TV & Taxe d'habitation

tegwini

Does anyone know if one is obliged to pay the TV charge - we only visit our Fr house as & when & NO tv ( but aerial on roof left by the seller) & doubtless it doesn't work- knowing what we have had to sort out so far!    No plans as yet for TV.

What can I do - bill is higher than expected, especially with TV added.

Regards & thanks

Tegwini

Legally, if you have the capacity to receive TV transmissions, such as the aerial, then you are liable to pay!

Remove the aerial and then you must certify to your Impot that you have no capacity to receive: then they should rebate the facture.

The regulations are quite specific on TV licensing in France: only a narrow group of persons are able to receive a waiver; this includes those whose income is below a maximum threshhold, those with invalid/disabled children up to (from memory) 24 years old and some concessions for studnets.

These are all on the waiver form they will send you.

Whilst a number of Brits like to think that because they only have satellite they are outside the scope, this is wrong: you pay!

Simply having an aerial does not mean that you have to pay the TV licence. However if you have anything which includes a tuner (Video recorder, PC, etc) then you have to pay, even if you haven't got an aerial.

Si vous êtes imposable à la taxe d’habitation et si votre domicile est équipé d'un poste de télévision, vous devez payer la redevance audiovisuelle quel que soit le mode d'acquisition du téléviseur : achat, don, prêt, succession, que vous soyez ou non propriétaire du téléviseur. 

La redevance s’applique aux téléviseurs et aux dispositifs de réception assimilés (par exemple: les magnétoscopes ou vidéo-projecteurs équipés d’un tuner).

I understand that tax will not need to be paid for the first 2 years after a new house is built. We will be taking possession of our brand new apartment 'in the first quarter of 2008', and will be gradually moving in. So that should take us to the end of 2009. I imagine that means we will have to have a stand-alone TV licence, if we should get a TV. Does anyone know anything about this please.

Thanks, Jo

You will be liable for the tax d'habitation  wef from 1 January 2009, payable November 2009.

The two year exemption only applies to the taxe fonciere, so you will pay that from 1 January 2010 , payable in October 2010. However if  the apartment was completed this year, and you take possession next year, then you will start paying a year earlier.

Unless you notify them that you don't have a TV the charge will automatically be added to the Tax d'hab. If you buy a new TV in France  then the shop will automatically notify the authorities of the start date.

no you dont have to pay you can visit the hotel D'impots explain you havent got a tv they will ask you to sign an attestation and you will not have to pay. If you buy a television in france in the future when you by the television you will have to fill in paperwork that will automatically be forwarde to the impots for you to pay for you license the next time. 

Many thanks all -

Toodlepips how long ago did you write to them & what dept are you in ?    - we're in the Vienne & I wonder if there's a  national policy to accept,  for example your claim that you have no TV.   I am sure it's a lot harder to attempt such here with the BBC.

Shimble-not in France until next holiday - just after Christmas & the bill is due before that - presumably a letter would be acceptable?

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]  I wonder if there's a  national policy to accept,  for example your claim that you have no TV.   I am sure it's a lot harder to attempt such here with the BBC.

Shimble-not in France until next holiday - just after Christmas & the bill is due before that - presumably a letter would be acceptable?

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

All resident households are required to confirm they do not own a TV on their tax declaration.

If you cannot declare it, it's accepted you own one until you say otherwise.

If you do not own a TV and have been charged for a TV licence, you have until 31st December to claim.

[quote]Je n’ai pas de téléviseur et j’ai oublié de le signaler sur ma déclaration de revenus, que dois- je faire ?

Si, au 1er janvier 2007, aucune de vos résidences (ou celles d’une

personne rattachée à votre foyer fiscal) n’était équipée d’un

téléviseur, vous deviez le signaler sur votre déclaration de revenus en

cochant la case prévue à cet effet (case ØRA, en première page).

Si vous ne l’avez pas cochée et que vous êtes imposé à la

redevance,  vous devrez déposer une réclamation, par courrier auprès de

votre centre des impôts, dans laquelle vous déclarerez ne détenir,

ainsi que les personnes qui habitent avec vous, aucun téléviseur dans

aucune de vos résidences.[/quote]

if you aren't resident, and hence don't complete the income tax return that normally captures the info, there is a form that they send out specifically asking if you have a TV.

If the answer is no you return the form signing the declaration , which in total amounts to

PARTIE A RENVOYER A L’ADRESSE CI-DESSOUS

DSF : CDI : SAID :

FIP : régime :

? Je déclare qu’au 1er janvier 2***, aucune de mes résidences (principale, secondaire) n’est équipée d’un poste récepteur

de télévision ni d’un dispositif assimilé.

? Je déclare être rattaché pour l’impôt sur le revenu au foyer fiscal de mes parents, situé à l’adresse suivante :

…………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………………………

Votre N° de téléphone (facultatif) :

A , le

Signature :

[quote user="tegwini"]

Many thanks all -

Toodlepips how long ago did you write to them & what dept are you in ?    - we're in the Vienne & I wonder if there's a  national policy to accept,  for example your claim that you have no TV.   I am sure it's a lot harder to attempt such here with the BBC.

[/quote]

I just wrote to hotel D'impots and that was that.  Exactly the same as I did in the UK. 

hi

I had the opposite problem.  For our maison secondaire, we had paid for our telivision for a couple of years and then for 2006 it wasn't included.  I contacted the local impots people via e-mail and was told there was no immediate mechanism for taking a payment.  After 4 months I received a one off bill for the tv licence.  This years tax bill includes it.  I think they must have assumed that maison secondaire owners were paying it via their maison principal's tax bill.  If your maison principal is not in france, the you were not paying.  I might be wrong about this expanation.    A friend of mine, in the same position, has not sorted his out yet.  Check your tax bills just in case.

which one do you tick if you dont have a tv because I have 4 boxes that I can tick, is the one that says   " je declare qu au 1 er janvier 2007, aucune de mes residences" the one to tick and do you send it to your local place ie mine says 79308 bressuire, what does the SAID and CDI mean