Ordering replacement double glazing on line

Lehaut

Have bought most things on the internet, but never glass! Need two new replacement double glazed windows, 118/130 cms 4/12/4. Have done a search and found a company which will make them up and deliver them for 215 euros the pair. Price seems very reasonable and am off to the local suppliers later in the week to see what he has to offer. Wondered if anyone had any comments?

Two complete panels, not argon filled, made to measure with the silica inserts. At 25 euros delivery I thought it was very good, almost half the price of other sites. The "review" sites give them 4.5 out of 5, mostly because of the length of time it took to receive the order. I am not in a rush as they old units are cloudy on the inside, but not broken. It amazes me that you cannot recycle the units, it must cost too much to clean up the glass and rebuild using new aluminium inserts :(. No DIY repair kits seem to exist.

Not argon filled, is that the main difference in the price between Co's?  Argon filling does two things, provides better insulation than ordinary air and by equalising the pressure the units last longer as it hard to maintain a vacuum in vacuum glazing units although these units are the most thermally efficient. 

Are any of them low emissivity glass?

You get what you pay for.

Around ā‚¬65 per m2 plus delivery, cheap by French prices and I commend you for having found a supplier directly, over 9 years I have always failed.

But compared to the UK price its a lot for a very inferior product, I pay Ā£25 per m2 for argon filled low emissivity glass sealed units in that thickness.

I would be very wary of the French courier companies transporting sealed units no matter how well they are packaged but then I am not going to find a supplier 1km from my home like I can in the UK.

When you look at the price of a complete wood or UPVC window of a similar size in Brico-depot then the rip off  price of  sealed units alone becomes apparent.

Chancer you are right, if I could just replace the windows complete, then I would. They are part of a sun lounge build onto the side of the house, separated by two doors (thick walls!) so the argon element is not in question. I take your point about the delivery and will repost when and if I take them up.

Slightly off topic, am I right in thinking that double glazed full height door units now have to be toughened glass, even for a replacement?

[quote user="Lehaut"]Slightly off topic, am I right in thinking that double glazed full height door units now have to be toughened glass, even for a replacement?[/quote]

If you heard some of the stories about what happens when people walk, run or fall into non-toughened glass, you'd want to fit toughened glass in full-height panels even if they were not mandatory. One I will remember all my days was hearing the story (and this is now 30 years ago) of a young girl in Blackburn who ran into a full-length porch window (non-toughened). The girl died from blood loss (femoral artery was severed) before the ambulance could get there - and it got there within 2 minutes of the call IIRC.

Argon, only meant it was not worth paying the difference for this particular project. I have installed one in my sons bedroom, the difference is impressive.

http://www.allovitres.com/

Is the company. I have not ordered anything from them yet, they are the best price I have found for just the units.

• 4 months later...