UK Microwave

Paul King

Tempted to say that it will work slower as the line voltage is 10v less. I wont but I would point out that microwaves in the supermarkets are cheap as chips anyhow. Even if they tend to be Tandoori makes. Please note that a combination microwave which has electrical elements (Not too common these days) will likely be unsuitable even although they are running on a 16a uk plug top.

We have a microwave rated at 800W heating power, 1.18kW electrical input, bought in France, so no problems.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]... a combination microwave which has electrical elements (Not too common these days) will likely be unsuitable even although they are running on a 16a uk plug top.[/quote]

We also have a UK-bought combination microwave rated 900W microwave power, but I'm not sure of the maximum electrical input power (can't find the rating plate).  Both are connected to 16A outlets (with French plugs) and we have never had a problem.

No problems at all here.

We brought our somewhat ancient Sharp R953 900w combination microwave/oven from UK and it works as perfectly in France exactly as it did in there.

[img]http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/sh/sharp-r953.jpg[/img]

It's a monster weighing in at 23kg and has a 1400w grill element (that's output BTW, not input), has an embarassing E energy rating, and 'er indoors loves it, as do I, if for no other reason than it makes fantastic cheese on toast [kiss]

I can't imagine that there can be many which potentially consume as much power as this museum piece yet it works fine and I'm at a loss to understand why BIG MAC would suggest that such a beast wouldn't [8-)]

One presumes that your actual house supply from EDF is adequate of course, you might be pushing your luck on 3kW !

I took my UK microwave oven over to France,  used it for a few weeks with an adaptor with no problems, have finally got around to putting a french plug on, but only, I must admit 'cos I need the adaptor elsewhere!

I have used ours on an english extension lead which is rated at 13A. The extn lead does have a french plug on it so will this be fine [8-)]

I am guessing the issue here is the low rating of the adaptor that fits into the wall, probably only 3A or 5A

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Ernie you are drawing about 1kw with your grill which being an elderly UK appliance may not even be double insulated through effectively a two pin plug...good luck..sure you will be fine.[/quote]Confusing comment [8-)]

Being an ancient beast, judging by it's weight hewn from a solid billet of steel, I too very much doubt it's double insulated but it has a 3 core mains cable terminating in a 3 pin French plug plugged into a 3 pin, known to be earthed, socket, pray how is that "effectively a two pin plug"......?

I stand corrected.

However, the appliance is not fused save for the disconjuncteur? (Pardon the spelling) presumably? Going by my place an earth leakage device is an alien concept. therefore its down to (In our case) best route to earth. which may well be a non double insulated solid billet of steel or the person touching it.

It amazez me that if I leave our electrics alone, we are insured. If I start rewiring we are not. Likely we will carcasse out then get a French artisan to do the terminations and tests, but unsure if they would still then caveat with a comment along the lines of "I didnt do that bit"

I digress,

Sockets in our place are not earthed. except for the cooker supply

Errr oks then so every chance that its simply a fuseable link in a fusebox that stands between you and a tickle. Presumably a radial circuit so effectively a hefty load on the end of an extension lead fused at source....should be fine.

To the other respondent I agree the random earthing in our place is a concern. Its taken us a while to sort out what we want and where we are putting it so we have held off doing much for the moment. Now that we know where wallsand ceilings are going we can start to carcasse out the new and get all the gaine in position. We will be using all new from the Incoming supply and will have most of it in situ wired into a ten way MCB Board with RCD protection for power plus a 6 way for lighting and fire detection. Its now down to trying to get a French sparks who is prepared to do the terminations and testing down so that we are ok on the Insurance front...I hope.

For those sparkists out there having a chuckle, its easy seen I am a plumber and too many years away from me toolbag....