Land-lines vs. mobiles

Hi Everyone,

The holiday home we are buying doesn't have a telephone connection and I was wondering what other peoples experiences were in respect of making and receiving calls to/from the UK.

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get a land line phone installed, the approximate cost, and whether such a phone is favourable to using an english mobile.

Many thanks,

Jacquie

Whilst over at Easter, and leaving our eldest child at home, we decided to install the phone at our cottage in France. We rang France Telecom on 10 14 (gratuit) from a call box, gave a few details, and were connected within two days. We bought a telephone from the supermarket rather than renting one. We receive bills every two months to our UK address. The cost of installaton was 252,95F and the monthly line rental is 68,81F.

Hope this is of use to you,
Lesley

I reckon you would do better to install a landline if you intend to make more than a couple of calls. The cost of using an English mobile phone is prohibitive - on average 50% more, AND you have to pay for incoming calls. Although my wife & I have mobiles which are ok to use in France, we only have them for dire emergencies. There was an article in todays Sunday Times dealing wioth the cost and even allowing for jounalistic 'enthusiasm', it seems that the costs of using an English mobile abroad are high. I have no experience of French mobiles, but I bet their charges for calls outside France ain't cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
Just to say thanks for all the helpful advice. We definitely will get connected via a land-line. Even though we'll only be able to use the house for holidays it seems the cost of the mobile will be prohibitive.

• 2 months later...
I was wondering if anyone uses "dial around" numbers in France with land lines? That is, for example, you would dial a code or another number before dialing your party to get a cheaper rate. I use a special code in the USA, which gives me a call to UK or France at 20 cents a minute......

• 7 years later...

[quote user="ErnieY"]I wondered why prices were quoted in Francs [blink]

Why do they still do that dual pricing BTW, surely everybody had got the hang of the € by now ... [/quote]

Our french friends consider my OH and I to be much better at understanding the 'value' of euros than they are, even though we only arrived here in 2005. Our young neighbours, aged 41 and 40, still translate most euro amounts into francs to give themselves a feel for the amount involved, especially recently when they were researching buying a new car. I got really lost with the many tens of thousands of francs they were talking about; and when they talk of house prices, it is in the many millions of francs - totally confusing for me, but clear to them.

Sue

[quote user="ErnieY"] ....surely everybody had got the hang of the € by now and it's not as though you have an option to pay in one or the other [8-)]
[/quote]

I read in the Midi Libre a report a month or so ago in which waiters were still complaining that they only get 1€ tips when they used to get 5 Francs[8-)]

Great, I'll raid my old coin collection for French Francs and next time I'm leaving a tip offer those.

Considering that from Jan 1 1999, the value exchange rate of the French franc against the € was set at 6.55957 FRF I suppose you have to sympathise but at the same time you'd have though that after nearly a decade they might have got over it [blink]