Getting the electricity bill right

PaulT

We have a house in France, sadly only a holiday home at the moment which we purchased in Jan 07.

We are getting estimated electricity bills the estimated readings are far higher than the actual reading.

The problem is unless by chance, we are not there when the meter reader arrives. Due to extremely limited French we cannot just phone up EDF.

Does any one know if it is possible to pay to have the reader come when we are there or any other suggestions would be most welcome.

My other option was to take a photo of the meter showing the reading and writing, using one of the web based translators, to EDF about the situation.

[quote user="Cat"]

If you sign up here http://www.edf-bleuciel.fr/accueil/identification/ma-premiere-connexion-creation-141069.html you can send your own meter readings in via their website.

[/quote]

Thanks for that Cathy.

However, I thought that I had read that you can only supply your own readings at a particular time, or can they be supplied at any time - think we must be paid up, at the moment, until 2011 [:D]

Paul

This happend to me too.  For the first year the estimated bill was quite high.  At the end of the billing year, we missed the meter man but he left a card in the postbox for us to fill in and return (just like the UK).  We missed the 'cutoff date' for self reading but sent it off anyway. A bit later, we got a revised bill with a revised direct debit amount and a credit for the overpayment that meant that I paid almost nothing the second year.

Unless you're desparate for the money, you could just let it be and think of it as saving up for next year's bill.

I can only tell you what happens to our online reaadings. Because we only use small amounts we receive a bill twice a year. There is a two week "window", just before the bill is due,when we are able to enter the latest meter reading. Set up the internet account and try to enter your reading. It will state when you can make a valid entry.

When you have made a successful entry your bill will be calculated and any rebate paid into your account.

Alistair

[quote user="napoleon"]

I can only tell you what happens to our online readings. Because we only use small amounts we receive a bill twice a year. There is a two week "window", just before the bill is due,when we are able to enter the latest meter reading. Set up the internet account and try to enter your reading. It will state when you can make a valid entry.

When you have made a successful entry your bill will be calculated and any rebate paid into your account.[/quote]

We have a similar situation, only we get bills every 2 months from EDF, we have DD so now worries about unpaid bills.

We  read the meter when we leave the property, and use that reading to record on our internet account site, the site will tell you when to enter your reading, if we miss inputting our own reading they will do an estimate bill, if we are away from the house for long periods (like over the winter) I will enter the same reading if no electricity has been used.

EDF have been excellent in refunding any over payment back into our bank. 

You need to keep an eye on the web site and your bills to make sure you do not miss the 'time slot' for inputting your readings!

[quote user="napoleon"]

I can only tell you what happens to our online reaadings. Because we only use small amounts we receive a bill twice a year. There is a two week "window", just before the bill is due,when we are able to enter the latest meter reading. Set up the internet account and try to enter your reading. It will state when you can make a valid entry.

When you have made a successful entry your bill will be calculated and any rebate paid into your account.

Alistair

[/quote]

Isn't it strange how EDFs' systems seem to vary from area to area.

We also pay every two months but twice a year our meter is read by someone aiming their reader at our external electricity box to take an actual reading. This way, although you may get some estimated accounts during the year, you at least get two balancing accounts each year.

In some of the larger towns there is an EDF office which is open part-time, usually market days. The one we use is in Mirande and the man there is very helpful and speaks a bit of english. You might find one in B de G, or another nearby town.

[quote user="P2"]

I shall take the reading next time we are over and then, on a weekly basis, try inputting the reading  [/quote]

You could also try ringing the number on your bill as - with us - the system is mostly automated. Our EDF recognises the phone number you are calling from and from there you make choices, just like in the UK, until you reach an advisor. Many of ours speak some English and love to try out the bit they know. When we arrived and suffered the same scenario as you re estimated bills being far too high, I rang and gave our readings with my fractured French and was always understood and a correct bill achieved. They used to be disappointed I wanted to try out my French rather than speak in English.

Sue

I have used the EDF English-speaking helpline a couple of times: 05 62 16 49 08. They were very helpful, arranged and re-arranged meter readers for us and arranged for us to change tariffs. There is quite a bit to listen through, American sounding, then some French, then a helpful person comes along. Once it didn't work, so I started again. We were cut off once, but the very helpful person put a note on our file, so when I got through again the new person knew exactly where we had got to with the problem. Ace!

They also have an email address, although I haven't used it, but I understand they are quick at responding: simpleenergywithedf.fr

By the way, we recently had a letter changing our direct debit from quite high amounts to just 25 euros per month. We have only owned the apartment since April, and spend about half the time there; they have obviously already realised the amounts taken were too high and taken action. I'm very pleased with EDF so far. Good luck with sorting it out - Jo

[quote user="P2"]

The problem is unless by chance, we are not there when the meter reader arrives. Due to extremely limited French we cannot just phone up EDF.

