Frenchman on the forum, ready to help with technical words etc.

ericd

Here's a few I would like to know (I know a few of them and think I know a lot of them....therin lies both the danger and the hilarity at the builders merchants)

Gable ladder

Valley Gutter

Ridge

Truss

Back gutter

Flashing (As in lead or zinc)

Gutter bracket

Downpipe

Insulated Cavity closer

Insulation Bat

Tanking (As in waterproofing)

The name of the clips for metal frame ceiling (The ones that affix to chevrons allowing alignment)

Geotextile membrane

Fence / Gate post

Scalpings (MOT Type 1)

Shuttering (Formwork)

Scaffold plank

Cherry picker

Block and tackle

Re-pointing

Concrete repair

Epoxy coating

Weather bar

Thermal bridge

Damp proof course

Brick tie

Frame tie (Door)

Frame tie (Window)

Timber quadrant

Nail gun

Breathable membrane

Skip

Demolition hammer / Kango (As distinct from hammer drill)

Firring pieces

Folding wedges

Woodwork joints

BigMac this is short of taking the mickey.....Hope this helps and please do not go and order them all at the same time or take 2 days off when you do so.

Gable ladder = Une échelle??

Valley Gutter = Une noue also see www.toitureetfacade.fr/front/17-1-Lexique

Ridge = Le faît du toit – Le faitage du toit

Truss = Visit this page www.chovin.fr/html/petit_lexique_illustre.html

Back gutter = Gouttiere ….explain difference between back gutter and front gutter

Flashing (As in lead or zinc) = Une moraine

Gutter bracket = Crochet à gouttière

Downpipe = Tuyaux de descente de gouttière or DEP (descente eaux pluviales)

Insulated Cavity closer = Explain in English

Insulation Bat = Explain in English

Tanking (As in waterproofing) = Rendre impermeable à l’eau or Mise hors eau.

The name of the clips for metal frame ceiling (The ones that affix to chevrons allowing alignment) = Clips métallique (make sure you pronounce the “s” of clips)

Geotextile membrane = Wooven or non wooven ??

Fence / Gate post = Barrière / Un poteau (de portail, de portique, de barrière)

Scalpings (MOT Type 1) = Explain in English

Shuttering (Formwork) = Explain in English

Scaffold plank = Une planche pour échaffaudage

Cherry picker = Une plateforme élévatrice.

Block and tackle = Une poulie de levage

Re-pointing = Refaire les joints = rejointer les pierres/briques

Concrete repair = Reparation au ciment otherwise Explain the exact purpose.

Epoxy coating = une couche d’epoxy

Weather bar = Barre

Thermal bridge = Un pont thermique

Damp proof course = Une protection hydrofuge

Brick tie =

Frame tie (Door) =

Frame tie (Window) =

Timber quadrant = Baguette ¼ de rond or demi (1/2) rond

Nail gun = Un pistolet à clous

Breathable membrane = Une membrane poreuse

Skip = Une benne

Demolition hammer / Kango (As distinct from hammer drill) = Un marteau piqueur

Firring pieces ….Firing or furring???

Folding wedges = What application?

Woodwork joints = Des (un) Joints

Link to Un petit lexique de menuiserie www.mouasseh.fr/ressources/lexique_menuiserie/index.html

www.chassis-fenetres.info/lexique/lexiquea.pdf

Link to Un petit lexique de plomberie www.mouasseh.fr/ressources/lexique_pb/index.html

Link to complete lexique de maçonnerie www.archidirect.com/francais/infocenter/lex_const.php3

You Sir are a star!...I was only idly popping down a list of 'Things wot I had struggled with' and now I have my own bespoke translatory list! Woo hoo! Thank you kindly.

Gable ladder = Une échelle??
Valley Gutter = Une noue also see www.toitureetfacade.fr/front/17-1-Lexique
Ridge = Le faît du toit – Le faitage du toit
Truss = Visit this page www.chovin.fr/html/petit_lexique_illustre.html
Back gutter = Gouttiere ….explain difference between back gutter and front gutter (Back gutter is the flashing upstand behind a chimney)
Flashing (As in lead or zinc) = Une moraine
Gutter bracket = Crochet à gouttière
Downpipe = Tuyaux de descente de gouttière or DEP (descente eaux pluviales)
Insulated Cavity closer = Explain in English (The material that is isnserted around door and window openings to ensure that the cold does not enter the room through a weak point in the insulation)
Insulation Bat = Explain in English (A mat of insulation material often inserted into cavioty brickwork or under a floating floor)
Tanking (As in waterproofing) = Rendre impermeable à l’eau or Mise hors eau.
The name of the clips for metal frame ceiling (The ones that affix to chevrons allowing alignment) = Clips métallique (make sure you pronounce the “s” of clips)
Geotextile membrane = Wooven or non wooven ?? (Both ;-))
Fence / Gate post = Barrière / Un poteau (de portail, de portique, de barrière)
Scalpings (MOT Type 1) = Explain in English (Stone chippings compacted to form a sub base for concrete work or roads)
Shuttering (Formwork) = Explain in English (Timber framing used to contain concrete ...a substantial wooden 'Mould')
Scaffold plank = Une planche pour échaffaudage
Cherry picker = Une plateforme élévatrice.
Block and tackle = Une poulie de levage
Re-pointing = Refaire les joints = rejointer les pierres/briques
Concrete repair = Reparation au ciment otherwise Explain the exact purpose. (Spalled window cills due to frost require localised repair)
Epoxy coating = une couche d’epoxy
Weather bar = Barre
Thermal bridge = Un pont thermique
Damp proof course = Une protection hydrofuge
Brick tie =
Frame tie (Door) =
Frame tie (Window) =
Timber quadrant = Baguette ¼ de rond or demi (1/2) rond
Nail gun = Un pistolet à clous
Breathable membrane = Une membrane poreuse
Skip = Une benne
Demolition hammer / Kango (As distinct from hammer drill) = Un marteau piqueur
Firring pieces ….Firing or furring??? (Firring a tapering timber batten placed beneath a flat roof deck to create a 'fall')
Folding wedges = What application?  Two small firring pieces which are tapped into place around a frame inserted in an opening passing each other point to point and then fixed through creating a good solid distance piece)
Woodwork joints = Des (un) Joints

