Cost of Timber in France

fisherman

Can I have your advice please.

I'm returning to France in a couple of weeks to do a few jobs around the house and need a few lengths of 1x2 and 2x2 par timber.

I have room on the top of the car for these but is it cheaper to buy timber in the UK or is France comparable in price.

I have looked on the the Brico(s) web sites but I am not sure if the prices I see are for several lengths or just one.

Thanks for your help.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="Frederick"]And far harder to find a straight length ![/quote]

Been to B&Q lately Frederick?[:)]

[/quote]

French company Sam? Seriously I despair of getting "carpentry" grade soft wood  anywhere anymore, whether in France or the |UK, but I must say the French prices do make me suck my cheeks in when I'm desperate for a piece of wood.  When ever I cross the channel heading for France, my roof rack is always loaded with timber, just about gets under the height bar.Having said that, when the journey is in the other direction there is always space made for a few planks of Oak. [:D]  

[quote user="fisherman"]I have room on the top of the car for these but is it cheaper to buy timber in the UK or is France comparable in price. [/quote]

I mean, really?

You said "A few lengths."  If the difference was £10 or £20, is it worth it for that?  My impression is that there's not much difference, but I'm out of date.  Certainly, timber isn't that dear around here at least.

Don't buy it at the Brico....local scierie is the way to go....when buying get a couple of extra bits lay them on some dpm and paint them with a mop and xylothene. wrap them up for a few days then rack them to dry (I use my scaffold tower as a rudimentary 'wood rack'

I bought 3 douglas fir purlins last year in the Scierie at Lassay le Chateaux....From memory they are about 400 x 150 x 3.5 metres - rough sawn but square and true for structural purposes. If memory serves €118  / 2.1 cube = €56.19 per cubic metre / say 1.12 (exchange rate) so £50.17 per m3 --ish measurements if anything may be slightly greater (I have had a stroke between times and the brain does some odd things) UK Timber merchants price for an equivalent amount of timber was about  £300 <=> £142.85 m2. (However this was c16 graded)...pays your money etc..

Another top tip if you have a bench saw is to buy the bigger beams and cut them down to 4x2 or whatever your self much cheaper if a faff and lovely sawdust for your sawdust fired workshop heater....(No I haven't but I do fancy one!)