Where in France?

Hi Everyone

This is my first post: We live in Hunstanton, Norfolk (gods waiting room) were both in our forties and would like to buy a little place in France and all being well move over permantly within the next couple of years, but were not quite sure where to start looking.  We have toured around France on a motorbike on several occasions mainly around the centre and the Alps but the last trip a couple of years ago we traveled the west coast the Pyrenees to Calais stopped at some lovely places but usally just for one night then we were off again.  We liked La Rochelle and round the coast to St Malo which seems close enough to fly or drive back to the UK if need be.  We would like to be near the sea as we have both always lived near the coast.  Work for me would be important I'm in the building trade so would like to be in an area with other ex pats so I could pick up some work.  Jane my partner would also like to find part time work she's a catering manager in a school at present.

So anyway now you know a bit about us my question is where would be a good place to start looking and which areas would be good for me finding work? The other thing we need to take into consideration is cost, we only have a small budget and would like to buy somewhere that needs a bit of work which I can do.  I realise that some areas are more expensive than others like on the coast for example so slightly inland would be OK and which areas are good value for money at present?

Will apologise now for my grammer

Look forward to your replies

John Cook (Cookie)

John, You are going to either get loads of answers or hardly any. The reason is that France is so huge and has many different and diverse areas.

We also visited on our bikes back in 2004 from our house about 30 miles from Sunny Hunny. By the end of that year we and the bikes were living here.

The west coast of Brittany is quite cheap as far as I can see - but the weather forecast has always put me off.

We live in the Limousin in the centre, nowhere near the sea.  I lived by the sea in the UK for most of my life and it is something I miss - but this is a beautiful area of lakes and rivers, which is some compensation.  It is still one of the cheapest areas with a good selection of old stone houses to do up.  Cookie, if you could forego your bucket and spade then let me know - there is a lot we could do to help.

[quote user="dr orloff"]

The west coast of Brittany is quite cheap as far as I can see - but the weather forecast has always put me off.

[/quote]

Well I live on the west coast of Brittany and I went swimming in the sea today - admittedly it was not as calm as a millpond - as it was yesterday - there were waves due to the onshore breeze, but that just added to the fun. But I would love to know whereabouts these 'quite cheap properties' you mention are as I would love to buy one. We are still renting after 3 years here due to the high land/property prices in our vicinity.

Sue [8-)]

Well I actually do live in the west of Brittany in Finistère and property by the coast is NOT cheap I can tell you these days. I live right on the coast and just a piece of building land of about 1000m² will cost upwards from 120,000€. There is high unemployment here as it is mostly farming and fishing communities and the young have to travel to other cities and countries to find a decent job. Average take home on the SMIC is about 1000€/month after charges plus this is a pappy-boom area too where all the retired city folks have come back to their Breton roots.

John I should also mention you must NEVER rely on work coming from other british people here, they are dwindling now in numbers buying in the region and most are doing their own work. It was rich pickings 15 years ago but we now have 95% french clients and ocassionally the odd UK customer,so you would need to learn the language well to be able to cope with the paperwork in french and speaking with your clients. Finding employment is hard without any language skills and bosses are very wary on taking people on because of the hefty social charges this incurrs. Do some serious homework before deciding on a place which will give you an income.

Well apologies folks.  I have extrapolated incorrectly from my househunting days five years ago.  I remember looking at web details of cheap as chips little cottages in Finisterre.  However, on the forecasts that little area always seemed several degrees cooler than elsewhere (although mild in Winter) with little rain clouds above it.  I imagined the kind of misty landscapes that zombies appeared from in early Romero's.

Prices in our area were cheap too then.  Land prices have risen a lot, but plots cost nowhere near those prices. Staggering.

Hi John

I used to live in Dersingham and I know Hunstanton very well: when I was at school (40 years ago!) I used to work at the bingo on Huns'ton Pier (before the fire) during the holidays and I've also caught a few tope there in my time.

My advice would be to take a few months out and rent (gites) in different locations. That way you will be able to test out your ideas before any permanent move.

Good luck

Hi Blossom

Nice to hear from you I used to live in Dersingham up until a couple of years ago now living on Manor Park for the time being anyway.  Went bowling at the Pier the other night it was good laugh & they have a bar!  Do a bit of fishing myself usually go round to Salthouse got some good Bass last year.

We are intending on checking out different areas but will only be able to come over for long weekends until xmas I know France is a big place & we have a lot of research to do as well as learning the language.

Cheers

Cookie

Another point to consider is that you can't rely on cheapo airline destinations. With fuel roaring upwards, airlines will be pulling in their horns and interesting routes Stansted to X-sur-mer WILL get pulled over the next few years, and it'll be back to the ferry. All the ferry ports are a bit of a ** from North Norfolk, but .....

We suffer from that here in west Brittany because Ryanair Brest/Luton finishes October - March and the only other alternative by air is a 6 hour round trip to Dinard/Pleutuit airport if you take into account 2hrs each way plus the 2hours wait before flying and then Stansted is of no use to us anyway. Flybe is to other destinations and pretty expensive.

[quote user="Val_2"]John I should also mention you must NEVER rely on work coming from other british people here, they are dwindling now in numbers buying in the region and most are doing their own work. It was rich pickings 15 years ago but we now have 95% french clients and ocassionally the odd UK customer,so you would need to learn the language well to be able to cope with the paperwork in french and speaking with your clients. Finding employment is hard without any language skills and bosses are very wary on taking people on because of the hefty social charges this incurrs. Do some serious homework before deciding on a place which will give you an income.[/quote]

This is such good advice from someone who knows! It costs a king's ransom to set up in the building trade, it is not like the UK where anyone can have a go - witness all the Eastern block builders plumbers and electricians! You have to have expensive insurances and a special state number that you will not get without state courses to check the profficiency in your profession - yes you pay for these! If you try to work without this you are in danger of deportation and colossal fines! Then there is the payment for healthcare! It is not like the UK where anyone is seen free! Until you are retirement age and have a full National Insurance entitlement that you can exchange for 70% French care, you will have to pay! I hate pouring cold water on dreams but you are better to know the facts and then make the right decisions!

• 4 weeks later...

I think in a nutshell, if you pick anywhere near Provence or the Riveria (St tropez) coast, it will be too pricey. The west coast and also the south west around Biarritz are def possibilities. Being in the building trade you should be able to find things to do easily enough and would recommend you circulate your name to the ex pat communities (can be found on the web) or even advertise on something like 'riviera radio' which is for ex pats. There are a lot of holiday home owners that find it hard or they dont trust French builders, so I think you could be on to something. Finding work in France is not easy...

www.qualityvillas.com

• 1 month later...