Link to Un petit lexique de menuiserie www.mouasseh.fr/ressources/lexique_menuiserie/index.html
www.chassis-fenetres.info/lexique/lexiquea.pdf
Link to Un petit lexique de plomberie www.mouasseh.fr/ressources/lexique_pb/index.html
Link to complete lexique de maçonnerie www.archidirect.com/francais/infocenter/lex_const.php3

Insulated Cavity closer = Explain in English (The material that is isnserted around door and window openings to ensure that the cold does not enter the room through a weak point in the insulation)

Joint de porte or joint de fenetre

Scalpings (MOT Type 1) = Explain in English (Stone chippings compacted to form a sub base for concrete work or roads)

Caillasse (generic term for stones that serve no purpose or have no value)

Caillasse compactee

Folding wedges = What application? Two small firring pieces which are tapped into place around a frame inserted in an opening passing each other point to point and then fixed through creating a good solid distance piece)

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote user="ericd"]Scalpings (MOT Type 1) = Explain in English (Stone chippings compacted to form a sub base for concrete work or roads) Caillasse (generic term for stones that serve no purpose or have no value) Caillasse compactee[/quote]

I thought they were useful in Tremblay and Bobigny for "tuning" bodywork on local buses.[:)]

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

I will answer a few that I know and/or have a different wording than the last posting

Gable ladder, - eschelle pour mur pignon however this to me is just a longer standard ladder, do you mean a roof ladder?

Valley Gutter

Ridge

Truss

Back gutter

Flashing (As in lead or zinc) bande à solin zinc, bande à solin plomb

Gutter bracket

Downpipe

Insulated Cavity closer

Insulation Bat

Tanking (As in waterproofing) protection soubassement (the crinkly plastic sheet) bitume de soubassement, or just ask for Rubson

The name of the clips for metal frame ceiling (The ones that affix to chevrons allowing alignment) could be either cavaliers or suspentes dependant on what you mean, try looking at the placostyle web site

Geotextile membrane membrane géotextile, or just géotextile, if you are having trouble asking for this it may be your prononciation

Fence / Gate post

Scalpings (MOT Type 1) Tout venant, as the name suggests what you get will be a lucky dip depndant on your region and may vary betwen loads.

Shuttering (Formwork) Coffrage, made from planchers de coffrage

Scaffold plank Planche d'eschafaudage

Cherry picker I know this but cant remember, elevateur à platforme?

Block and tackle Palan à chaine

Re-pointing rejointoiement

Concrete repair

Epoxy coating resin epoxy?

Weather bar jet d'eau?

Thermal bridge pont thermique

Damp proof course For walls it doesnt exist in France because of the chainage verticale but DPM - film sous dalle is available

Brick tie dont know as I have never seen a cavity wall

Frame tie (Door) pattes de fixation

Frame tie (Window) Ditto

Timber quadrant moulure 1/4 rond

Nail gun Paslode! Cloueuse pneumatique

Breathable membrane

Skip Une benne, rare as rokinng horse **** and cost more

Demolition hammer / Kango (As distinct from hammer drill) Marteau piqueur

Firring pieces

Folding wedges Dont even know what they are in English but a wedge is une calle but not all calles are wedges!

Woodwork joints bloomin eck you have hundreds to choose from, mortise et tenon (obvious) mitre = onglet, splice = enture

[/quote]

Whilst I am happy to rattle the grey matter in recalling these terms Big-Mac you could have found most of them in a Brico-depot or Leroy Merlin catalogue, actually I had to resort to them several times having forgotten some of them [;-)]

P.S. now that I know that folding wedges dont fold and are just firrings then I can confirm that the old couvreurs name for them is une chanlatte not that I have ever seen them for sale.

Hello Eric - just read this thread, so welcome to the forum.

As someone else from the Newcastle area, just north of Whitley Bay,  "hoos it gannin i'the match?" Do you know geordie too?

I see you've acquired some of the geordie sense of humour  [:D]

The Toon just won the Championship cup so we aall happy aboot it. Me and wor lass will celebrate by getin some broon ale doon wor necks and then gan for a chinkey afta. It will give wa a git lush boost. Then will gan yam for a bit of sport to finish the evening off. Lush man, geet time we haven up north in Geordie land.

Is that good enough? Did i pass the test???

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

What on earth have I started?  lol!

If we just sort these alphabetically and pop them in an 'Eric' thread then the bodgers bible would be well under way!

Thanks Chancer and Eric I am officially enlightened!

T

[/quote]

Actually this could become useful as a sticky reference lexis.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

What on earth have I started?  lol!

If we just sort these alphabetically and pop them in an 'Eric' thread then the bodgers bible would be well under way!

Thanks Chancer and Eric I am officially enlightened!

T

[/quote] Actually this could become useful as a sticky reference lexis. Moderator, how do we go about it?

[quote user="ericd"]The Toon just won the Championship cup so we aall happy aboot it. Me and wor lass will celebrate by getin some broon ale doon wor necks and then gan for a chinkey afta. It will give wa a git lush boost. Then will gan yam for a bit of sport to finish the evening off. Lush man, geet time we haven up north in Geordie land.

Is that good enough? Did i pass the test???[/quote]

Yes I heard about that - Haway the Lads!

And your Geordie is impeccable.