Laying seagrass

Dinks

Renovations in the grenier are nearing completion and we just have the floor to deal with. I am veering towards laying jonc de mer 'carpetting' as I want a 'natural' look for the room and don't want traditional carpet. Has anybody here worked with it before? How easy is it to join and lay? The jonc de mer at Mr Bricolage is latex-backed so I am assuming it just needs to be glued down?  Taa for any trucs et astuces!

I think seagrass looks beautiful - though latex backing sort of ruins the natural aspect.

From what I have seen it doesn't last long and is apparently difficult to join - my carpet fitter in UK refused to fit it.

[quote user="Dog"]

I think seagrass looks beautiful - though latex backing sort of ruins the natural aspect.

From what I have seen it doesn't last long and is apparently difficult to join - my carpet fitter in UK refused to fit it.

[/quote]

Strange you say that it doesn't last long as it appears to be recommended for areas of the house that have high traffic! That said, the grenier will only be used as a visitor's bedroom so that isn't really an issue. Mr Brico currently have it on promotion off the roll for €5.90 /sqm which is a bargain price. 

Interesting comment about cats.

I was looking at Coir or Sisal , but sisal stains so not for houses with cats. I thought that seagrass was impervious (hence it always has a greenish tinge).

As regards the OP. Seagrass has been rated as one to avoid if you have desk (castor) chairs as it takes an impression easily.

[quote user="Jo"]Cats find it impossible to resist as a super-size scratching post[:D]
[/quote]

I seem to be following Jo around the forum agreeing with her about cats!!  [:)]

They will rip & tear seagrass to shreds!! It would be like waving a red rag to a bull. We have a seagrass type mat in our kitchen - & it's in tatters ..... although the cats claws are now nice & sharp!!

[quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

When I joined this forum I just knew I was dealing with "Class"

(My chauffeur wouldn't be seen dead driving a Ford)

Well, thanks to all. Fortunately we do not have any cats - only a border collie pooch who is a sweety. Anyway, we have today successfully laid 42m2 of jonc de mer in the grenier. It has gone down a treat and has really transformed the room. It appears you have to be religiously methodical in how you lay the stuff. We used the double sided sticky tape for carpets and it has given a really good hold, even on the long join. Chuffed to bits with how it has turned out!