Back to Basics - How & When?

ali-cat

Sorry for such a simple query - but I would just like a little advice.  Can someone please tell me when is the best time to open a French Bank account & if the answer is "before you move", how?   Can it be done as a non-resident?  Or should we keep a British account open & use our Mastercard until we are settled?  Would anyone, out there, mind telling me how they went about it?

Sorry, again, but I'm a total novice at this sort of thing!! [Www]

Hi

We opened our bank account while negotiating the purchase of our house in France.  We are UK residents, by the way.  The Britline bank was quite quick and efficient and it was an easy process - all done through the internet.

Yes, you can do it as a non-resident with no problem.  That's what we did when we bought our house and we only converted it to a resident account when my husband finally became full-time resident in France (I still am not).   It really depends what you want it for, but if you are going to be in France regularly and are contemplating a house purchase having a bank account in place is one less thing to worry about.

Personally I would go for a proper French bank rather than Britline, and I would also avoid Credit Agricole, but I know that others might not agree.

We opened an account with Ca Britline before we moved over - perhaps not ideal but it works and they have English speaking staff. Subsequently we have opened an  account with "labanquepostal" which seeme to be the nearest thing the French have to a national bank as we understand it. I would advise keeping a British bank account if you can as you cannot open one if you are domiciled in France.

I walked into a branch of CA in the Deux Sevres and asked if I could speak with an English speaking employee.  I had to wait about 20 mins and then asked if I could open an account.  I had some proof of my adress in the UK and within another 20 mins the account was open.

At the end, I asked if it was possible to obtain a mortgage for a property I was interested in.  Well, 1 year later I'm living in the house of my dreams.  Credit Agricole couldn't have been more helpful.  I even get calls from my contact, just to see how I am.

A lady from the immobilier helped us open one with CA before we actually bought the house but while we were in the process,

I have to say we are impressed with CA's service when there was a delay in the house buying they contacted us twice to suggest we move the money to an interest generating account and we would still have immediate access to the money when we wanted it  [:D] They have been nothing but helpful to us and I have to say far better than any UK bank we have used esp the one I have been with for 43 years [;-)]

I have/did.  Did you not a get a reply?  Also same to KKK (Dotty)

No, and it's breaking my heart!

Only joking. This happens a lot to me. Usually it's just people ignoring me because I'm me. I would imagine the same goes for ms K Kat [:-))]

Ali, sorry for getting giddy, but honestly, you contribute to the forum, you're not just asking questions and not giving anything back. Nothing is simple if you know, is it?

And if you don't know, it is all a bit  'Ooooooohhhhhhhhh'. (As in Wierd and Spooky)

Someone come along and deny it. I dare you[6]

Same as Bassman. Our CA and notaires are almost joined by a door and it was practical to open the account with them before we had even signed the final purchase papers but needed to deposit some money and of course, the notaire accompanied us which got the account on it's way.

"Can it be done as a non-resident? 

As others have said - yes easy peasy.  Take a Utility bill with you as proof of address, passports, driving licence etc..

"Or should we keep a British account open"

Suggest the answer to this is also yes. - you never know when you might need to avail yourself of a British account - even if it is just for receiving UK share dividends or birthday cheques from well meaning relatives who have no idea how expensive it is to cash a 5 pound cheque in France.  Once you have no UK address it seems to be very hard to open a UK account, but there is no problem keeping an existing one open.

"& use our Mastercard until we are settled?"

Generally no, it will cost you more to use than your French one (exchange rates etc.) - but if it is not costing you anything then keep it as a back up - just in case.  And if you do come back to visit the UK, then this will be cheaper than your French card.

Would anyone, out there, mind telling me how they went about it?"

All of the above

Good luck

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Replying to you ali@ards

Do you have anythingto do with motorsport by any chance?

Dotty

[/quote]

Hi Dotty,

Nothing to do with motor sport - but hubby & I have gone to see the North Wesy & a lot of Road Racing, over here.  I also used to work with the late, great, Joey Dunlops sister.  She sent us signed posters & pictures of Robert & Joey, which we have hanging in our hall.  His like will never be seen again.[:'(]