Carpeted Walls,ceilings etc..

j&j

[8-)]

Just returned from viewing trip. Love one of the cottages which was otherwise in great condition, However, does any-one know the best method for removing the carpet from walls& ceilings or know of someone who may offer this service.

Cheers J&J

Oh my first though also was, I want to see this!!!    Pictures would be great.

Other than that useless comment, I can be of no help at all I am afraid.       It can only have been glued or nailed on.    Assume glued (!).    Surely there is some solvent that should dissolve the glue?      Does it have underlay ???!!!

I thought Gluestick had the right idea.

Many factors here what is the surface of the wall? What is the carpet secured to the wall with?

If it is glued to the wall and the wall is plaster plate or plaster then I suspect good old fashioned elbow grease and expect damage to the walls.

If they have used gripper rod (which is highly unlikely) then maybe you can save the wall.

Why do such a thing? What is hiding behind the carpet? It could have been used to 'mask' a problem.

If you use a solvent then it will be messy I would have thought.

So back to the matches...!!!!!!!

Good luck

Being serious, it is quite common in the USA: and in lifts. In offices.Hotels etc.

Perhaps the current owners have a thing about elevators?

Normally, the type of carpet which can be stuck down (in commercial floorcovering projects) has either a hessian backing or built in underlay.

The problem comes when the carpet parts from the backing and you finish up with loads of patches of backing and hardened adhesive!

Probably it's a heatgun, a sharp blade scraper which is flexible and lots of hard graft.

Or, of course, check out the insurance and get out the matches...................

We had this problem with cheap foam backed carpet glued to the floor. Could find nothing to dissolve or even soften the glue; a heat gun didn't seem advisable on a chipboard floor. Tried to scrape off glue plus the foam which also stayed on the floor when the carpet was removed. After several hours gave up and decided it was easier to replace the chipboard with a solid board floor needing no further covering.

Now have the same problem, with carpet glued to tiles. My favourite builder says he's never found any way to remove the glue except by using a scraper. I have also heard of a disc grinder being used - the glue is pretty tough.

If we ever consider buying another place with glued-on carpet, we'll make its removal by the vendor a condition of the sale!

If you use too much heat (e.g. conventional gas blowlamp) you'll probably find that the fumes given off by the glue and even the carpet if it's partly or wholly synthetic,  e.g. polypoprylene, are highly toxic.

There are few solvents that will reverse the chemical process: unlike normal glue, where the application of heat unsticks the bond, modern epoxy adhesives change their chemical structure on exposure to air. Nasty stuff!

Be careful!

Elbow grease i think and a replaster afterwards!!! I had this problem on an old house in Wales we renovated and after wasting two days trying methods of removal and solvents we just bit the bullet and trashed the plaster and skimmed the room afterwards!!!!!

The other option is to leave it on, buy some handcuffs, wall shackles and put a red light outside your front door!!!! 

Hello j&j, do you mean the wonderful wallpaper that very much looks like carpet? Methinks you probably do. We have that (inherited!) & removed it from one room. The carpet looking bit comes away fine & in lengths, the paper backing remains & you just remove in the normal way, steam, water spray, scraper or whatever. Luckily the wall underneath ours was fine, as others have said though, it could be hiding all sorts. Good luck!

We still have a nice baby blue version in another bedroom, not so sure what that wall is like & it looks OK so we've left it.[:$] (erm................actually, I quite like it!) [:-))]

[quote user="Lisleoise"]If you go into any harware or DIY store you should find a tin of 'decapitant moquet' a dissolvant designed especially for lifting glued down carpet.
[/quote]

All you then need to do is turn the house sideways to dissolve the glue on the walls and upside down for the ceilings[:D]

I am an expert on this having done a complete room and now doing - thankfully - only a wall. My second efforts seem to be more effective than the first. The top layer comes away easily then I have soaked the wall with removal solution, left it for half an hour, soaked again, left it and then scraped. It is coming off quite well. Some times you may be able to peel rather than scrape. The problem is that if you don't scrape carefully you get this "skin" left behind. I fully expect to have to do a lot of filling. I wish you well!

• 2 weeks later...
When we bought our house it had carpeted walls in the dining room, I put off redecoration for ages expecting a really difficult job, when I finally got around to it  it came off in great strips,  really easily,  and left the wall good enough just to sand and re-paint!! So you never know....!