change in British online banking?

Patf

Did anyone hear on the news that british banks are going to introduce a new way of getting to your bank account online? Some kind of handset which is to be sent to customers by post. Sounds a very big project and as someone asked who will pay for it? Can anyone confirm this and if so when? I've had a quick search on Google but can't see anything. Pat.

In the UK press yesterday or the day before - Barclays are to send pin and chip type terminals to a proportion of their online customers which means you have to put in the bank card AND also type in a number which will be randomly generated on the screen to access your onine account.  From memory, but that was the gist!

There was something about it on yesterday's 'Today' programme.

I think it was Natwest, who are going to distribute 500k terminals to their internet customers.  You'd then use your debit card + PIN in just the same way as if you were at an ATM.

Somebody 'independent' was on saying that it would provide a higher level of security (???) If that's true, then I guess it's self-funding, because ultimately we all pay for the fraud that takes place.

Thanks to all - so I didn't imagine it. We bank with Lloyds who I suppose might do a similar thing. Living in France, we rely  entirely on online banking  eg for transferring money etc. We have an address in UK for correspondence, but it might be awkward for people who only have a french address if they are sending out materials. Pat.

We used to have a terminal with BOS that was just connected to a phone line. At that time I was anti computers and would happily have got by with a pencil and paper ! BOS decided to do away with their system and go to internet banking  - so we bought a computer......then I had to learn how to use it............seems we are going backward ?

[quote user="Patf"]Thanks to all - so I didn't imagine it. We bank with Lloyds who I suppose might do a similar thing. Living in France, we rely  entirely on online banking  eg for transferring money etc. We have an address in UK for correspondence, but it might be awkward for people who only have a french address if they are sending out materials. Pat.[/quote]Both my UK banks (Nationwide and A&L) seem very happy to post all my correspondance etc to a French address without problems.  Ergo, should they introduce systems of this sort in the future, I cannot imagine that French residents would be excluded.  I guess we just have to wait and see. When a poster above says these will be sent to "some" customers of the banks in question, then I assume it is experimental at this stage anyway.

If you go to the Reuters site (www.reuters.co.uk) and click on Personal Finance (lefthand side) then go to the bottom of that page there is an article titled Barclays cracks down on online fraud.

Be interesting to see how it all works in reality, especially for those of us living here.

Handset idea is not new in the UK.

I have an HSBC business account that's been using this system to access my account online for about a year.

It's a small device around the size of a car key fob that generates a different six digits every time you need to log on. I guess these numbers while appearing to be random are actually pre-programmed in some way.

I'm told as the crooks are becoming more clever, it's to prevent criminal trojan key loggers stealing your details.

It arrived by post and I had to acknowledge receipt at the time, but I don't remember how.

I pay hefty charges for my business account and my free HSBC personal account is still accessed via the normal password method.

I don't see any problem with setting this up wherever you live, but knowing the banks attitude to what they give away free, it may cost.