Do the French negotiate when buying property? Discuss!!

I would be so interested in peoples experiences on how differently the French approach the whole negotiation process when it comes to agreeing a price for a property. Are experience so far ( and we are selling by the way) has made us realise how different we are culturally..but maybe there are those out there who would disagree.

When we were buying, we experienced the whole range of reactions to haggling over the price.  Several sellers had clearly put an unrealistic price on their property but needed that amount of cash to move on, and so were sticking to it come hell or high water.  Others kept whispering to the agent that he must be sure to tell me the price was negotiable for a quick sale (which he didn't, but then he had insisted on showing off his poor English and didn't realise I could speak French.......)    The house we finally bought was owned by a woman so wealthy she was happy to see it continue to sit empty rather than reduce the price[:(], so we eventually agreed a reduced fee with the estate agent.

I guess it's the same as the UK, everyone different.  Always worth putting in a much lower offer and seeing what the reaction is.

Chrissie (81)

edit: sorry, re-read your post - and you are selling.  Would suggest you DON'T tell your agent your lowest price as he would rather have a quick sale than a slightly higher price!

We were lucky in that the owner wanted a quick sale anyway because he needed funds to buy a buisiness.  I knew the estate agent as we used to play badminton in the same club - he told me how low the owner was willing to go really and I got him down 5,000 Francs below that[:)] 

In exchange for the inside information the agent asked me to pretend I was interested in another property he was trying to sell.  All I had to do was visit the house at the same time as the couple he was hoping to sell to and act like I was very interested in buying too.  Apparently this goes on a lot!

[quote user="Carolski"]

I would be so interested in peoples experiences on how differently the French approach the whole negotiation process when it comes to agreeing a price for a property. Are experience so far ( and we are selling by the way) has made us realise how different we are culturally..but maybe there are those out there who would disagree.

[/quote]

Carolski, would be very interested to hear about your own experience and why you feel the cultural difference in French and English buyers are so different.

I experienced this too. When we bought the market was different but I found as you outside of a few very good ones, many just didn't care at all and would never get back to me. I also found some not to be straight at all.

One example, I saw a house on an agents website I was very keen on, but in order to make a special trip to see just one house I tried to get as much information as possible. I made it clear that the situation was the most important factor and no where near a road. After many bad experiences of being told otherwise by agents, I hammered home this point and must have asked a dozen times for a description of the situation and where the road was etc..

In the end, I did make a special trip to only see this house and sure enough it was right on a b***** road. I was furious, when I asked the agent why he lied to me, his reply was there has to be a road so you can get to the house.  [blink]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Personally, I always try and negotiate a better price, whether it offends or not. You'll never see the people again, so who cares what they think of you.

I even haggle in Darty!
[/quote]

I respectfully suggest that for those buying in rural France this advice is not correct and should be treated with caution.  In my experience this advice may make a sucessful buyer regret ever moving to rural France.

When we bought our house, we researched the seller who turned out to be the local "laird", in that he owned the entire valley and rented out most of the houses, and all of the farms in the valley.  Our house was his house, and the only direct sale.  He was only moving because his wife wanted, after 40 years, to live in the local town.

We paid the asking price without haggling, and have never regretted it.  After moving in he visited us every day to make sure all was well, and after six years he still calls round usually once a week or at a minimum once a month.  He introduced us to all the local farmers, and took us visiting them.  They are all our friends now.  He visits the valley once a week, and does the rounds of the farmers and us, stopping for a pastis or local brew at each place, varying his stops each trip.  We are part of the community, and the neighbours have saved our bacon many times, one time even it could be said saving my life.  He is well liked locally, but I am sure that if we had offended him when buying our house, our life here would be very different.  He would have put the neighbours against us, and we would have been outcasts.  The neighbours confirmed to us that they initially took the trouble to get to know us because the seller asked them to look after us.

This may be an extreme case, but if we had followed the advice of "LyndaandRichard" we would have regretted it.  The part "You'll never see the people again, so who cares what they think of you" certainly did not apply to us, and I suspect that it would not apply to many buyers in rural France.

I would always treat the seller with respect, and in rural France I would expect to see the seller again.

David

That is a nice story.

I am in touch with a prominent, well informed immobilier and he has confirmed that prices are 15...to 20 %lower than 3 months ago...in other words property has been over priced and will sell at a lower figure.Some areas are especially outside this situation......Negotiation is part and parcel of buisness and any seller understands that.Respect is related to the two individuals and how they relate to each other. 

Very true Jon,

Fully agree.  However, when we bought six years ago, prices in north Deux-Sevres were on the up, and I think they still might be.

