Sealing pier aparent internal walls

crossy67

Anyone know of a sealer that will prevent dust that could be used on stone walls? 

We have exposed the stone and re-pointed it and it looks really good, I just want something to stop the dust and bits of mortar and stone dropping off if you brush past it..  I was wondering what people use to stop dust and bits falling off without making it look like a varnished piece of cladding.

Ta

Ian

Following the advice of our neighbours in Spain we have always used old varnish remnants (from boat, windows, wherever), diluted with at least an equal volume of sub turps (white spirit if you prefer). Brings out the colour of the stone without making it all look too twee.

Edit: Cheap, too [:)]

hi ok

Found this out by accident .....use the water based hydrofuge seals and stops the dust and does not change the colour of the stone .. Put it in a garden sprayer and give it a good coating ....do not do my mistake and try to do several light coats being water based ...... and being a water proofer ............. the second coat runs off

Dave

[quote user="crossy67"]Thanks for the tips folks. 

Just a quick thought on the water proofer.  What happens if you want to re-plaster the wall in the future?
[/quote]

Hi Ok

They render /plaster over a new injected DPC in the UK  .. so why should it be different here ??

Dave

[quote user="crossy67"] the dust and bits of mortar and stone dropping off if you brush past it.. 

[/quote]

Curiosity has finally got the better of me :-)

Why are bits "dropping off" as you put it?

What have you pointed the stone with?

I've never heard of anyone doing this. It seems an awful lot of work and expense. After a while the dust will settle .When our walls look a bit dusty I just go over them with the brush attachment on the hoover,works like a dream.

I remember during renovation the dust just seems to keep coming.

We have stone walls in the kitchen, bedroom above and grenier above that. because the quality of the large stones was not good, we repointed  and then limewashed over the whole lot. The result is not at all dusty. :-)

This is the bedroom

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/House.jpg[/IMG]

The white band at the top is concrete where the grenier floor has been replaced. Chaux does not stick well to concrete.

What was the addition of cement to the mix for?

The cement is already added to the lime, I am not sure of the name of it.  I asked the builders merchant what was best for the job, he gave me a sack of stuff.  I read and translated it after using it for about a month, it says it contains cement.  Looks nice either way.

Thanks for the replies.

Ian

[quote user="crossy67"]The cement is already added to the lime, I am not sure of the name of it.  I asked the builders merchant what was best for the job, he gave me a sack of stuff.  I read and translated it after using it for about a month, it says it contains cement.  Looks nice either way.

Thanks for the replies.

Ian
[/quote]

Be one of the Tradixxxxx products.

Tradifarge made by Lafarge is typical.

http://www.lafarge-france.fr/suppliers/lafarge/docstore_pdm/Documentation/CHAUX-TRADIFARGE-LAFARGE-GCC-2008.pdf

Note that it has NHL5- Z  on the bag the 5 is the strength but more important is the Z which indicates that it contains an ADDED LIANT in this case cement.

In accordance with popular misdirected  belief on this forum the Z means CEMENT.

In fact it could be another liant which is not cement.

Observation the "walls have got to BREATH syndrome" is of little relevance on the third floor; unless of course you are living in a chaumière in normandie with grass lawn on the roof.[:)]

crossy67

You are not alone in this, we had the grenier renovated some 5 years ago and the exposed stone was repointed with a lime mix similar to yours. Since then we too have been trying to find a remedy of falling little bits of the lime. Someone suggested that we varnish it but.........no. The hydrofuge idea could be worth exploring though.