Does any one know if it is possible to pay to have the reader come when we are there or any other suggestions would be most welcome.

[/quote]

Further to my earlier post I have copy/pasted this from their web site (It refers to my meter readings):

mon prochain relevé de compteur

Le relevé de compteur, au moins 2 fois par an, est nécessaire pour connaître votre consommation d'électricité et établir vos factures au plus juste.

Le prochain passage d'un releveur EDF est prévu vers le 25/11/2008.
Si vous êtes absent, et qu'il ne peut effectuer le relevé de votre compteur, il vous laissera un coupon Auto Relevé d'avis de passage.

Vous pourrez effectuer vous-même le relevé de votre compteur dans votre espace Client entre le 01/12/2008 et le 10/12/2008.

In other words its telling me when the meter reader will come and if I am not there I can place my own reading between the dates stated, so I now have no excuse for getting an estimated bill again! I found this little bit of info on a page in Mon espace client under the heading 'je gére mon contrat ' somewhere I had not been till 'Benjamin' made his other EDF post!

• 3 weeks later...

Last time we were over, a couple of weeks ago, we took the reading. It was 70830. The last estimated bill that EDF sent, dated 10/10/08 has a new estinated reading of 73899.

Just signed up on the Internet, which seems that I have also signed up for electronic bills - no problem the bills are paid by DD.

Enetered the reading, expecting to be rejected as perhaps too early - two monthly bills and the meter reader last tried to read on 22/09/08.

Got the message:

Erreur ! les index corrigés sont inférieurs.

Which I translated as (well with a little help from Google):

Mistake! corrected indexes were lower.

It also tells me:

les chiffres de votre dernière facture : 73899

the digits of your final bill: 73,899

So I take it you can only input a higher reading!

Have I got this right and do I and Google need to write a letter?

Thanks

Paul

Just seen the other page of posts - having submitted the post above.

Thanks Jacqui Too - found the relevant part of the website and it tells me that the meter is due for reading next on 22/03/09 (a Sunday - do they work on a Sunday?) and that I can enter my readings 30/03/09 and 07/04/09.

Thanks for the English number for EDF - will also call them.

Will also try to locate the nearest office - will be back over the week before Xmas.

Really must put even more effort in to improving our limited French - a little note to my old French Master, Mr Dixon, you were totally correct on my reports when you stated 'must pay more attention'.

Paul

[quote user="Hoddy"]

We had the same problem so we had a gizmo fitted which allowed the meter man to read it electronically without even getting out of his van.

Hoddy

[/quote]

Did you ask to have the "gizmo" fitted and if so how much did it cost?

Our gizmo is connected to a meter in an upstairs bedroom. I'm afraid I can't remember what it's called; I don't even know its name in English.

I've seen lots of them in our local towns and villages, especially on commercial properties.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

Yes, we went to the local EDF office to request it. If I remember correctly, it cost E118 in 2003.

Hoddy

[/quote]

You would think that, as it saves them time and money, they would fit them for free. Every time we have had our meter read for the past two years they have had to send someone out by appointment - that can't be cheap!

Think I will put up with the little man calling at the house.

I would think it must be called something like "transmetteur pour le metre de l'electricite." No doubt Claire will be along correct my poor use of French.

From the Edf Website this is what you need.

Avec le Service Relevé Sans Dérangement, le relevé de compteur est effectué à distance.

Grâce à un boîtier posé à l'extérieur de votre logement, votre compteur est relevé sans aucune intervention de votre part et sans que votre présence soit nécessaire.

L'installation du boîtier est gratuite dans le cas d'un logement neuf.

If you haven't got this , for a few missed readings they will leave a card which you either send back, or submit online. If this continues for a period of more than a year, then they can insist on a visit. This used to be free but post privatisation they can now levy a charge for readings outside of their normal visits.

As you can see they do provide it free of charge for new properties.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Grâce à un boîtier posé à l'extérieur de votre logement, votre compteur est relevé sans aucune intervention de votre part et sans que votre présence soit nécessaire.

L'installation du boîtier est gratuite dans le cas d'un logement neuf

[/quote]

Isn't this the cream-coloured meter housing you see at the side of  gates/walls at the front of modern properties? We have one at the end of our fence; it contains a duplicate reader to the one inside our garage and it  is opened and read by the man who comes round in a van twice a year at meter-reading time. But I don't think this is the same gizmo that Hoddy was talking about.

Sue