Buying a property in France or maybe selling... then watch 'CHASSEURS D'APPART' on M6

Chasseurs d'appart has to be then best TV programme on French telly. It is so addictive. If you are interested in French property or thinking of buying or selling !!!!!!!!.... you have to watch this programme. It will save you money and protect your investment.

The commentator is Stéphane Plaza (who is the founder of the very famous French estate agency with the same name) and he knows his stuff and he is so interesting to listen to. He is like the French version (or opposite lol) of Leven.

Poor old ALBF has in the past been ridiculed about the advice he gives about buying/selling a house in France. Well if you listen carefully, the French buyers needs/wants and the advice given in the programme is practically the same as mine.

So forget a place in the sun (it is complete and utter nonsense) and watch this programme.

It is both....but not as tacky as UK reality. I would say it is a lighthearted programme about a serious issue.

They had an episode on exactly where we live/rent in Paris (well the suburb) and the advice given during the programme was invaluable as we may have to buy here. Many things that we never considered.

If you are reading this thread from the UK, watch this programme. This is real France. Not some made up nonsense by UK companies trying flog property.

It gives very good advice.

Stephane Plaza is a comedian now which makes him a natural choice for the programme. He knows his stuff and he presents in a humorous way.

The same type of shows in the UK you have Alied Jones, or some bloke who used to be in Brookside presenting or in the case of 'a place in the sun' some dense bimbo in a tight dress wearing no bra. Which says it all.

At least with the French show you get someone who knows the industry inside out and you can trust what they say.

In terms of watching French telly, well millions of Brits can watch the Jeremy Kyle show in the Dordogne with a VPN so I guess it works the same in the for the millions of French living in the UK being able to watch French telly.

Under              

Divertissement[I](Entertainment.....)

Résumé

(Attention, l’accès à ce programme nécessite d’avoir un compte (gratuit) sur 6Play)

Mégane,

23 ans et Lou, 27 ans, sont ensemble depuis plus d'un an et vivent en

location dans un petit studio à Paris. Ce qui les réunit avant tout

c'est le web. Elle est chef de projet digital et lui est concepteur,

rédacteur. Ils se définissent eux même comme des geek puisque, même en

dehors de leurs activités professionnelles, ils passent leur temps à

jouer en réseau. Et c'est justement leur mode de vie qui demande un

appartement plus grand : Lou adore jouer avec ses potes jusqu'à 4h du

matin et Mégane voudrait pouvoir dormir tranquille ! Il leur faut donc

une pièce supplémentaire pour « geeker » à volonté ! Et ce couple

original voudrait, évidemment, un appartement « atypique » !

Stéphane Plaza va-t-il réussir à trouver un appartement parisien en

location assez original pour eux ?

Claudia, 30 ans et Alejandro, 36 ans, sont originaires de Roumanie et

sont mariés depuis 7 ans. Ils ont 2 enfants : Larisa, 6 ans et Stéphane,

4 ans. Elle est commerciale dans la publicité et lui est acheteur dans

les travaux publics. Mais il est avant tout champion de rugby ! Une

passion qui occupe beaucoup de place dans sa vie. Depuis 2010, ils

vivent en location dans la banlieue de Rouen, à Grand Quevilly, et

veulent aujourd'hui investir dans leur première maison pour laisser un

patrimoine à leurs enfants.

Thibault Chanel réussira-t-il à trouver la maison idéale pour cette

petite famille ?

Nadine, 58 ans et Michel, 59 ans, sont nordistes d'origine et vivent à

quelques kilomètres de Dunkerque. Ils sont parents de 3 grandes filles

et les grands-parents de 8 petits enfants ! Michel est médecin

généraliste et Nadine a consacré sa vie à élever ses enfants. Leur rêve à

tous les deux est d'acheter une grande maison dans laquelle ils

pourront accueillir leur grande famille. Bientôt retraité, Michel

voudrait quitter la grisaille du nord pour le soleil du sud-ouest. Ils

ont un budget conséquent, des économies de toute une vie, pour acheter

un château, un manoir ou une maison de maître. 

Vanessa Widhoff, qui va devoir sillonner toute la région pour trouver un

bien d'exception, va-t-elle trouver cette maison que toute la famille

attend ?

So it isn't only the Brits who want to move to the South West in retirement?

You don't have to watch it on replay. You can watch endless repeated episodes on Saturday afternoon with a French VPN. You can watch it live every weekday night as well. I guess that is what the French do living in the UK ???? I can't see them sitting down and watching 'Ice Road Truckers' at night or 'Cops with helicopters, dogs and cameras....or what ever the latest variation of the same pointless reality cop programmes is on at the moment. I flipin hate those programmes. Why do the cops always sit in a dark room talking with a monologue 'cop' voice ? Seriously.

Anyway..

Regarding your second point, Brits continually move to the South West because they are lemmings. Not because they want to live there. They just think they want to live there. Or, the only property for sale on 'expat' websites (like place in the sun/right move/greenacres) tends only to be in the South West. Who knows ?

Anyway, it is still the best 'advice' programme out there for buying a French property. Unless you can point me towards another one !!!!

