BUYING SAND AND CEMENT

markie

We have a few small concreting jobs which we ae able to do ourselves but are not sure how we go about buying the sand!!  Obviously in the UK the builder's merchant pops along with one of those large canvas bags and dumps it on your drive but I have never seen anything similar in France.  Can we go to the local builder's merchant and get them to deliver one or does it come loose?  We do have a transit so if it is available in bags we could bring it back ourselves.  Assume that cement is available in the paper sacks as per UK? Thanks all.

Le Clerc sell sand by the spade full, 25 max for our Megane before it sits too low on the suspension. They sell gravel in the same way and bags of cement, white and various greys including Portland. Point P and Mr Bricolage do something similar around here as do other Brico Bati Jardi places. I line the boot with plastic sheet and just shovel it in and out at each end. Ok for small jobs but maybe more expensive than buying in bulk delivered..............................................JR

You could buy ready-mixed by the bag, but it's an expensive way of doing it - depends on quantity, of course. We've always had the local merchant (Weldom) deliver a sand/gravel mix (check delivery costs), buy a few 35kg sacks of mortar (dirt cheap), and then set to.

The large sacks (Big Bag) are available from some builders merchants, sand and gravel mixed for concrete, ask for (gravier à béton) but the delivery will cost.

You can have it delivered in bulk, again for a delivery charge, priced by mileage and weight, it would be better in my opinion to buy a trailer and collect it yourself, even cheaper if you have a local quarry, the trailer will pay for it self over the years and you can get things when you need them.

I have bought many 500kg 'big bags' of both sand and aggregate at the local builders merchants. Fork lift loaded into a trailer and away you go. Getting it out is the difficult bit. My technique was to back the trailer into position , remove the tailgate and slash open the bag with 'stan the knife' letting contents flow onto floor. tip up the trailer to mt the bag.

[quote user="teapot"]

Look up your local sablier, mine allows me to collect what I want via a weigh bridge.  Some have a minium 1 ton charge.

I pay 19 euros a ton

[/quote]

Does that work for gravel too? (as in the stuff you make drives out of [:)])