I was not trying to say "do not negotiate", I was trying to say treat the seller with respect, or you may regret it, rather than the cavalier "who cares, you will never see them again".

David

What in Frith's name is this "not negotiate" business? Houses are generally overpriced by 20-30% locally, including the Deux Sèvres. If the vendor won't negotiate, then walk away leaving a minimum offer on the table. After they have had no enquiries for several months, your offer will look very attractive. And when negotiating, shave at least 20% off the agents fees. There is loads on the market and they dont know what to do with it. Everyone (including Brits desperate to sell)  is hoping a British/foreign milch cow will come along and pay through the nose.

If the vendor agrees to your offer, his/her behaviour afterwards is down to character, not being sore with the deal.

Stop playing charity and get dealing. If an agent won't negotiate then tell them to b u g g e r off.

If someone really wants a property and offers the asking price then I understand that the vendor cannot then sell to anyone else for a higher price?  ( ie gazumping above the asking price isn't allowed).

We wanted our house and paid the full price. The vendor couldn't have been more helpful...and still is one year later!!

Our estate agent said that the locals liked to sell to the English as they were much more easy-going to deal with than the French. I wonder if that means compliant with the price???[:)]

On the other side of Davids experience, we decided to put in a lower price than was asked, we didnt take the mickey , which I think we could of as we were told by the agent they were desperate to sell as they were sorley in need of the money. so we talked about it and decided a saving of 5,000 e would help us cover all the fees and just make us feel we had got a bargain. We did worry about weather they would be up set about this , but they didnt even think about it and said yes straight away. We met them in the notaires office and they were loverly, she wanted to know about us and told us loads about the history of the house and how it had always been in the family and how her grandfather had worked in there every day (as it was a barn conversion) and she would go and watch him, they left everything in the house right down to the teaspoons , TV microwave full gas bottle, her mother still lives in the village and waves when ever she shes us. I think people price there houses a little up knowing people will knock a little off.       

Woolybully or banana rama s aunt...there is no need for this!You do not know the deatails.The new owners are happy with their situation.

That is the m ost important outcome.Time to learn about life...it does not live in the wallet.

No I dont think we did, compared to other houses in the area we looked at this one was a snip. My hubby wouldnt over pay for anything trust me . he went throught the cellar and attic with his screw river and torch on our 2nd visit, plus had his electric tester out and was down the drains , keeping the estate agent waiting 2 hours , while I tried to make small talk , take photos and measure the rooms, I think he thought we were potty.

At the end of the day if your happy with what you brought , its worth it.[:D]   

Shoe menders jon. Unless you have it to chuck away. And precious few of us do. By the way, I been ther and done it many many differtent ways and places. France is just another stopping place. If these precious new owners knew they had spent say an extra 20 or 30 thousand quid just to buy a few smiles on peoples' faces would they really be happy. Get real.[6]

I am in France and have been for 12 years except of three days a week over a few years when I went to teach in a Belgian uni and have just sold and bought so I am bang up to date. And I am a fluent French speaker and have a Francophone family. And think my function here is to have a bit of fun and also shoot fluffies in the fluffy hunting season. And I am also in love with Twinkle, but that is another story.

I have interrogated agents and notaires over months and sellers and buyers and have formed strongish opinions. Some of these you are beginning to discern. They may not be nice but they are realistic.

And I cant type[6]

Wooley why do you think you are the only person with his eyes open? I have made us a fortune , buying and selling houses over the years, I didnt turn to mush just because I brought in france, I did my home work and got us a good bargain, but at the same time have no reason to grind down on people just because they are having a hard time and needed the money, Probally why I still see the joy in life and you feel you need to put other people down to feel better . What do you think ?[:)] 

Pads, noone wants to grind anyone down at all. But at the same time you dont want to chuck it away. And yes I get strange looks when I ask for the furniture to be moved to spot damp and to see the electrics and the rest (wont go into details). But I do get cross when I see people suspending natural scepticism when they come abroad and paying through the nose. Buying Brits are not walking charities to be milked as many French vendors believe and many Brits confirm.

I am sorry to say that the agents do not always help either though some are brilliant.

And TWINKLE has earned the right to my heart, though why the hell she whould want that battered old thing I dunno.

Wooly, I agree with you.  And, as I am probably going to be selling and then buying in the next few months, I wouldn't mind someone like you on my side.  I, too, am much too much of a softie and I dare say I have had the rotten end of the bargain as a result.  Doesn't do to be too eager to please, what?

I am also a little hurt and jealous that you love Twinkle.  I thought you had a teeny bit of a soft spot for me, no?