Not everyone watches TV nor do they need a TV programme to give them ideas. You might think that's what all British people do, but it's not; some actually know France very well and know the sort of place they would enjoy living in. A bit like all the French people who have moved to our small town in the Gard from all areas of France.

You are missing the point Gardengirl...

Three estate agents are given the task of finding a property for a client within a given area with a given set of criteria for a given budget. There is a lot of information there if you watch it. It is a good programme watch if you want to move to France. That is why I started this thread.

It is a FRENCH programme for the FRENCH...for ***** sake.

Brits are so fippin arrogant. Thank god for Brexit. That is all I can say.

Not watched this program and doubt I can get it.

My feeling about house buying is that it is probably the biggest purchase we make and we actually pay more attention to car buying than we do a house, even me, and I am a very pragmatic person. The house we now live in, we did actually visit about 4 or five times, another which we put an offer on, was only two visits. And the first we bought prior to moving back, we saw for the first time on a flying visit, after we had bought it.

And I do not believe for one minute that having an idea of where we want to live, even knowing the area, means that it is going to be what we were expecting, or great or perfect. Just the luck of the draw if it is.

Anyone want a couple of pages of neighbour problems in France and the UK for that matter, because I have my own stories, and just about one from most people I know!

ALBF, I know enough french people to know how varied their needs and desires are when buying or renting. From those that look right down their noses to any idea of living en campagne, to those who really dream and want to get away from city living..... and those who lived en campagne for years, wanting to move into the city.......  and so it goes on.  One thing though, work always plays an important part of where the french people I know, live. And lets face it in the past SW France was being deserted by the young population, due to lack of employment/prospects.  Hence the cheaper property years ago which must have seemed like bargain basement to those from other countries. Daresay that the influx has changed things to some extent, has it???

@ Wooly

No, on both counts.

I have taken the time to create a thread that highlights a French TV programme that anyone looking to buy a property in France should watch. The thread has been hijacked by dippy Brits picking and chipping away at the thread and they have never seen the programme.

What is wrong with the British in France ?????

If I was looking to buy a property in France I would be thankful that someone passed on this information.

You are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

For those who may wish to watch the programme

http://www.6play.fr/m6/direct

is the first step.

You will have to sign up, and it may be that you need to either be in France or have a VPN with a French IP.

There is also the possbility to watch in replay

http://www.6play.fr/m6    

with the same proviso.

I may be a dippy Brit who chips away at a useful thread rather than a helpful contributor such as ALBF, but I do see the need for links and practical advice on how to watch this trivial entertainment [6]

@ Chancer

There is nothing wrong with apartment living.....not that the programme is only about apartments...it is about houses to.

I would rather live in a 2 bed apartment in a city with things to do and as far away from Bergerac airport as possible than some stony house (same price) nonsense in the middle of nowhere (with nothing to do) that you can never sell.

@ Norman

I have no idea about receiving French telly from the UK, but I guess it can be done. Satellite dish pointing in the right direction may help ???

If you think the programme is trivial, why is it so popular in France ?

You know, if we had to move back to the UK, my OH and kids will insist that I get French telly installed. If that means buying a very very long TV cable attached to our 'maison secondaire' and passing it across the English channel towards Sussex then so be it. They will not watch that English Cr&p.

I was just a fun thread Gardengirl. But I do actually think it would be useful for potential British buyers of French property to watch the programme. Lots of information in the programme. It is fantastic when you get into it.

But what the hell do I know....lol.

I guess if potential expat buyers prefer to take the advice of a British women on UK TV with no knowledge of the French property market but has her bits hanging it out....well that is fair enough.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]@ C.

@ Norman

I have no idea about receiving French telly from the UK, but I guess it can be done..[/quote]

So why did you say above

"You don't have to watch it on replay. You can watch endless repeated episodes on Saturday afternoon with a French VPN"

and if you have no idea about how to watch this programme from the UK why are you going on about it?

Surely if it is to be of any use it is essential that it can be seen?

We may be dippy, but you seem very confused.

Norman, if you were in the UK and planning of moving to France in a year or so (especially with kids), would you not get French telly installed to try and pick up the language ?????????

Or are Brits so gifted at learning languages that they think they will pick it up in a couple of months or so of moving over ? Lol

I refer back to my comment about, Brexit.

I prefer 'recherche appartement ou maison' - also on M6 as the 3 estate agents featured each week are not in competition or even taking part in a competition so are genuinely concerned with finding their clients a place to live and call home, rather than trying to win themselves a prize and glory !!

You can even watch this programme on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67aRSPRah4

The retired GP (or MT or even toubib in French) and his wife want to buy a château near to Biarritz - so the French do dream of retiring to a castle by the sea - the same as some other people.

Sue

Edit : cannot do links on Chrome - more's the pity.

Watched a little on you tube......... is that DREADFUL LOUD music  on throughout the program?????

Looked like tosh to me, but what do I know, and that creepy man dancing beurk[:-))]

I did watch it for as long as I could bear and the appts and chateau and maisons, all looked very french......... rather like my friends homes...... because I know people who live en appt and in houses..... and for one, the chateau is just the holiday home...... split between the family.