Frenchman on the forum, ready to help with technical words etc.

ericd

Hello all. I am a French citizen having lived just over half of my life in the UK (Newcastle area). My wife and I have just bought a lovely old house in Tarn et Garonne for retirement purpose. Over the next few years we will have some work done (either through local “artisans” or DIY) and we will be frequent visitors to this forum. I have read many posts asking for help with translations etc. so I am offering my help should you need it.

In the meantime, I will be reading the latest posts and try to answer as much as I can. Speak soon. Eric

Hi,

we will be moving into our summer home, also in the tarn next week.

there is an outside kitchen room of which the roof forms a large patio, with access through double doors from the upstairs bedroom. this kitchen room/patio roof is under the roof of the hanger. do you think we will need planning permission to build an en-suite shower room on top of the kitchen?

the property is in the middle of fields and about a ten minuite walk to the road so it will not be visable until you walk under the hanger.

i would be grateful to any views you have on this matter as we are still wary of the differences in french/english rules on just about everything.

thanks for reading this even if you cant help

wendy

[quote user="lumpypossum"]Hi,

we will be moving into our summer home, also in the tarn next week.

there is an outside kitchen room of which the roof forms a large patio, with access through double doors from the upstairs bedroom. this kitchen room/patio roof is under the roof of the hanger. do you think we will need planning permission to build an en-suite shower room on top of the kitchen?

the property is in the middle of fields and about a ten minuite walk to the road so it will not be visable until you walk under the hanger.

i would be grateful to any views you have on this matter as we are still wary of the differences in french/english rules on just about everything.

thanks for reading this even if you cant help

wendy[/quote]

You need permission for everything here but in the deepest country, everyone ignores it.  The trouble is that as an outsider, it is harder to get away with it.  Even if the property can't be seen, the posties keep an eye on changes and can shop you.  So keep in with them right from the beginning.

Waoo! I even had to check it up myself as even in English I had never heard of the word. I don't know anything about "le monde de l'imprimerie" in French other than "mon journal s'il vous plait" et Guthemberg et sa presse.

Sorry can't help and my excuse is that requested word is not typically used in a house renovation forum....

LOL indeed, Cendrillon!  And thank you, Wooly, for being your usual helpful self?[:P]

Dear Lord, lead us not into temptation to use little-known words and please may we be spared any more technical words like "kerning".  Amen. 

[quote user="ericd"]Waoo! I even had to check it up myself as even in English I had never heard of the word. I don't know anything about "le monde de l'imprimerie" in French other than "mon journal s'il vous plait" et Guthemberg et sa presse. Sorry can't help and my excuse is that requested word is not typically used in a house renovation forum....[/quote]

Come on, Eric, of course, it's used in house renovation![:D]  What if you want to call your house "Chez Nous" (many do in the UK, I assure you) and then you'd need to know that you'd certainly use a bit of kerning between the "e" and the "z" in Chez and again between the "o" and the "n" and the "o" and the "u" in Nous.

Weedon, is it nice when you stopped banging your head against the wall?[:P]

Now, look what you've started, you naughty Dog! 

Edit:  oops, sorry forgot to explain that you would need to use this kerning in order to paint the name of your house on your gate  

Kerning is very important I was trying to explain this to a french signwriter who just seemed to think letters should be flung at signs. No finesse some people. It makes me so annoyed when I see awful typography. I really must dig out my Larousse 5 language dictionary of printing terms.

Dog, you should have said that earlier !!! I now fully understand your frustration....""" Vouss n'aveze pass jamaiss entendoo la systemee de Kerning you stupid French sign maker""" ????

Sweet 17 this reminds me of one of the best ever "Hardware store sketch" by the two Ronnies.....Got any Os as in "Mon Repos"......How many do you want ????

One that you won't know is the word Schmilblick !!

When all the other truc, machin, truc chouette might make do for a widget, dooda etc. the word "schmilblick" will be used when there is complete ignorance of the item in question. Practice the word first on your own, wouldn't want to be responsible for a serious "piece taking" at your local abreuvoir.