I suppose you could have said that you were legally required to inform EDF and they would cut off all electricity until the house had been rewired and inspected by Consuel  [:P]
[/quote]

It does happen.

I looked a job about 3 weeks ago, where someone ("not me guv" says the owner, despite having owned the house for 2 years) had extened the wiring using T&E and UK switches & ceiling roses. EDF were demanding a certificate (prompted by a change from 3 to single phase). Wanted it done for less than 3K€ - told him I wouldn't touch it at any price.

[quote user="Gardengirl"]

We saw adaptors for English electrical goods to French sockets in Darty branches on our recent trip to France, while looking for electrical appliances. Jo

[/quote]

And I saw them in Bricomarché in Alençon 2 or 3 years ago.

Peter

I have a uk 3pin socket extension  with 4 outlets which is fused which i brought to france when i moved here 5 years ago.

I REPLACED THE 3PIN ATTACHMENT WITH A 2PIN FRENCH ONE SO I COULD PLUG IT INTO THE FRENCH WALL SOCKET AND USE IT TO ATTACH A COMPUTER,PRINTERAND A DESK LAMP .

my question now is --is this o.k. or not??or should i change all the accessories to a 2 point french plug and buy a 4 plug french  extension cable??