House prices, one for ALBF!!!!

Chancer

Just showed the site to my French pal who has been building, renovating, selling and renting multiple properties since forever, he was very impressed and had not known it was there, we checked out a few that he has sold in the last couple of years and they were present and correct.

What was interesting to observe was that he was not in the slightest bit interested in the sales price, the number of pièces principales or the superficie, the only importance to him was the price/m2, the popular range, the extreme highs and lows he would look at the location and the superficie of the plot to see if it had a lot of land (possibly development potential) or very little meaning no parking.

I know ALBF has been banging on about it for years but it  does make more sense to say you can buy property in troudeculdemondeville for around €1500/m2 than you can buy a house in commuterville for £200000 even knowing the number of bedrooms.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the information, Chancer. I'm sure the information will be very interesting, if I could gain access to it!

As far as I can tell I need to create 'mon espace', and to be able to do that I need some reference numbers from my French tax return. However, having no French income and not living in France, I do not submit returns in France. We have a holiday cottage (for the next two weeks anyway, as we are about to complete on its sale), and I do have a fiscal reference on the taxe d'habitation, but I need another 7 digit reference which I don't believe I have. Am I stuck or am I guilty of not looking hard enough?

I would be interested to know how the price we achieved for our cottage measures up to other sales, but more useful will be prices in the area we plan to move to next year.

To get a password for the impots espace you need:

• La connexion par saisie des 3 identifiants

Pour accéder à votre espace, vous pouvez vous connecter en saisissant vos 3 identifiants

- votre numéro fiscal,

- votre numéro de télédéclarant,

- votre revenu fiscal de référence.

But you won't have the last of these and possibly not the penultimate one either

Thank you NormanH. This is as far as I had got - unfortunately I don't have a numéro de télédéclarant. The last one seems to want an amount and I thought my taxe d'habitation would do, but without the 2nd numéro I can't proceed.

Thanks also alittlebitfrench. I had a look and it was a help but it doesn't seem to include the details that I think the site originally referred to contains.

I will spend more time looking for a way round this. Possibly phone a friend.

• 2 months later...
Hi I'm new to the forum and am considering purchasing a property in France. I don't want to be a Brit abroad as I saw in one post on this site and am trying to do my research before I commit.

The house price index referred to sounds really interesting to make sure I'm not overpaying but I cant find a site for the area I am hoping to purchase. Aucun - 65400 Haute Pyrenees

Please could someone help and point me in the right direction.

Also I have asked the Agent seling the property how much the Taxe Habitation would be and I am told that it depends on my income. Is this my worl wide income or just my income in France which is zero!

again any help that you can offer would be gratefully received.

I don't think you can view that site unless you have an account with the French tax authorities.

The taxe d'habitation depends on various things such as income, number in the family and age. If you are resident in France you get a RFR on your tax demand which is the amount that the authorites consider you have as income after certain things have been taken into account.

I don't know how it works for non-residents but I would tend to think that you just pay full whack.

It tends to be higher on second homes.

It's base is calculated on a nominal rental value and each commune decides what % of that it will tax.

Have a look at this site:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F42

'montant' on the menu

Les Rosbif vert wrote :

The house price index referred to sounds really interesting to make sure I'm not overpaying but I cant find a site for the area I am hoping to purchase. Aucun - 65400 Haute Pyrenees

As ALBF said this site might help a bit :

http://www.meilleursagents.com/prix-immobilier/aucun-65400/

Sorry you will have to cut and paste the link as I am using Chrome. The site is a tad slow to load but the info for our area was relevant when I input our postcode.

Sue

Thank you suein56 this is most helpful. I can see that the house prices have been falling over the last 10 years (no surprise there.)

I was able to do a specific search on the type of house and the price being asked is just over the estimated figure for houses of that type in the area, again no great surprise.

The good thing is that the figure I had in mind for the property is within the range calculated by the Immobiliers so I feel more confident that I won't be being an "offensive foreigner" when I make a lower offer.

Many thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Thanks Norman & Woolybanana,

I am expecting to pay "full whack" and to be "screwed" on a second home.

As a potential part time Frenchman I'm not expecting to be able to obtain any discounts on the tax.

The site seems says that "...the municipalities may decide to apply a mark-up between 5% and 60%", so that will be 60% then! What I still seem to be missing is 60% of what, I appreciate that its the nominal rental income for the house involved but where can I find out what that is?

I have asked the agent selling the property how much the tax is but all she says is that the seller didn't pay it as she was an old lady! I vaguely remember reading something that the full tax before discounts is shown on the back of the tax demand form, so I'm not sure what they cant tell me what that figure is. Am I missing something here?

Thanks again.

"The site seems says that "...the municipalities may decide to apply a

mark-up between 5% and 60%", so that will be 60% then!"

(not necessarily:  La taxe est égale à la multiplication du montant obtenu par les taux d'imposition votés par les collectivités territoriales.

What I still

seem to be missing is 60% of what": THIS

Valeur locative cadastrale

Définition mise à jour le 04 avril 2016

Niveau

de loyer annuel potentiel que la propriété concernée produirait si elle

était louée. Sert de base de calcul aux impôts directs locaux : taxe

d'habitation, taxe foncière, cotisation foncière des entreprises (CFE).

Article 1409